Monday, November 22, 2010

A Lovely Santa Arrives and Butterflies Flutter to Our Cottage

I got a lovely surprise in the mail from Lyn of Blue Bird Quilts who sent me a beautiful hanging Santa. I was thrilled with it, as I love Santas. I have collected Santas over the years, and this year I will be adding another one to my collection. They have this wonderful Santa at a department store named Heatons , and that Santa has to join my collecton. Thanks so much Lyn! You couldn't have picked a more lovely surprise.

I also wanted to thank Cheryl from Ozark Castle Blog. She sent me a bag of applique pieces that all form into butterflies, so I will have to think about what kind of quilt I will utilize them in. The pieces are all so colorful, so it will be fun to use. Here is a link to Cheryl's blog that will show you what the butterflies look like. Aren't they cute? I have a bag of various pieces that will form wonderful butterflies.

Now, as to a bit of bad news. You know I had shingles a while back. Most of it was in my head, which is not the best place to have shingles. Sometimes, the after effects can be infecton and pain, as the infection is usually in the nerve endings. Well, yesterday, my head was throbbing to say the least, and I went to the doctor's. She immediately said that she was shocked how much weight I had lost. That was nice to hear when she said that! Then after examining my head, she confirmed that I had infecton in two areas in my head...both affecting nerve endings. I was put on two antiobiotics. This has happened a few times before, so I know these antibiotics are good. Shingles is no fun for sure.
Well, even though I was feeling a bit sick, I stubbornly took my walk after the doctor's visit.Joe was not happy that I did that , and to our chagrin, we did not even get to see Bobbi or Katie...our luck. They were probably off romping in the hills. By the time, I got home, I just wanted to relax the rest of the day. I will have to admit that I shouldn't have probably gone for that walk, as I was bollocksed when I got home.
I am waiting for my backing fabric, binding, and batting for my circle quilt. In the meantime, I am going to make a paper pieced throw pillow to go with the new Dresden pillowcases and circle quilt. I will start it tomorrow, if my head is not throbbing in pain. I am using a lovely Carol Doak star for the front of the pillow.
That's all the news....mostly good, a bit bad...Hey, no one can say that I have not faced challenges this year. One can only say that next year has got to be easier.


28 comments:

Tennye said...

Sorry to hear you are feeling bad. My youngest daughter had shingles her senior year of high school. Dr said it was the worst case he had ever seen. She has not had any of the things you are talking about though. Hope the meds work quickly.

Gene Black said...

I am glad to see you got some happy mail. You certainly had your share of woe this year.

Jocelyn said...

I hope you are feeling better Micki. It's no fun being down and not feeling good.

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful to receive something wonderful for your collection. Shingles are not fun and that is not a great place to get them, glad you got your antibiotics and hope you take a day to rest. I hate being down, but sometimes we have to sit and relax and let our bodies heal.

Debbie

Mystica said...

I am so sorry about the shingles and admire you for your tenacity in the walking. For me the slightest excuse is enough to put it off. I just hate to walk but have to force myself to do so. that is why I admire the Aussies so much. They are so into everything physical. Even walking in the supermarket is a stomp!!! no leisurely pacing for them. I look a wimp in comparison!


Thanks for the links. I will go look.

webbsway said...

Those dog-gone , hateful, sneaky, painful,contrary,sneaky, low-life, mean, cruel , atrocious shinkles! How DARE they show up again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you tried the process of "tapping"?

Hands Sew Full said...

Oh Dear! I've had shingles and they are not fun! I hope you get better quickly. Those were some lovely gifts arriving in your mail though I hope they cheer you.

Needled Mom said...

I'll tell you that shingles is a really dreadful disease. Everyone should pay and get their vaccine because shingles is BAD!!!! I am so sorry that you continue to have problems with it Micki. Take care of yourself and allow the body to heal.

Jackie's Stitches said...

Micki...you poor thing...you've really been put through it this year. Please take care of yourself and please let Joe take care of you! He's not going to steer you wrong.

Hope you're feeling better in a few days when the antibiotics kick in. Many hugs to you.

Sonya Badgley said...

Hi Micki,
I'm so sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well again. Those shingles can be a very nasty thing. Make sure you get plenty of rest.
The santa is adorable. I hope that it brought your spirits up a little.
Blessings and prayers sent your way,
Sonya

Maggey and Jim said...

I am hoping that will be true for you..
Hugs,
Maggey

Nedra said...

You have had a time of it lately. I hope 2011 is a much healthier year!

Just Ramblin' said...

I'm so sorry you have had to deal with shingles and now infection. I know how painful they can be. Hope the med's will kick in soon and you'll be back on top of things in no time. Take care! Nola

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Ah....the seasons of our lives. Onassis once said something to the effect of not being able to measure good and bad....for one may come from the other....I can't remember I read it so long ago....but I can tell you....even when life is most challengeing....there is always lots to be greatful for. I am greatful for meeting you. I've enjoyed our little chats and learning about your life....a mini vacation from my life and a pleasure to hear about your journeys :)

Hugs,
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Dear Micki, sorry to hear the Shingles have come back...and hope it clears up quickly for you.....our Jess has recently had them as well.....glad Santa Arrived safe and sound....couldnot resist him ....and knew you would welcome him....Hugs Lyn

Maria said...

Sorry to hear those horrible shingles have come back to bother you again.Hope you feel beter soon. Just rest a few days and then when you go for your walk Bobbi and Kate may have returned.

Searchfamilies said...

I am so sorry you are not doing so good & hope the antibiotics will kick in & help real quick
What a lovely Santa I am about to go & look at the butterflies
You take care of yourself & if Jo says no walks then listen to him he has your best interest at heart
Hugs Janice

Karen said...

I have a friend who has a collection of large hand made Santas. Many she did herself.

I have always liked Santas of any sort for the holiday season.

Colleen's Blog Long Island NY said...

Hi Mickie, I am keeping you in my prayers. You have had a terrible year. Next year has to be better. Don't overextend yourself.

Loralynn said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you are feeling poorly! At least you have a couple of good things to help lift your spirits! I hope you will be feeling better soon.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Micki Sweetie...
I am so sorry to hear that you have more infection. Honey listen to the dr.s and take your medicine. Joe is the boss until you get better so please listen to him, and let him take care of you. He is so good at that.

I love your Santa and I will pop over and take a look at the butterfly patterns you received. I know they are something special.

Please rest my friend. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. From my home to yours with love. I am so thankful for our friendship. You have given me SO much love and happiness to my heart.

Many hugs and so much love, Sherry

crafty pug said...

hope you are feeling better soon - glad that you have some medicine to help. love the butterflies you received - they will make something lovely i am sure!
xx

crafty pug said...

hope you are feeling better soon - glad that you have some medicine to help. love the butterflies you received - they will make something lovely i am sure!
xx

Mama Pea said...

So sorry to hear that. Glad you caught it early. I know someone who had it behind his eyes. Basically blinded him until he was healed (which took over a year). I hope you feel better soon!

I have a question. What does "bollucks" mean? I hear it all the time from the British in movies (e.g., "Oh, bollucks."). I always thought "Oh, shit" or "Whatever." I am curious as to what it actually means. Thanks! :-)

quiltmom anna said...

SHingles is not a fun illness Micki- so sorry to see them return- I hope you are soon on the mend and feeling much better.
Happy mail is good- so nice to have friends that brighten the day with the little joys of life.
Take care of yourself - Rest relax and enjoy a very Happy Thanksgiving.
Warmest regards,
Anna

Villa-loredana said...

Hello dear, thanks for this link, nice to have a chart of butterflies, hope that you have received my email about the cream. Sincerelly Loredana.

joe tulips said...

It appears that it is really hard to slow you down!! I am with you in hoping for a better, healthier new year! Take care of yourself.

Maggi said...

Just catching up Micki, so sorry to hear about the latest problems. You have certainly had your share of them this year. I hope that you are improving by now.