Monday, November 1, 2010

Latest News From Surgeon


I just got back from the hospital,and it was a long, hard trip. The surgeon told me that with my severe arthritis in both knees, the percentages of success would not be great if I had surgery...Actually the odds would only be 50:50 and there was also risk of infection. He listed the three main problems I am having...First, if I try to bend my left leg 90 degrees, my leg goes into a spasm and locks. Second problem is that I don't have a good range of bending my knee, especially when I need to bend my leg backwards, like what you would do if you were trying to get your shoe on and finally, my severe arthritis. He suggested that I continue with therapy, and do it more extensively, and special directions will be given to the therapist as to what types of excercises he wants me to do, basically trying to increase the range of movement, esp having to do with bending . I should get the elliptical rider, plus continue with the therapy. I will have to be careful about placing my leg down until I get my legs stronger, as he can't guarantee that it won't go into a spasm and lock. He says that it will take a few months to see a change, as right now my legs are pretty weak, and all this doesn''t happen overnight.....Well, no duh!
Oh, I got a compliment for going down in weight, and got my pat on the back...He noticed that as soon as I walked in....lots of compliments there....That was when I started crackin' with the jokes....He smiled and joined in a bit....I think he didn't know what to make of me.

I decided that it was good news....no surgery was alright by me. I will just have to work at increasing the strength in my legs. That was it...Joe took me to The Quiet Moment and I had a really nice, healthy salad, and he had a small Irish breakfast. You should have seen me eating my salad with my left leg up on a chair.
That's the latest news. I am buying a more comfortable ottaman for keeping my leg up while I am sewing, etc.I have to call Donegal and see if the new elliptical riders are in yet. Don't ask how much that will cost, but it is good for me, so what the heck! The surgeon wants to see me in two months to see how all this has improved my legs. I am now resting at home and watching tv...it was a long day.

50 comments:

Betty said...

I am so sorry to hear about your knees, but glad to hear about no surgery for now. My Cousin had to have surgery on both knees. I will say a prayer for healing.

Willow

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Sounds like great advice Mick - hope it gives you improvement.

Wacky Woman said...

Oh dear, sorry about your knees. I do know that infections can be a horrid thing to go through. One of my good friends had that happen and it was awful. Hey, maybe that new bicycle can be a prescription. Take care, Marilyn

Anonymous said...

I always think surgery should be a last resort, so in my book this is good news. I know you have a lot of hard work ahead, but it does indeed sound like good advice. Best wishes going forward.

Sonya Badgley said...

Hi Micki,
I'm sorry to hear of your bad trouble with your knees. It's a blessing you don't have to have surgery (or shouldn't anyway). The Ellipticals can be expensive but it's cheaper than surgery!:) I think it will help you too.
Prayers are going up for you.
Blessings,
Sonya

WoolenSails said...

I have an elliptical and I love using them, really easy on the legs. I have bad knees too, but I keep exercising them to keep them strong. Another great thing is swimming, do you have an indoor pool that you can use? That is the best way to work on the muscles without hurting the joints.

Debbie

Judy S. said...

Glad to hear you won't be having surgery, Micki. Hope that bike does the trick and soon. Hugs.

Jocelyn said...

Oh Micki I think it is wonderful news that you don't have to have surgery. I know you will work hard on the physical therapy and hopefully you can regain strength.

Maggey and Jim said...

Well at least some good news.. I know they can't give any guarantees with that surgery..Hope you get along with the elip.. it is a good machine..
Hugs,
Maggey

Bunny said...

Awww am sorry to hear you have more work to do to get your running legs going. Good that you don't need surgery but it is no fun doing Physiotherapy pain in the ####. Take care of yourself don't work too too hard. Congrats on the weight loss. Good for you. Hugs

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Good news! You would have lots of hard even with the surgery so it's good that you can do the hard work and it should help the knees.

I don't know how your taxes work over there but here in the States if a doctor writes a "prescription" for exercise equipment you can use it as part of your taxes. We did that when we had to pull up all the carpet and lay down tile because of my asthma/allergies.

Karen said...

The elliptical rider looks kind of fun! Congrats on the weight loss. I will be praying for healing for you. Hang in there - it can only get better.

Peace to you,
Karen

karenstreehousequilts.blogspot.com

Quilts And Pieces said...

Does sound like a long day, but good advice. Lets hope with a bit more work and time things get better for you.

nutmegg said...

Hi Micki,great news that your not having surgery,I hope that in time the therapy works for you....xoxo

scraphappy said...

I guess it is a good news bad news scenario. Good you won't have to go through surgery, but bad that there isn't a "fix" for your knee. I hope the therapy will work in the long run.

Nancy said...

HI Micki,

I'm so sorry to hear you are still in so much pain. That is a bummer. But it does sound like you are finding a way to continue sewing. You go, girl!

Zlaty said...

HI Micki!

No surgery is good news! I know it will be a long recovery, but Joe will take care of you! I know the feeling of needing to keep your leg up on a chair. Loosing weight is great for your knees! I wish I had a magic wand and make your knees better!

Hugs,
Zlaty

Hands Sew Full said...

I am happy for you and for Joe that you don't have to have surgery at this point. I hope that with therapy and exercise the pain in your knees will decrease to a bearable level. Good to know that you are finding a way around it so you can sew!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Good news about no surgery, but I now you have a lot of work ahead of you.

I'll keep good thoughts for you.

Billie

barb's creations said...

((((HUGS)))) Micki.Hope you get lots of improvement with the new regime for your knees.I love your Pollyanna approach to it.Keep your spirits up,we're all cheering you on :) Barb.

Mommarock said...

Just trying to figure a way to hook up the elyptical machine to a battery pack to power your sewing machine so that you can sew....
Glad you don't have to go in for surgery. I'm sure DH breathed a sigh of relief.
Keep the positive attitude :)

Di said...

So sorry you're in pain from your knees, Micki, but you sound a very positive person, and your weight loss is proof of this. I pray the physic treatment will soon bring you some good pain relief.

Kath said...

Let's hope you can mend without the surgery.Lets hope the special rider does the trick.

Needled Mom said...

I was hoping that we would hear an update today, Micki. I am sure that both of you were thrilled to hear that they were not going to jump into surgery right away. I know Joe is at any rate. I so hope that the continued exercising of the legs will help the situation and that you will start to see the improvement sooner rather than later. I am sure the wight loss will help relieve some of the stress on the legs too. Way to go!!!!

jane p said...

Sounds like great news to me. You know when you get better is when you forget and become less careful. So you must be disciplined. Good luck.

Julia said...

I think surgery should always be a last resort,
I guess all you can do is listen to the Doctor and do the excerises.
Hope it improves and gets less painful.
Julia ♥

Carin said...

I hope that with the extra therapy your knees will do fine and so glad to hear you didn't have a surgery !!

KatieQ said...

Therapy is not easy, but it sure sounds like a better alternative than a risky operation.

Sarah Craig said...

No point in repeating what everyone else has already said, so I'm going to ask my burning question -

Is there really such a thing as a small Irish breakfast? Isn't that an oxymoron? ;-)

Quiltaholic said...

Well, okay, if you consider it good news, then good news it is! *HUGS* to you and good healing thoughts, vibes and prayers.

Sue said...

I'm sorry your knees are still giving you trouble. I'm sending reiki and energy to help you on that rider!

Gene Black said...

I would tell you to do the therapy faithfully, but I am sure that you will. So I will just send a warm hug.
Take care my dear Micki.

VickyB said...

BUMMER, but I am with you in your pain except mine is the lower back and I keep on getting the same answers, 'Nothing we can do for you" so No, I am not trying to be funny, I feel your pain. I am so sorry to hear about your knees. Let us all know if that new bicycle will give you relief. I'll stand in line to order one.

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

at least you're that much further ahead by knowing what you CAN do!
blessings on you & your health..

Greg said...

On top of the physical therapy I'd suggest some fabric therapy as well. At least 4 yards a day until you're either swimming in fabric or until you can't find Joe!! sending warm wishes and plenty of quilty hugs to you my friend.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Thinking of you Micki...Dzintra♥x

Searchfamilies said...

Well I guess you can say this is a tale of two halves, good news on no surgery but not so good as to why you can't have it
We have one of the elliptical riders I can't use it but DH does.
I pray that you will see an improvement, is there a Gym near you that you could go & try out the rider first
Well you take care & hope that you will improve even if it is slowly they say slowly but surely which is best take care
Hugs Janice

Quiltsmiles said...

Sending positive thoughts your way. With losing the weight you did, finding moments to strengthen your legs will come and I know you will succeed.
Keep your inner Pollyanna going.
8~)
Jane

Anonymous said...

Here's a big hug...wrap it around you at least 3 times a day....and know that we are all praying for you! fondly Sandy

I will find out more about the baby shower- hope you have a chance to check out Sew Many Ways- I am not sure how it will work, but I think it is in Feb.

Katie :o) said...

I'm glad that you won't have to have surgery... and sorry that it will take a couple of months to feel some relief. So glad you could still crack jokes! I had a pretty serious health issue a few years ago and had to go through some NOT FUN proceedures. I think laughter was the only thing that got me through them sanely! Apparently, I'm a bit of a comedian when I'm nervous. But, hey, if the doctors and nurses could have a good laugh before finally knocking me out, I think it could only help relax *them* for the proceedure as well :o) Good luck on your therapy for your leg! And ENJOY your elyptical machine!!! They really are fun and relaxing. Make sure you try out some different models, if possible. We got to step onto about 20 different models when we got ours and I was amazed how very different all of the strides felt. (We bought a Walkfit. More expensive than some models but not the most costly. And a very natural, not-jerky stride.) Have fun!

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Oh my Dear, I am so glad for the good news parts... No surgery now and weight loss. Wonderful, on the weight loss. Not easy, when used to all that delicious food. But probably very good, for many parts of your health. And for Joe too.

I often wonder how so many other older people, can continue to eat everything. And never say their doc is testing them, and they need to change. I kind of feel like "the only one." Silly I know. I'm not the only one. But it's actually refreshing to read that someone else is into this part of our health, too.

Courage to you. But you seem to have that. Not always easy to have it but..... You are really trying.

Lots and lots of good luck with the physical therapy.

And lots and lots of gentle hugs...

Kaaren said...

Great news with respect to not needing surgery, Micki.

I want you to know that just reading about your healthy eating has opened my eyes to the fact that I need to do more of the same. Sometimes the obvious has to come from the most unexpected sources. When I have my salad and baked salmon for dinner tonight, I'll be thinking about you and Joe.

Mama Pea said...

Glad to hear physical therapy is still a good option for you! I need to lose weight, too. The good news is with your physical therapy, that should help in that department, too! :-)

Melissa ;-) said...

Glad to hear you got some good news, at least. And a new ottoman and elliptical to come, too. You should get really nice ones. You deserve it.

Becky said...

Physical therapy and different types of exercise can do wonders. Take care of yourself:)

Patricia Lessell said...

Dear Micki,

I am so sorry about your knees but heck no surgery is good news. I do hope that the elliptical rider doesn't cost you too much but it looks really expensive.

Hope you are feeling heaps better soon.

Lots of Love
Patti xxx
American by birth and MOUTH but British otherwise

Beansieleigh said...

Gosh, I'm sorry to hear your troubles with arthritis.. I worry myself about it, wondering if I'll be able to still crochet, or climb stairs to take the dog out... I guess while I can, I should just keep counting my blessings, yes?.. Glad to hear you had a good day and good news at the doc's! Wishing you well Micki! ((hugs)) ~tina

Colleen Barnett said...

So I guess a knee replacement is out of the question? Wow, Micki, how horrid for you. But, with your spirit, you'll overcome whatever life throws your way! Good on ya, mate!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you are not going to have to go down the surgery route Micki. Fingers crossed that the therapy works, far better to strengthen the joins that way if you can. Congratulations too on losing the weight. Every little helps as far as knees are concerned.

Anonymous said...

Hello Micki, how you have good improvement with your knees...Hugs Lyn