
As I write this, Queen Elizabeth II has just arrived in Ireland. She is beginning a four day visit to Ireland, and she is the first English monarch to visit our Isle since Ireland's independence from England. She and the Duke of Edinburgh are disembarking from the plane now at Casement Aerodrome, and she is planning on having lunch with President Mary McAleese at the Presidential Mansion at Phoenix Park. There will be a 21 gun salute at the Presidential Mansion, where the English National Anthem will be played first followed by the Irish National Anthem. By the way, the name of the Presidential Mansion is Arus An Uachtarain. They are waiting for the Queen to arrive at the mansion.
Then this afternoon, the Queen will carry out the most significant engagement of the trip when she visits The Garden of Remembrance, where she will lay a wreath at the memorial for those who gave their lives to Irish independence.
It is quite the event! All the highlights of the trip will be on tv, so I will be watching it all. There is a very high security arranged for the trip, as you can well imagine.
It is quite the event! All the highlights of the trip will be on tv, so I will be watching it all. There is a very high security arranged for the trip, as you can well imagine.
Anyways, Joe and just got back from our long walk, and it was so nice. We walked around the Famine Graveyard, which I think I have mentioned, loops around our village, and the sea is in view all the time.
Enjoy your day!
Just thought I would keep you abreast of what is happening, as it is historically a very important event in Irish history.
12 comments:
How exciting to have such a historical visit underway! Your walk sounds lovely. My husband and I cannot hardly wait to visit Ireland. It is most definitely #1 on my bucket list :)
That must be quite a treat for some of the residents! To have a monarch of England lay down a wreath at The Garden of Remembrance is an amazing gesture and hopefully, one that is not soon forgotten.
Wow this IS an exciting event. The Queen has been such an amazing representative for her country for all these years. I love that she always seems cheerful and freshly put together :-) Enjoy your day!
That REALLY is a big day. I had read about her upcoming trip. It sounds wonderful.
How fun and exciting to have a visit from the Queen!!
I hope she enjoys Ireland as much as I did. It is about time she visits and pays her respects to the Irish.
Do they still have to pay taxes to her?
Enjoy the TV coverage of her visit...did you watch the royal wedding too?
Happy Sewing
The Lady is really a star in quilting, and this event I have seen on our tv, really a historical event. Have a nice time. Loredana
I have been following this tour on the news too. It is so historic isn't it.
It sounds like the weather must be fine to be able to take a nice walk. I think I might go and get some fresh air myself!
Take care and best wishes for a lovely week.
Natasha.
This is a very exciting event! I hope all goes very well and the Queen is welcomed.
Hugs XX
Barbara
It is an historical event, today in passing, I saw a newspaper headline that said the Queen is visiting Ireland. This will probably be the last major tour of places worldwide that the Queen will embark on given her age, so it's nice that Ireland has been included!!!
I know this is very exciting for Ireland.....thanks for the updates.
I watched her arrival in Ireland on the news and thought it fitting that as she left the airplane she was dressed in green. Very exciting, I'm sure.
Post a Comment