This month, I am starting something new. I will be highlighting two quilters a month instead of just one. This will double the number of bloggers that I can highlight in a year's time. For the first part of this month, my Star of the Month is Millie Kriel. Millie is a very talented, sweet lady, who makes her own quilts, but who also is a long arm quilter. She is truly multi-talented. I wanted to take this opportunity to also congratulate her for becoming an American citizen in January, and I am truly so happy for her. 
Here is some of Millie's wonderful quilts, so enjoy the eye candy first, and then have a cup of tea or coffee and enjoy reading her lovely interview.


Here is her Interview:
A bit about me:
I was born and raised in South Africa. We became citizens of the U.S. on January 18th this year. I have three wonderful kids and an adorable husband. I'll attach a pic of me and my eldest daughter at the ceremony (my hubby took it). I worked as a social worker in South Africa but now I'm a longarm machine quilter which I enjoy a lot more.
What inspires me:
This one's a toughie. Quilting has always come naturally to me. I was constantly surrounded by it and just fell in love. As far as inspiration goes, I can say that it's pretty scattered... It comes from some blogs, some books, sometimes my customers inspire me. It could really come from anything. I also am inspired by visiting the Stash Manicure Blog.
What I love to do the most creatively:
I've never really like following quilting patterns. As a result, scrappy quilts were always my favorites. I love to look at old antique quilts and put a unique, modern twist to it. Simple, easy quilts fit in to my lifestyle so well.
My favorite fabric and designer:
I'd hate to cheat you out of an answer but to be honest I don't have favorites. I've been on a stash diet for a while and I haven't bought any new fabrics recently.
UFO I intend to finish first:
I have such a long list of UFO's but for now I am finishing my Postage Stamp quilt.
What's on the design wall now:
I don't have a design wall, but I do have a design floor! I'm just finishing UFO's so nothing new.
Who would I love to meet:
Whenever I stop to eat lunch I normally turn on the TV and go straight to soaps. Erica Kane from All My Children is one of my favorite characters so I would love to meet the actress who plays her. She's not completely role model material for me because she's had nearly 7 husbands but I enjoy watching her and the pretty clothes they pick out for her.
If I had one wish:
My one wish would be that all the little children in Africa get fed, clothed, medical treatment, and an education. (I guess my social worker side is coming out).
Plans for the future:
For quite a while now I've been looking into designing my own patterns and making kits to sell. I'm even trying to purchase an EQ7.
I was born and raised in South Africa. We became citizens of the U.S. on January 18th this year. I have three wonderful kids and an adorable husband. I'll attach a pic of me and my eldest daughter at the ceremony (my hubby took it). I worked as a social worker in South Africa but now I'm a longarm machine quilter which I enjoy a lot more.
What inspires me:
This one's a toughie. Quilting has always come naturally to me. I was constantly surrounded by it and just fell in love. As far as inspiration goes, I can say that it's pretty scattered... It comes from some blogs, some books, sometimes my customers inspire me. It could really come from anything. I also am inspired by visiting the Stash Manicure Blog.
What I love to do the most creatively:
I've never really like following quilting patterns. As a result, scrappy quilts were always my favorites. I love to look at old antique quilts and put a unique, modern twist to it. Simple, easy quilts fit in to my lifestyle so well.
My favorite fabric and designer:
I'd hate to cheat you out of an answer but to be honest I don't have favorites. I've been on a stash diet for a while and I haven't bought any new fabrics recently.
UFO I intend to finish first:
I have such a long list of UFO's but for now I am finishing my Postage Stamp quilt.
What's on the design wall now:
I don't have a design wall, but I do have a design floor! I'm just finishing UFO's so nothing new.
Who would I love to meet:
Whenever I stop to eat lunch I normally turn on the TV and go straight to soaps. Erica Kane from All My Children is one of my favorite characters so I would love to meet the actress who plays her. She's not completely role model material for me because she's had nearly 7 husbands but I enjoy watching her and the pretty clothes they pick out for her.
If I had one wish:
My one wish would be that all the little children in Africa get fed, clothed, medical treatment, and an education. (I guess my social worker side is coming out).
Plans for the future:
For quite a while now I've been looking into designing my own patterns and making kits to sell. I'm even trying to purchase an EQ7.
Thank you Millie. I love your wish for the children of Africa. I would love to also see hunger eradicated in the near future. As to EQ7, I just ordered it, so if you get it, we can compare notes and get through it a bit together. Thanks for taking the time to share about yourself. As I wrote you before, that pic of both of you was so sweet . It is amazing how much the two of you look a like...both real beauties!
10 comments:
Micki, I am so happy to be one of the two Star Bloggers for February. I am honored to be on your blog.
Smiles,
Millie
What a great interview - and what pretty quilts! Thanks so much for sharing!!!
Wonderful interview and quilting.
I found a website, not sure from where, but I thought it was a nice idea and not hard to do.
http://www.littledressesforafrica.org/blog/
Debbie
I have followed Millie for awhile and she is one amazing quilter. Thank you for highlighting her.
Great interview and lovely quilts.
What a nice interview, she is so very talented.
The quilts are beautiful, I also have a love affair with scrap quilts.
Congratulations on so much beautiful work, Millie! Thanks for such an interesting interview, Micki.
And yes had it not been for Millie I would not have met you Micki..great interview...and I adore her designs and attention to detail.
applause applause to you both!
Great interview, I love her work, she is an amazing quilter!
Post a Comment