Dunfanaghy is a seacoast village located in the northernmost county of the Republic of Ireland called Donegal. It is definitely one of the prettiest areas in Ireland. I came up here one day to see the quilt shop called Pauline's Quilt Shop, which was on the main street, and I fell in love with the village. I then brought Joe up here to see it, and then we landed up moving here. What can I say? It is a bit of heaven up here. We never take this place for granted...It is just gorgeous!
Tomorrow is St. Paddy's Day...Joe will be taking pics of the festivities, so I will post them tomorrow.
We are right by the ocean and surrounded by the hills, Horn Head, and Muckish Mountain, which is the largest mountain in the distance.
Here is the main street of our village. We are right by the sea, and there is a wee lane from the main street that takes you to Killahoey Beach.
Our main street has surprisingly a lot of wonderful places to see, and that is because we do get quite a bit of tourists coming here. We have two hotels at the beginning of our village. One is called Arnold's Hotel, and that is the largest hotel, and the second one which is much smaller, is called Carrig Rua Hotel. Behind Arnold's Hotel is a horse stable, where you can rent horses to ride on the beach.
Here is the main street of our village. We are right by the sea, and there is a wee lane from the main street that takes you to Killahoey Beach.
Our main street has surprisingly a lot of wonderful places to see, and that is because we do get quite a bit of tourists coming here. We have two hotels at the beginning of our village. One is called Arnold's Hotel, and that is the largest hotel, and the second one which is much smaller, is called Carrig Rua Hotel. Behind Arnold's Hotel is a horse stable, where you can rent horses to ride on the beach.
Right across from the Arnold Hotel is a wee park where you can see Horn Head and to the right is where Killahoey Beach is.
Joe and I have a few places that we eat at which are our favorite places. We love coffee shops!!!We would rather go to a coffee shop than to a fancy restaurant. Both of us love coffee, but we just love the atmosphere of a coffee shop. Our two favorite ones are Muck and Muffins, which overlooks the ocean, and then the one you saw yesterday which is called the Starfish Cafe. We love the snickers cake at Muck and Muffins and the Starfish Cafe has the best Irish breakfast ever.
We have two Chinese restaurants. One is a take-away, and the other is a fancy restaurant where you can sit in and really enjoy good Chinese food. By they way, in the pic where it shows the Chinese Restaurant sign is our favorite pub called McColgans Bar. We went there this afternoon to enjoy some time there. Two visitors were playing pool, and there are two tvs in the pub. We always sit in the snug area near a lovely fireplace, and of course I had a Baileys. By the way, our village has a couple of pubs. LOL
We have two Chinese restaurants. One is a take-away, and the other is a fancy restaurant where you can sit in and really enjoy good Chinese food. By they way, in the pic where it shows the Chinese Restaurant sign is our favorite pub called McColgans Bar. We went there this afternoon to enjoy some time there. Two visitors were playing pool, and there are two tvs in the pub. We always sit in the snug area near a lovely fireplace, and of course I had a Baileys. By the way, our village has a couple of pubs. LOL
We have a bank in town, a post office, but also what I really love are our craft stores. One is called McAuliffes Craft Store. It is very large and has tons of things.



Joe asked if he could take pics of the inside of the craft shop, so of course they said "yes", and so you get a peek inside the shop too. We have a wee craft shop in Muck and Muffins and also another craft store in the Workhouse, which also houses another craft store and an exhibit about the Famine period in Ireland. Isn't it lovely?

We have a health food store in town called the Green Man. The other favorite pub here in our village is Molly's Bar.


Right by the beach is a golf course. So if you come to visit, while you quilters go to our four quilt shops in the area, you can leave your husband playing golf at the golf course....Now, that's an idea. LOL There are three other beaches nearby called Marble Hill, Tramore Beach, and Portnablagh .
Joe asked if he could take pics of the inside of the craft shop, so of course they said "yes", and so you get a peek inside the shop too. We have a wee craft shop in Muck and Muffins and also another craft store in the Workhouse, which also houses another craft store and an exhibit about the Famine period in Ireland. Isn't it lovely?
We have a health food store in town called the Green Man. The other favorite pub here in our village is Molly's Bar.
Right by the beach is a golf course. So if you come to visit, while you quilters go to our four quilt shops in the area, you can leave your husband playing golf at the golf course....Now, that's an idea. LOL There are three other beaches nearby called Marble Hill, Tramore Beach, and Portnablagh .
It is hard to mention everything and to show you all of our village. We have national parks near us, one of which is Ard Forest and the other is Glenveight National Park which has a beautiful castle there and sculptured gardens and lots of wonderful trails and scenery to die for.
Lots to see here, so hope you enjoyed the bit of a tour I organized for you all!
Tomorrow is St. Paddy's Day...Joe will be taking pics of the festivities, so I will post them tomorrow.
26 comments:
Micki, great shots and description of your part of the world. I have visited it and can vouch for its beauty.
Funny enough, last week I blogged about Glenveagh national Park.
http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=7396178747528220061&postID=908543121634535482
Sounds like a little piece of heaven! But I sure would miss Texas!
Thanks for a tour of your village. I would sure love to visit Ireland....must plan something....
Just a beautiful spot to call home Micki. I do need to visit there before I get too old. ;-)
Hi Micki!
Thank you so much for this description of Dunfanaghy!
It seems like beeing yesterday that I visited your little village!
Although i´t was nearly one year ago!
My mother, my daughter and me spent our time in Carrigan House, a lovely B&B!
I think I have to come back and visit Dunfanaghy in summer. Spring last year was so extremly cold! Brrr! We also wanted to visit Glenveagh Park, but the season hadn´t start. Perhaps next time!
Greetings from Germany!
Katrin
Looks like a very lovely village!
Visiting Ireland is on my wish list.My McDaniel ancestors left there and came to America around 1700.
I loved the tour, but I am sure it is even better in person!
It was so much fun to see where you live, Micki. I can see why you and Joe both fell in love with the area.
Loved the tour of your town! I almost feel like I have visited. Now I may have to do some research of your area, it sounds wonderful. I used to love going to coffee shops in CA when I lived there, especially Mr Toots in Capitola. Oh the memories...Thank you.
Oh Micki! What a wondrous adventure I've just had through your tour. Thanks ever so much for sharing ~ hope I get there some day!!!!
It definitely looks absolutely gorgeous up there~!!! Thanks for the tour, can't wait to see the pics of the festivities tomorrow~!!!
Oh, Micki, how lovely. It makes me nostalgic to get back to Ireland sooner rather than later. Looks so wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
and it's all true!!! I've been there and it's a lovely village with spectacular surroundings! the pictures a great, but they don't give enough credit to the actual place!
Happy Paddy's Day Micki!
I love love your town and tour, thanks so much...it is a piece of heaven.
Love the pictures!! Thank you so much for sharing them. Can't wait to see pics from tomorrow's festivities!
Thankyou for the wonderful pictures of your village. I love the scenery, it is so serene!!! No wonder you love it there so much!!! I would love to visit the land of my forebears some day.
Loved the tour! We were in Ireland 6 years ago & loved it so much. Your village looks a lot like a few we visited, but we didn't get that far north. Love all the red painted buildings & never found a pub I didn't like!
O Micki!
What a completely different world you live in! I love all the pictures and could not help but notice that some of the shops have skylights! I ADORE skylights !Nice natural light shining down on treasures to see.
The Muck and Muffins (do I have that backwards? )where you mentioned you could see out onto the ocean-that has been a life-time dream of mine to eat somewhere that you can see the water???
The village is so beautiful . Do you have much crime in some place so beautiful?
Thank you so very much for sharing and Happy Patty's Day! : )
What a nice tour, Micki! Thank you for sharing! I'm sure everybody would love to live there! Have a nice day, Clara.
You certainly do live in a very scenic area-a slice of heaven. I always enjoy it when people post pictures and you did a great job of giving us a tour.
Happy St Patrick's Day! My daughter has just been in Donegal visiting relatives in and around Letterkenny. It looks a beautiful area and hubby and I are planning the big trip for 2013 - I can't wait.
Loved the wee tour Micki. Happy St. Patricks Day to you both.
I would love to see this charming village. You should go to work for the tourist bureau. Cannot wait to see the celebrations.
Micki, great tour, just in time for our planning. We will certainly visit there and hope to meet you for a cuppa something while there. Carline
Thank you for sharing pictures of your part of the world, Micki! It looks like a really lovely place to live!!! :)
Post a Comment