Thursday, July 22, 2010

Do You Remember the Post of the Animal Farm? ......Get Ready for Quite a Story

Joe and I had a bit of an accident. Remember that animal farm I wrote about?We went back to visit a second time in the AM today. Suddenly, Joe saw that the donkey had gotten his leg entangled in a rope that he was tied up to. Being the considerate, animal lover that Joe is, he went to his aid and tried to disentagle him. Well, the donkey was in a panic and was running in a circle, and getting more and more entangled. Joe got to the donkey's leg and was trying to untangle him, when the donkey continued to get more and more panicked and ran in a circle, and the rope went around Joe.That is when I realized Joe was in trouble. I ran to his aid, and then I got entangled in the rope too. The donkey got it all wrapped around both my legs. This was turning into a Laurel and Hardy movie. Instead of rescuing Joe, I was trapped too. We then both fell down.The rope was right around us and boy did it hurt! In the meantime, the owner ran to our help. He got us all untangled, but not before I was hurt. I have a slight miniscule tear to the side of my knee. I then had my knee lock, and I can tell you that the pain was worse than childbirth. Boy, did that hurt! I am now wearing a support bandage on my knee, but my knee thank God unlocked, and I am able to walk. Well, I tried to come to Joe's rescue, but that donkey sure did us both in.
Looking back on the whole event, I am sure that we will think it funny one day, but today, I can't quite see the humor in it. We were both lucky that we were not both hurt very badly.
Well, we had an appt. to take the dogs to the vet in the afternon for their yearly shots and to get their nails cut, so we really had to keep the appointment. I stood on a stool to get into the van, and I felt like I was 90 years old.
It took an hour to get to the vets...It is 39 miles away, but the way Donegal roads are, it took a while to get there. It was a trip from hell with our two dogs. See that blanket that the two dogs are lying on in the pic? Well, we took it with us to put on the floor of the van, so they would be comfortable. Sounds good , but it was not. The trip was horrible! Then when we arrived at the vet's office, I waited in the van with each dog, while Joe took each dog seperately into the vet's office. Rufus the Dufus went first. I stayed in the van because of my knee, but mostly because I did not want to see Rufus get his nails clipped. He is the black border collie who was terribly abused, so needless to say, he was muzzled, so as not to bite the vet and was a nightmare in her office. Rufus might be an angel at home,but with strangers he is a demon. Anyways, Rufus is one of those dogs who hates to have his nails cut and wails and twists as if he is in terrible pain. Boy, did we need the Dog Whisperer, Cesar Milan, to help us in this instance. Joe says that it took him and the nurse to hold Rufus down, and it was a scene, Joe says, from the movie The Exorcist. Need I say more? Charlie was next, but he was an angel compared to his brother Rufus.


I can truly call this the day from hell...We will not be visiting the animal farm for a long while again, and thank God we have a year till we have to go to the vet again.

I am now sitting comfortably in my lounge chair, with my leg propped, and I am watching The Dog Whisperer on tv. He is saying to use "calm, assertive energy, so the dog's level does not go to level 10".....Yeah right...Calm assertive energy was not going to help Rufus, nor that darn donkey. Of course, Cesar would have handled both situations better than we did, but he is The Dog Whisperer.

30 comments:

Sandra Henderson said...

Good LORD!
That's VERY scary! I'm so happy that it all turned out well...

Pat said...

I am so sorry you were hurt by that donkey/rope incident and hope it heals quickly and completely. How is it that the owner didn't notice the donkey had the rope wrapped around his leg and didn't go to his aid??? It seems that Joe was much more attentive to the animal than the owner. I hope that owner takes proper care of those animals at the little farm in town!!!

quiltmom anna said...

Oh my poor friend- Micki, what a terrible thing to happen to you- it sounds terrifying not to mention painful. I can relate to the knee pain - keep it elevated, take some Ibuprofen and ice it regularly. Hope you and Joe are not in too much discomfort now.

Dogs are great but not without their challenges. Taking Dusty to the vet is always an adventure.
Hope that tomorrow is a much better day.
Warmest regards,
Anna

Denise :) said...

Micki, I'm so sorry about your injury; hope it heals quickly and completely. Added with the vet experience, it's really been hectic, huh?? *Hugs* :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness what a freakin day you had! Hopefully your knee will be healed very soon and yes...someday this all will be comical I'm sure!

Daffycat said...

Holy crows, that was scary! You poor guys!

Poor Rufus too. Border Collies are not known for biting but they can have terrible phobias about the most mundane tasks. ROFLOL I can imagine the Boder Collie Exorcist scene!

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Oh boy Micki what a day you have had!!! Watch that knee of yours...and have a great weekend...Dzintra♥x

Bunny said...

Oh for goodness sakes you had quite a day. Poor you you should have had a large glass of wine and then got in your lounge chair. LOL.
I loved the interview I know you better now. Hugs and stay away from the farm. He he he

nutmegg said...

Oh my stars, what a story thank goodness you didn't injure yourself more and also Joe,heal fast and well my friend....xoxoxo

Mystica said...

Bad day true. I have the same problem with one of my dogs. He just does not like strangers and the moment he thinks that you are nervous with dogs, he plays up and becomes a terrifying monster.

KQ Sue said...

I am so sorry you were injured. But I am, also, sorry because it sounds like something my DH and I would be involved in; and I am ROFL!
I knocked him down with a TV cabinet once, while we were moving it up the porch steps. Well, he was flat on his back on the steps under the TV cabinet and I am still shoving it on up. He was laughing so hard he couldn't yell, "Stop". When I finally notice things had slowed down and he was down, I started laughing and couldn't stop laughing to get it off him. One of the neighbors came over to help and we finally stopped laughing, got him back on his feet and the cabinet in the house.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I'm thankful that both of you were not more seriously hurt. Scary! Keep us posted on how you're doing and I'm sure glad you don't have any more donkeys or vets in your immediate future!

Anna said...

Ouch!! hope you heal quickly!

Judy S. said...

Gosh, Micki, what a day you had! I hope by now you are feeling lots better. Hugs.

Colleen Barnett said...

Micki, I am so sorry you had such a hard time. I am sure the donkey was grateful you helped him in the end! Hugs for your knee, mate. Hope you feel better soon. xxx

Actually, our border collie cross Ozzie would probably be the same. he doesn't really like to be brushed, and complains when our daughter pulls and pushes him around on her lap. He needs to be done soon though so I guess we'll find out....

SheilaC said...

well it has been a traumatic couple of days for the whole family!

Hope you and hubby are feeling better and hope Rufus has recovered from his vet visit!

SheilaC

SheilaC said...

PS How was the donkey????

SheilaC

marina said...

I am glad you aren't hurt more than what you were. Donkeys are big strong animals. That sounds like quite a scenario Micki, sorry if I giggled out loud at your expense. I wish you a speedy recovery.
I had to take one of my dogs to vet recently and did he put on a super embarrassing performance,screaming like he was being skinned, tried to bite the vet and ended up in a muzzle. Cesar where are you when you are needed?

Barb said...

Oh my goodness....that was quite a day....I am sure you are glad it is over....and you are right, it could have been alot worse, you could have gotten kicked in the head or something.

a good yarn said...

Your poor wee souls! They do say never work with children or animals. What a hullabulloo! I hope everyone and everydog is feeling a bit better now. Far too much excitement for one day. Ann :-)

Cattinka said...

Oh my goodness, that was a tough day for you.... it can only get better.
KATRIN W.

Nat Palaskas said...

OMG Micki, thanks goodness you are ok (now). Poor you both! Rest up those knees - Hugs Nat

Rosa-Munda said...

What a day! So thankful that you are both okay and hope your knee gets better soon. Ros x

Katie :o) said...

Wow! What a day! I hope you both recover quickly. And Rufus, too!

Kerrie said...

My gracious, what an awful experience! I guess you did have a bad day! So sorry you had injuries. God Bless, hope all goes well now that the"3" bad things are over! hugs, K

joe tulips said...

How awful for you...I am pretty sure though, once you are healed up, you will look back and laugh. It does all sound quite comical.
..and poor Rufus...I don't know who I feel sorrier for, the dog or the vet and Joe. What a day!!

joe tulips said...

I forgot...I wish would stuff would all arrive super FAST so you can start on your journal!!

Simone de Klerk said...

Oh my gosh, what a day for you, Joe, the dogs and not to forget the donkey.
I am sure you will have a laugh about the donkey story one day, but I can imagine not for a while!

Maggi said...

What a terrible experience Micki. Thank goodness it wasn't worse.

Unknown said...

Wow! now thats a story....you couldve been kicked pretty bad, but you know, I woulda done the same thing...glad no one was seriously injured.....