Monday, July 12, 2010

I've Joined Charming Girls Quilt Club

Kelly from Charming Chatter has a club called the Charming Girls Quilt Club. The club has tons of activities but also asks that the members set sewing and personal goals. As I have gone through a few months of illness as a result of the shingles, and I am recuperating now, I thought this was a good time to set goals and think of all the projects and things that I would like to achieve. The club members post their goals for a two month period, so the July/August goal is Self Care, so God knows I need to think of that.

Ok, here are my goals for July and August:
1. Not to overdo or allow myself to be stressed out...not good for me as stress can bring on shingles...So, I bought B complex vitamins and with the meds prescribed by the doctor, I will try to not get another episode , because I have been ill off and on since Christmas...Enough is enough.
2. I want to continue walking and hiking a lot as I inherited bad joint problems from my dad..hence my knees are not that good and I have osteopenia, so I will continue walking a lot, at least 5 miles a day,and never skip a day.It will keep my joints moving and healthy. I am buying Sketchers Shape ups, which are sneakers which help you walk more effectively and also help you to tone your muscles, resulting in weight loss . That brings me to #3.
3. Keep on losing weight. I want to lose 28 pounds total, and I am doing well with it. I joined Stephanie's group and we log into her blog Ditchin' Time Quilts on Wednesdays and post to the group how much we lost. I mainly want to also continue to eat healthy.
4. As to reading, I want to finish the two books of the Millenium Trilogy Series by Stieg Larsson. I am beginning the first book this week called The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo.
5. As to my hobbies: In July, I would like to complete my Twilight Journal( all the supplies are coming this week and next week....mostly Tim Holtz products. I can't wait to start that!
In August, I plan on doing a Circle Quilt that was developed by Julie Herman from Jaybird Quilts, and then get the top at least started. I am ordering the magazine Quilts and More on Julie's site this month, where Julie's pattern was published.

In August, I will order the fabric from The City Quilter in NYC and also from the Fat Quarter Shop. I will be using various pink and white fabrics which I will get from the Fat Quarter Shop, and also use black and white fabric from the Michael Miller line( which I will get at the Fat Quarter Shop. Then I will get black and white fabrics that have scenes of New York City on it which will come from The City Quilter. Some of the background and circles will have the NYC fabric...cool huh? I will also make pillowcases in the subway fabric, but that will be later than August. The white circles will be in Michael Miller Fairy Frost.
It should be really nice. I was in NYC many weekends over the years, as my dad used to take me with him. He would buy fabric for his fabric store, and I would be dropped off on 5th Avenue to spend a day in New York. Boy, do I love NYC!
I will show you all the fabric that I buy in August and of course you will see the quilt in progress.
I am stopping there, as far as my goals are concerned,because after being ill (and still not regaining all of my strength totally), I will be happy to complete all the goals I wrote down. It is good to set goals, so thanks Kelly for getting me to think about it.



































24 comments:

Carol said...

Charming Girls = Lovely blog. Good luck with the goals and with getting back to good health.
The circle pattern has been on my list of quilts to make for a while. I'm collecting fabric and just have to decide on the background color. Mine will be smaller :)

Gene Black said...

Good luck with your goals! You can do it

Barb said...

That is some pretty hefty goals....for even one with health. Good luck!

SewCalGal said...

Glad to you have joined the Charming Girls Club....inspirational. I too want to make one!

Great goals!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

Interestingly enough I joined the other day also. I have not around to posting about it. You just jumped in and made your goals - that is what is holding my up. Thank you for inspiring me and good luck with your goals.

Pat said...

I was thinking the same thing as Barb.....a lot of goals for ANYONE, let alone someone who is just coming back from being pretty sick. BUT..I'm sure you can do it!

Sandra Henderson said...

Above all, please be gentle w/yourself... Goals are good, but don't stress yourself. HUGS! XO

Maria said...

It is good to set goals but it is okay if you do not get them done.
I joined OPAM this year to push me along to finish projects for our Tri-Annual Hanging our group is having on the 10-10-10.
Happy Stitching and take care.

Sew Useful Designs said...

Wow Micki - what a positive affirming post! Good on you sweetie! Sorry to hear you have been ill with shingles, it's so nasty, I had a mild dose in the past and with the exception of childbirth, hadn't felt pain like it. So glad you are taking care of yourself xx

As for NYC! Wowswers!!! How exciting! And you got to go there as a kid? They must be lovely memories!!! So has your love of fabric always been, seeing as your dad owned a fabric store?!!!! :-)

Lots of warm loving wishes!
Vikki xoxo :-)

Cattinka said...

Nice goals, I hope for you that you will achive all of then, and if not, you can always catch up later.
KATRIN W.

Simone de Klerk said...

Wow, Micki, some great goals.
Have fun with them and remember your first goal!!!

Searchfamilies said...

That a great idea about setting yourselve goals or doing things for you i know that it worked when i set myself my Christmas Challenge last year to get a gift done a week from about 12 or so weeks before Christmas
Hope you are feeling better you take care
Hugs Janice

Beatriz said...

The Charming Girls Club is getting even more charming now taht you´ve joined it!
Take it easy! You do a lot when you are doing nothing - just for being there!

Fleurette said...

Glad that you're feeling much better and good luck achieving your goals, take care.

joe tulips said...

Excellent goals! I am looking forward to your supplies coming for the journal. That will be fun to watch....And the NYC quilt plans sounds really neat.

Theodora quilts said...

I wish you luck ,and I hope you ocomplish all of the goals ,but was it 5 miles isn't that to many start early in the morning for now it is summer and its probebly the best time I walk to work early in the morning about 6;30 or 7;00 it is pleasant my job is less than 2 kl from my house sometimes I wish I lived further away. good luck with all of your goals and I can't wait to see the fabrics and circle quilt.

quiltingnana said...

thanks for the birthday wish

Rafael's Mum said...

Good luck with it all Micki. On the Millenium Trilogy; the first book stands alone. The story ends at then end. Book two has the same characters and starts a new story. But beware.. Book 2 and 3 go together. It is as if it was originally one book, then the publisher said it's too long and they cut it in two... So if you are planning to get to book two, you will be left in the middle of the story as it is not finished like book one!

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Welcome to the Club - we're so glad to have you! Great goals you have planned - and lots of them! Looking forward to seeing your projects and hearing about all of your other goals too! Great job on the weight loss BTW - that's AWESOME!

Carrie said...

I loved reading your goals....makes me want to make a list for myself. I'm glad you are feeling better and hope that you continue to get more energy and health back.

Linda in Arkansas said...

Micki! I'm so excited that you joined the Charming Girls!!! Now we can be Charming Friends together. Good Luck with your goals.

Jackie's Stitches said...

You've set some good goals! I need to get back into exercising myself. I wish I had the scenery you have, it would make it easier! I'm looking forward to watching you work towards those goals!

Green Monkey said...

I can not get over how organized and productive you are! soooo impressive!!! you are in inspiration to me!

Dogmom Diva said...

Hi Micki, I found your blog from Stephanie at Ditchin Quilts...I had shingles last year, I can totally empathize..I try to keep myself from getting to stressed ou as that just makes it worse and I don't want to get another episode!
I also have chronic illness.

Good luck with your projects!

Barb