
Thank God, the visit with the surgeon is over. I met him in Letterkenny at 9 AM...I walked in there expecting an appt. for surgery, as two doctors told me I would need it. There was the surgeon...He was a very formidable, cold, icy, person, who was the caricature of what you would imagine a surgeon to be like.I know he wasn't 10 feet tall, but he sure looked like he was. Needless to say, I was scared as soon as I saw him. He examined me and boy did it hurt...He yanked and pulled and when I made a noise of pain, he asked me exactly where the pain was. In between the grimaces of pain, I told him what he wanted to know.
He told me that I had a minor miniscule tear in each knee, but more importantly, I had very severe arthritis in both knees. He then said if I opted for surgery, I only had a 50-50 chance, as I have severe arthritis and that would require extensive repairing. It could get better, but it also could get worse....50-50 didn't sound good. He didn't hesitate to tell me that my turning 60 was a big factor too. He was very surprised after he examined me and saw what my pain level was in each leg that I was still walking 4 miles a day. He commended me on that one, and that was the first time he smiled.My goodness, I thought, the man can smile. That didn't last long.
With a grim face, he then listed all of the complications of this type of surgery like blood clots, infection, etc...By then my jaw was dropping down further and further.Gee, why didn't I leave my hearing aid at home?I asked him what was my other option....He said that I could try physical therapy and hope that would stop the locking of my left leg and then continue to do excercises that would strengthen the muscle around my knee, so that the pain would be lessened hopefully. I would have to take pain medicine as needed and take anti-inflammatory medicine regularly. Funny enough, he was being blatantly honest with me, and though he wasn't saying it directly, he was steering me away from surgery, at least I felt he was. Knowing what surgeons get paid , I was surprised with this whole strategy. He then said that he wanted to see me after the month of physical therapy to see if there was an improvement, and then I could tell him if I wanted surgery or not....like I would even consider it after all he said. LOL Needless to say, I decided to try the other option.
I will be having therapy once a week for a month in a place in Falcarragh and then do more exercises at home...I start this week. I was told that the therapy would hurt, but I knew that. I have decided to then purchase the Pilates Aero 4695 from QVC UK, as it was developed for people who do have injuries like myself. It gives you the resistance training, but also has a cardio board for the cardiovascular excercise. The surgeon thought it would be the best, as it is so low impact.Here is a video to show what the Pilates is like:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIQCJZ-bVdY&NR=1 He ended it off with saying that he hoped all of this would slow down the process so I would not need knee replacements years from now
...My jaw dropped a bit more, and I left his office.
...My jaw dropped a bit more, and I left his office.Boy, was I glad to leave that office...I hope that all of this therapy and excercise will help the pain a lot. I don't know what the future holds for my two knees, but I will be trying very hard to reverse the process a bit or slow it down, if it kills me. LOL
Joe took me out for coffee and toast at The Quiet Moment, and boy did we need a bit of quiet. We left and passed a store with a teddy bear in the window, which I fell in love with immediately. Joe bought me the bear and here she is. I dubbed her Amy, and she is just so cute.
We are both watching the Rose of Tralee on tv, and we are cheering for the Kerry Rose. I did a lot of walking in Letterkenny, so I am in a bit of pain, but thrilled to be back home with Joe.

45 comments:
I am glad to read that surgery was not necessary and I do hope that the exercises will help tremendously.
Your new little bear is precious. She came at the perfect time to cheer you up.
Hope the exercising goes well for you and that you won't need surgery.
Your new bear is just too cute for words :)
I hope the therapy slows the process for you my sister just went through knee replacement after years of suffering. She is doing quite well. Sounds like you have a great surgeon even though he appears to be rather blunt.
I know physical therapy can be painful...but I think it is better than surgery at this point. Keep up the exercising, it isn't supposed to make things worse, right???
Hmmmm kind of a good news, bad news sort of day for you. I'm sure that withy our sirit and willpower you will have those kness back into better shape soon! Good Luck to you Micki! And so lucky you are to have Joe who obviously knows all about the healing power of teddy bears. ;)
whew, that was a lot of information to take in at the surgeons office.
At least he is taking a conservative approach; so many drs just want to cut right away.
Doesn't sound like you have anything to lose trying this out? Good luck!!
SheilaC
I hope the therapy works for you. My mum has both knees replaced so I know how painful that can be. Love the teddy!
I had the torn meniscus surgery. It wasn't all it's cracked up to be. I think I had a capitalist butcher. Had to keep having fluid drained off. Finally went to a sports clinic and got proper care plus arthritis meds.
Exercise is so important. I can sure tell if I miss my meds. ★Linda★
It is great he has given you an alternative and not just gone in to chop and hack. It is probably just as well you are so active.
Good news (sort of)
cheers
I do hope that the therapy does the trick and that you won't need the surgery at this time. Glad you found such a cutie to cheer you up.
Ooof...reading all of this made me so tired for you. I'm sure going the conservative route is the right thing to try, always. Give it a chance. Best wishes with all of it. I can see why you fell in love with the little teddy bear -- so glad you have it!
You would be going through a painful physical therapy process with surgery too. It makes sense to me to try it up front to see if you get relief. I sure hope you do! I'm glad to hear the surgeon didn't immediately schedule you for surgery.
What a cute bear!
Doctors always have to tell you the worst case version, because of all the lawsuit crazy people now days. (My hubby has been an RN for 37 years.) Malpractice Insurance require it.
Glad you are home and I hope the therapy will help you. Feel better soon! <3 <3 <3
Amy is sweet!!!
I think that the surgeon actually gave you good news. I am glad he was so honest with you.
now about that Pilates machine - it looks a lot like "the rack" at first glance. Luckily I saw the video and see that it isn't as bad as it looks! Ha ha.
Joe is so sweet to buy you the cute little bear!
Good surgeon! I had a nasty fall two years ago trying to kill a roach, I slipped spread eagle on the roach spray. Off to ER in an ambulance and I have never been the same since. At that time I tore the meniscus as well as other things. My surgeon said that I had 80% chance of being ok, 10 of staying the same and 10 of getting worse. I got worse and thought it was a failure. Two years later I am better, but he sent me directly to water aerobics which has saved my life. I am 62 with arthritis in both knees as well. I have never exercised much, but now, I am in the water as much as possible..never any pain in there! Best of luck.
I am glad you are trying to go with out surgery. I hope it works out better for you.
I love the new bear!
I like doctors who are frank and give you options...sounds like the surgeon was a good one even though very stern looking
Oh Micki so pleased you don't necessarily have to have the surgery...and so good that surgeon was being honest with you!!!
Your new little Amy will bring you lots of comfort I'm sure...Dzintra♥x
What a day! The bear is adorable and very deserved!!! Keep walking and moving, girlfriend.
That surgeon sounds like his bedside manner was lacking but he does seem very honest...which is good. I know they don't like to do knee replacements at an age as young as yours as I think they only last about 10 years. Hopefully, the PT, the at-home exercises, and some meds for pain relief will do the trick for you. Amy is very cute!!!
Even though your surgeon sounds grumpy he told you exactly were you stand. Oh pardon the pun!I am so pleased you do not have to have surgery right away. I am sure you will work hard to build up the strength in your knees Micki.
Oh Joe is just so thoughful. Amy is sweet.
Any time you can avoid surgery is a good day!!
Micki, It's great that you don't have to have surgery. Good for you for exercising so much - it's probably made all the difference. I take glucosamine with chondroitin for arthritis (supplement available over the counter here in Canada)and it helps me a lot with mobility and pain relief. Also I have done pilates for years and it is great stuff. The rack is a lot of fun actually.
I have a friend who at 50 was so crippled with arthritis she could barely stand up, let alone walk. I saw her last year and she was getting around quite well, without a cane and smiling. She told me she was going to pilates sessions three times a week and it "saved her life".
Micki,
Ouch. Just read the whole thing and realize things are not as good as hoped. But glad to hear you can bypass surgery for now. Hope all the PT helps with your pain.
The bear should help too!
Glad you did not need surgery. Hopefully the physical therapy will help. No fun to have arthritis. I think you had a good surgeon being honest with you. Love your new bear! Nola
Pilates is great; you will love it and I'll bet it helps. Will you have an instructor? Your Joe sounds like a great guy! Love the bear and am so glad you don't have to have the surgery for now at least. Hugs.
Oh Micki,
I am so sorry about your pain and the whole expirience at the sergeon. At least he was honest. You think he will be pushing for sergery. I think you will be in a lot of pain after a sergery so its nice he is giving you a chance to heal without one!
The tedy bear is so adorable!
I don´t really know what to say, first I am glad you didn´t have surgery, but the other opption doesn´t sound that good eigher.... lots of pain....hope the exercise will bring the effects you need.
Cute Teddy!
KATRIN W.
I think that it important for a surgeon to be honest & while they may not say what we like to hear at least it gives you the facts & you can decide from there
I hope that the Physio will improve your knee & be successful you take care & love Amy
Hugs Janice
Whew! That was a relief. The surgeon is nice and honest.
Micki, I am glad that you had a surgeon who didn't beat around the bush. There are always dangers from having surgery. Physical therapy is going to be painful but keep at it. Exercise does help. I am a retired nurse so I know the downside.
I love your little bear. She is so sweet.
I hope the physical therpy helps, your bear is just adorable and so sweet.
Good luck!
Thank you for telling us, right away!!!
What a wonderful surgeon, to be so honest with you, and not push surgery. Best of luck with the things he told you to do!
Wondering, is all the daily walking out, for now anyway? Is it hurting, rather than helping? Did he advise?
Lots of good wishes and lots of gentle hugs...
Micki - so sorry that you have to go through all this. I'll be saying prayers for you. Such a good idea to get the Pilates Aero 4695. The surgeon doesn't have a lot of bedside manner - but in the end it sounds like it cares more for his patients than his pocketbook. That's the cutest teddy bear - Joe is so sweet! Lucky you.
Saw this review, and thought of you. You'll probably have some time for reading, and maybe you'd like to look into this book...
It's called "The Fire Opal" by Regina McBride. Very Irish... You can read a review of it by going to this click-able link...Mundie Moms Book Review blog.
Gentle hugs...
Oh! Thinking of you and your poor knees! I hope physical therapy helps bunches! But knee replacement is not the horror it sounds like... My aunt had both knees and her hips done over the last couple of years and she is like a new woman! Happier, not in pain, walking plenty, and back to working out at Curves. Especially the "happier" part... the pain had just been eating at her for years. Good luck with your knees, whatever happens!
Knee replacement...wow...I must have missed that part...and it is always great to be home..get some rest if you can...
Micky, I am so glad the surgery was not necessary...that dr. sounds very cold to me too. Good luck with the exercising!
Oh my, Micki ~ you know, the way you wrote about your visit to the surgeon, I did have to laugh every now and then, even though I know this is not funny at all for you.
I am glad he gave you different options and was very direct with you.
I pray for you that the therapy will help!
I am hoping that the physical therapy will give you some relief....knee surgeries are very rough and very slow and painful to heal if you have athritis......
I have four friends who have had knee surgery this past year. All are now walking pain free. One is happy to back on the tennis court and ballroom dancing. Of course each individual case is different.
Good luck in what ever you choose
Wow Micki, what diagnosis. I do hope the therapy will help. I would also suggest looking online at what you can do to help with the arthritis. I know there are some natural suppliments that can help, I just can't remember what they are. I go to the orthopedic/neuro Doctor next Wednesday for a follow up from the ER. I have been resting and keeping ice on my back. The ER Dr gave me some pain meds so I have been alternating the pain meds with Advil. I am hoping and praying that this will heal and not need any further medical procedures. Take care my friend.
Hi Micki,
Glad to hear that you aren't needing surgery. I hope your therapy goes well for you. After that ordeal at the doctor's office, I am glad you found the perfect bear to cheer you up for the rest of the day! :)
Thanks also for the heads up on the wonderful giveaways. :)
Micki, I wish you all the best with the therapy. Alos that the pain would be more than bearable..Hang in there and 60 is the new 50.. Keep that in mind..
Hugs,
Maggey
Oh Micki, I'm sorry to hear about that but I sure do hope the surgeon, with all his cold-hearted expertise, is right. PT can work miracles but you have to stick with it and do EVERYthing they say. I just finished my 6 mos. of PT myself and I am so much the better for it. Also accepting my limitations. Good luck sweetie!
Post a Comment