Saturday, December 13, 2008

My First Knitted Item


Here is a pic of my knitted ribbed scarf. it is special as it is the first thing that I ever knitted. I taught myself to knit about three weeks ago. Tonight, I finished the scarf and put on the fringe using a crochet hook. I was so proud of it! I am really enjoying knitting, and I find it so relaxing to knit in my lounge chair while I watch tv.
I taught myself with the Stitch N' Bitch book and the countless videos that are availabe on You Tube, and also at Knitting Help which is at http://www.knittinghelp.com/ . I loved the yarn , and I thoroughly enjoyed making the scarf.
Next, I am beginning a cable bag . I found a beautiful pattern in the magazine "Knitting Today", and I picked out the prettiest Aran yarn in a wonderful shade of purple. I had to learn the various cable stitches that are required for this pattern, and bought myself some cable needles, watched the videos, and practiced and practiced till I got it. Now, I am ready to begin.
I am also ordering a dvd on making socks and will be doing that too...I can't decide if I want to use dpn needles or circular needles...Will have to do more research on it. Any comments on that by knitters would be greatly appreciated.
Well, we are having a bitter winter here in Dunfanaghy, so this scarf is going to keep me so warm and cozy!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your scarf.. you did a great job. I'm looking forward to seeing your cable bag when you get it done.
I too enjoy knitting while watching TV.. so relaxing and keeps the hands out of the cookie jar :)
I've used both circular and the other kind of needles.. Personaly I'm not too fond of the circular needles but it might just be me. I'd suggest you try them both, it doesn't hurt to own several kinds. If nothing else they come in handy to use for stitch holders.

~Niki~ said...

I wouldn't have known that was your first project! You go girl! Looks wonderful. I recently got back into crochet and want to try knitting again. I tried it long ago and didn't stick with it. I'll try youtube for info. thanks! niki

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Micki,
Your scarf looks great. Don't you have such a sense of accomplishment when you finish knitting a project.
You know me, I prefer the circulars. Started out on straights and soon switched and never went back.

Anonymous said...

Thats amazing a scarf then straight onto Aran work. Phew!!

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Wow...that is special Micki!!! And all after only 3 weeks of knitting...no wonder you are so proud of it!!! Hugs to you, Dzintra

Maggi said...

I am amazed that you have only just started knitting. The scarf is great and should keep you nice and warm. Knitting is a lovely activity to do siting in front of a nice warm fire on a cold winter evening. Enjoy

a good yarn said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice compliment.

You're very welcome to visit especially as these days the Irish are allowed to leave whenever they want - not like the *old days*.

I would love to visit Eire as both my parent's families have origins in the old country - my maternal great grandafther was from County Mayo. Not sure about the others yet as they are Catholic Scots that spent time in Ireland.

Congratulations on your knitting exploits - it can be very addicitve. That's a charming pendant you were given.

Cheers...Ann :)

Maggey and Jim said...

Hello Micki,
Great job!! Looks so pretty and don't you just love all those wonderful new yarns.. Also if you like reading, Debbie Mcomber has a whole yarn series, A GOOD YARN, BLOSSOM ST. BACK TO BLOSSOM ST, SUSANNA'S GARDEN.. All really good reads..
Hugs
Maggey

Jackie's Stitches said...

Congratulations on your first knit project! It's lovely!

I started knitting in Jan 08. I'm working on my first cable project now!

For socks, so far I like DPNs the best. I've done the magic loop method and I'm going to learn 2 socks on one circular next month. I'm determined to learn all the methods! I don't want to pass up on a pattern because I'm not sure how to convert it to DPNs. I'd love to hear about your knitting experiences!