I finally made a journal for my family's old pics. They were sitting in a box for years, and I had done nothing with them. Part of the reason was that I just never got to it, but also I just didn't want to rehash much of what had happened to my family and much of my childhood experiences. My parents were both holocaust survivors. My dad was very inspirational, as he had been in a concentration camp, but yet he had such a positive outlook on life. He always was funny, had a smile on his face,
I have been working on this journal for a few days now, and I have dedicated it to my parents and all the family that were lost in the holocaust. In each pocket that I made, I wrote poems, a letter to my dad, a tribute to both my parents and other family members. I was very happy that I finally finished it. The pictures are of my family on my mother's side, as my dad had not recovered any pics of his family, and that was his great regret. I have also included a sketch that I did years ago of my grandfather, and I remember that I had worked very hard to capture him perfectly, and my mom tearfully said that I had. He
As I had read Anne Frank's diary many times, I included her too and some of her famous quotes with a drawing that I did this week.
Coincidentally, my mom hid underground during the war with her sister, and she wrote a diary, which was published. The original is in the Yad Vashem Museum in Israel, and a copy is in the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC.
I do miss both of my parents, but as I was daddy's little girl, I especially miss him and always will. It is always hard to lose any parent, no matter what age it happens, but especially when one only has a small family left. You can imagine how special my relationship with Joe is and how important my current family is to me.
Joe took pics of the pages of the journal. He has felt badly for me in the making of this journal, but I told him that I was happy that I did it for my family.
The weather has been sunny, but we have had fall temperatures. We are both enjoying beautiful long walks, and we are spending a quiet weekend. Hope all is well with you all!
44 comments:
Hi Micki. That is a lovely tribute you have made there and what a special collection of your loved ones. You are right about the war affecting people differently, my parents were in the same situation with one coping and one doing it hard. Better than the gold of kings are memories of special things. Kind regards, Anita.
Micki this is a beautiful piece of work made particularly special by the story behind it. It brought tears to my eyes.
Micki, that is a beautiful way of paying homage to your parents.
thank you for sharing a deep part of your heart with us.
What a wonderful way to honor your parents and what they went through. It is a treasure for your family to have such a special tribute about your parents. They certainly endured a hardship that we cannot imagine. I hope your family will treasure your journal of your family's history.
Micki what a beautiful tribute to your parents.It was a very touching post to read especially as it is ANZAC day. A Day in Australia to remember our brave men and women who endured so much.
What a beautiful and emotional tribute to your family. Hopefully the journal could provide a little bit of healing from the scars of war. My heart goes to you and your family for the horrors they had to endure. There is a gift in every trial, and I can see your gift has come in the appreciation of your sweet husband and the life you have created with him in Ireland.
Hello Micki,,, I can't even imagine how painful that must have been for you? What a legacy, just to have known is awesome but heart breaking. Your album is beautiful and your work is grand.. I know you will treasure this always..
Your friend
Maggey
That is absolutely lovely, Micki. It is such a fitting tribute to your parents and also to the victims of the Holocaust. You did a beautiful job on it too.
Oh I am so happy that you put this lovely tribute together. What an accomplishment! Wonderful that these items, will not be lost.
Gentle hugs...
Oh, Micki........what a beautiful story and what treasures you have. I too have a few pictures tucked away in boxes. You have definitely convinced me that I need to get them out of hiding so my children know the same stories I grew up with.
I am deeply touched by your courage ~ and the wonderful heirloom that you created by taking this journey. We should all be so lucky as to have someone like you in our own families.
hugs,
laura
Micki - this is the most wonderful tribute I can imagine. It must have been bitter-sweet for you to spend the time to put this together. What a wonderful legacy you've created.
Best Wishes,
Susan
Oh wow...what a treasure.....
Oh, Micki...I cried when I read this post and am typing to you with tears still in my eyes. I am sorry for what your family suffered and I hope this journal has truly brought some peace to your heart. Hugs from Delaware to you over there.
I'm really glad you made the journal, Micki. I didn't realize those experiences were a part of your family legacy. They were the greatest generation. Your sketch was wonderful - what a true artist you are!
Micki,
I was very touched by your post this morning. I too am a daddy's girl. You did a beautiful job on your tribute to your parents, and I know, you will feel peace in your heart by doing so.
Hugs!
Pam
HI Micki,
I think it is a special thing that you have created to honor your parents. Your story is a treasure and celebrates/ honors your parents. They raised an amazing daughter and would have been very proud of your accomplishments.
It would have been an emotional rollercoaster to write the story.
Thank you for sharing your family stories.
Warmest regards,
Anna
G'day, Micki ~
I am sorry that your family endured such a tragic situation in their lives, but found beauty to carry them on.
What a lovely creation of memories to share with your family ...
Bless their souls & bless you for sharing.
Have a beautiful week.
TTFN ~ Hugs in love, Marydon
Oh Mickie, it's amazing what you learn about your cyber friends/family,you have made a wonderful tribute to your family, I read your story the day after our ANZAC day here in Australia, I hope your family will treasure this journal.
Oh, Micki, how beautiful. What a lovely way to remember your parents. You touch my heart.
Those pages are beautiful! I know you'll be glad that you got around to it. I can't imagine what they went through!
So emotional for you but such a lovely tribute to your parents and something lovely to be tresured for future generations
Thankyou for sharing
I'm touched very much on so many levels by your post.
Such a lovely, touching sentiment to your family.
I know how you feel about photo's sitting around, I have had an idea of putting my photos of my Grandad (one as an older man and one as he was in the army with a friend) along with his war medals in a frame so I could keep them all safe and have a lovely heirloom piece I can pass onto my son. I am hoping to get it done soon.
LISA V.
What a amazing and heart-warming story and thank you for sharing it. I am sure it helps you to work on that project and to share it with others and your parents sound wonderful. What a marvelous legacy your mother has left you with your desire to create and sew, etc. And the closeness to your father will always be with you and has given you strength and courage in your life, I am sure. It is very beautiful what you have done for you and for them!!
Micki ~ Such a wonderful tribute to your family. You did a beautiful job on your journal pages and sketches. Thank you for sharing your family's story with me. It is worth sharing with others.
Hi Micki
My heart just breaks to think of your parents and the pain they endured. That horror is just too much to even think about.I will never understand why human beings want to hurt other human beings. I am very grateful that you were not born at that time.
I did read Anna Frank's diary and it broke my heart. My Dad could not believe that reading books could be homework and it was difficult for me to find time to complete it. The night before my book report the next day -he caught me reading under the covers with his flash light ! :) But I did get my book report finished. You just do what you have to do. :)
You are So very talented - thank you for doing such a special post!
Hugs
Hello Micky, as always glad to read your comments on my blog, nice tribute to your family, and in some way I take this as to my grand daddy whom also survived the holocaust camp. With sincerity friendship. Loredana.
What lovely idea it also for future generations who in time won't even have someone who knew these people yet they can still come alive with such journals
We are who we are because of our past & we will one day be the generations that it talked about in very much the past context so if we can leave as much as we can for them then it good so don't forget to do journals of you & your life now so they will know many years from now
Hugs Janice
What an everlasting tribute you have made Micki...something to be so very proud of...Dzintra♥x
Micki, this is just wonderful! I am working on collecting our family pictures and letters and putting it all together.
It is a fitting tribute to your parents of which they would be very proud that you thought to do this.
I found this blog the other day and thought that you and Joe would enjoy it.
http://jacolette.wordpress.com/
Your pages for the journal turned out very nice. I bet it was a very emotional thing to make them, and you did a good job.
KATRIN W.
I am not sure what to say Micki. This was such and eye opener into your family. You are truly an artist and the picture of your Father is beautiful. Have you ever thought of writing a book about your family. It sounds like your family's life and yours would be an interesting one to read. I had to hold back tears when you were talking about your parents. My Heart goes out to you.
Willow
Lovely post Micki, and a wonderfully precious story of your family. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Lizzie
xxx
Very moving, Micki. Thank you for sharing such a personal part of you. Your love for your dad shines through but I especially appreciate that growing up with an emotionally wounded mother must have been very difficult at times. Yet you honour her equally, without blame or anger. This is a great credit to you.
Kind regards,
Joanne in Australia
Oh Micki, this is amazing. What tragedies your family had to bear. I cannot even begin to imagine the horrors nor do I think I want to. The way you have put your memories together is extraordinarily beautiful.
I hope you receive only joy from your wonderful journal and I am sure your parents are very proud of their Anushka.
Dear Micki,
What a beautiful tribute you have done for your family. I still have blurry eyes filled to the brim with tears.
I'm sure it was bitter sweet making this albumn but well worth it.
My DH has been working on our family's geniology for a few years now and it is so interesting to know the history, some of it in Ireland!
Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful collection of memories,
xoxo
((((hugs))))
Maggie
what a beautiful and moving journal....and what a history your family has....I am so touched by it Micki and your drawing of your Grandfather is incredible........Melinda
Micki, your journal is beautiful... what a lovely sentiment to your parents. A treasure indeed! Thank you for sharing such a personal experience.
Very touching, what a good way to honor your family.
Your journal is really special. I wish I were fortunate to have pictures of my family.
There are so many people with stories like yours but few ever are known or published. Thanks for yours.
Boston Bits is my my blog sorry about the mishap in names.
I want to do this too. I have put it off but have been collecting pictures for many years. I thought about making a quilt with some of these pictures. Plus, I just took a class at Paducah with Lyric Kinard who encouraged me to do an art quilt with these pictures included in them. I think I will do a little of both! These are gorgeous! Steph
Oh my gosh what family history! Isn't it amazing how we stand on the shoulders of our loved ones and their experiences that help get us where we are now.
Post a Comment