Thursday, August 19, 2010

1930's Fabrics and ER News

I spent all morning in the ER....I saw a doctor and then took an x-ray, which showed that I have a floating meniscus in my knee. It means surgery. They need to remove the floating meniscus and then repair what remains of the meniscus. I am scheduled to see the surgeon on Monday at 9 AM, and expect that at that time he will arrange for an MRI, give me an exam and then schedule the surgery. Joe is getting me a wheel chair, so he can take me out to see the horse each day, so that will be nice. I was prepared for the possibility of surgery, but you know how it is...one still is shocked when it is finally confirmed....I have to admit that it is all a bit scary.
As to my circle quilt, it will have to be on hold for a while. I got the 1930's fabrics, and I am including a pic of the fabrics. They are so pretty! Well, as I said, I will be doing things that I love to do from my lounge chair like crocheting, reading, hand sewing, painting in my art journal, and playing my tin whistle...yes there is nothing like a tin whistle to play lovely Irish music. My goal is try to keep a positive attitude. Joe keeps on reminding me that he will spoil me silly, so how can a girl complain about that! I will have to psych myself up to remaining positive and upbeat...alot better than allowing myself to get down.

Some really good news...Tim Holtz's Vagabond is arriving in the UK sooner than I thought...It's coming in September. I will be using it for embossing and cutting dies, and even try cutting fabric with it. It will use dies from any machine.It is supposed to be so powerful, and no more cranking...It is all electric. I have to admit that I fell in love with its looks...the old style look of an attache ....It will look nifty on my craft table. Until I can use it, I will just look at it with a smile on my face.


I have to get back to watching Dynasty, as I missed an episode this morning....There is no one like Alexis Colby. She always reminded me of the younger Elizabeth Taylor, but so much meaner.

41 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update Micki~ surgery is nerve racking but these docs know what they are up to~they will have you back on your feet soon enough! I posted two books that I just finished reading and I would highly recommend them to you as you relax~ Every time I see your update on my blog I will check in~
♥E

quiltingnana said...

keep positive

Pat said...

While I'm not glad that you need surgery, I'm glad the problem made itself obvious during the MRI so now you can get on with the appropriate treatment and get well again soon.

jane p said...

I'd be nervous about surgery too. Good thing you have so many things to distract you. I'm very attracted to the cutting device you are waiting for.

webbsway said...

O Micki

I am so so sorry to hear of your challenge! In my personal opinion I just wish Life would behave its self and let you be creative!

That dear Joe- he sure is a keeper, isn't he. :)Thank goodness that you both were in the right place at the right time!

Love and best wishes - Linda

Soggibottom said...

Sorry to hear about your surgery to be Micki.
Knee's are strange things. Although the good thought is that after it all. You will be fighting fit.
Good that you are confident to talk about it all. Good job it is only one eh!
Best of luck.

Gene Black said...

Sorry to hear about your knee needing surgery.
I didn't know you had a tin whistle. Have you been playing it long? You should have Joe take a video of you playing and post it so we can see and hear you!!! But then maybe you aren't as "wild and crazy" as I am.

retdairyqueen said...

Thinking of you Micki and love to Joe
I know he will take good care of you

Mrs Quilty said...

I am sorry to hear of your upcoming surgery!! Try and stay positive (easy for me to say) and work on those projects you can! And with a husband like yours, it should be a breeze! I bet you will be up and about before you know it!!! Keep thinking that way!!! Sending hugs!

Mrs Quilty said...

Oh forgot to say, love that fabric, it will be waiting for you and it will be so much fun to start your project by then!!

scraphappy said...

Your 1930s fabric is just delicious. Definitely something to look forward to when you are on the mend. I hope your recovery time isn't too long. I know that Joe will be taking good care of you and that you will find lots of ways to pass the time.

quiltmom anna said...

I am sure you will be quickly on the mend Micki- you have a great attitude and you and Joe walk regularly.
Hope you find some good books, magazines and hand work/scrapbooking while you are recovering.
Sending you warm thoughts and good wishes for a speedy recovery.
Warmest regards,
Anna

SheilaC said...

Good luck with your surgery! It's no fun, but you have to do something for that pain!

Feel better,

SheilaC

Barb said...

Surgery is scarey but I am glad you found out and it will be taken care of soon. Sounds like you have alot of fun things to keep you busy and a sweet husband when things get bored....he can wheel you around. The salt air must be good too....

Unknown said...

wow! surgery is daunting but it sounds like you have the perfect person to help you get well....I am wishing you the best and a get well soon!!!

Lurline said...

Would love to wrap my arms around you and give you a big hug!
Lurline♥

esquiltingpassion said...

It sounds like Joe is ready for the challenge of caring for you after your surgery. I will keep you in my prayers and hope for a speedy recovery.
Elaine

Searchfamilies said...

Good Luck with the surgery.
I love 1930s fabric
you take care
Hugs Janice

BROOKE said...

I know that surgery is never anything to be "excited" about but as much as I worried - it did turn out to be the best thing I've done. I hope you have a good experience with it as well.

Anonymous said...

any surgery is nerve racking but do keep positive and try to spend the time doing crafts

marina said...

Hopefully the surgery will sort out your knee 100% Imagine if Joe had been hurt as well! the two of you would have been a fine pair. It is lovely that he will look after you.
Your 30's fabrics are really sweet and cheery.

Maria said...

Best of luck Micki will be thinking of you.
Your Joe is nice to get a wheelchair so he can take you out to see the horses.
Love the fabric for your circle quilt.
Hugz Maria

Greg said...

I hope you're back to yourself real soon. Hang in there kid, we're all wishing you a speedy recovery.

Meredith said...

good luck with your surgery. The fabrics are very pretty. Try and stay positive if you can. hugs

Jackie's Stitches said...

I'm so sorry to hear that surgery is what is required. I know Joe will be a wonderful caretaker and you'll be a fabulous patient. How long is your recovery period? Keep us posted and know that your blog friends are here for you!

Shelly said...

Oh, Micki, I understand how you feel. I myself had gone through three surgeries. You will be alright. Don't worry.^^

Theodora quilts said...

Sorry to hear that you need sugery , I hope it will be quick ,and the recovery also, you have something to look forward to when you get better, the vagabond, and the fabric is gorgeous, now I'll go to google and check out what that vagabond is about, I have no clue.

Judy S. said...

Gosh Micki, you have had a bunch of challenges recently. Sounds like this one is fixable though, thankfully. Thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery! Big Hugs, too!

Denise :) said...

I hate that you have to have surgery. Here's to a swift and complete recovery! :)

Just Ramblin' said...

Hopefully with this surgery you will soon be feeling up to par. Will certainly be thinking of you. Keep us posted. Nola

Miriam said...

Good luck with the surgery, Micki.
I am sure it will all go smoothly and you will be back out doing those wonderful walks with Joe very soon.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear that you are going to need surgery. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope your up, about, and back on your feet soon. Please keep us all up dated on how your doing.

Joyce said...

I was just looking at Nedra's (Cactus Needle Quilts) blog and saw your blog.. I am a quilter and quilt pattern designer.. my girlfriend and I are going to Ireland on Aug 30.. wondered if you know of some quilt shops that would be fun for us to visit? We will be in Northern Ireland for a wedding on Sept 2...
If you have any ideas please drop me a note.. thanks so much
www.geoffsmompatterns.com

Chris H said...

Sorry to hear about your knee.. I hope it is all better after the surgery.

Nancy M. said...

I'm sorry to hear about the surgery! I hope everything goes well and you'll be better in no time!

Nancy said...

I hope you feel well soon and your little feet are all healed up.
I offer Free patterns for Whimsical Flowers, 9 month BOM and a Free 12 Whimsical Ornament series, that finishes in time for Christmas. Please feel free to visit and share with anyone you wish. www.homesteadstationdesigns.com

Happy Quilting,
Nancy and Grace

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Please keep positive Micki...I'm sure all will be well...I will say a special Prayer for you. My Mum (79) has just had her 4th knee surgery...agony...and a 5th to come!!! Thinking of you...Hugs and Kisses...Dzintra♥x

Anita said...

Hi Micki, Well I think Joe is a great sort and I bet he will spoil you!! Oh I...um....noticed the Twilight business on your side bar.....I'm so with you on the count down. tee hee. Kind regards, Anita.

Tammy said...

Best wishes and hugs Micki, so sorry you have to have surgery.
My son had his MRI yesterday and is facing the same knee surgery, they will also repair a torn ACL

Vicki H. said...

I know surgery is scary but I think you will feel so much better once it is done. You will get tons of stuff done, I believe, in your recouperating chair. Just pace yourself and enjoy the pampering!!

Laurie said...

Ugh, surgery. Oh well, you will make the most of your time off your feet, I know you will, and thank goodness for crafting which keeps us all going!