Friday, August 6, 2010

What's New With Me?.....A Surprise Letter and A New Tote Bag



First of all, I got a letter and pin from Jennifer Chiaverini sent me a letter and a pin congratulating me for finishing the Sylvia Bridal Sampler.I don't know why it took so long to get to me, but I was thrilled to receive it.(Just saw that she had our old address...that's why) As you know, I enjoyed making that quilt the most, so I was so pleased to get this letter from her. I have decided that sometime this year, I will do another sampler. I love the challenge of making one, and I will enjoy the process again. Even though, I only spent four months on the SBS quilt, I fear that this one will take longer, but no problem...I will enjoy it just that much longer. How sweet of Jennifer to send this to me, and I do thank her! Also, if you never read her Elm Creek Quilt Series of books, you are in for a treat....They are all wonderful! At the time, I made the quilt, the SBS quilt book was not out, but it is now, so if you like my quilt, you might want to make it.
I just finished a bag that I was working on for a while...a Disney tote bag that I machine embroidered with lots of Mickeys. Being that my name is Micki, it fits me to a tee. It has lots of pockets inside, and I love it! I am using it for my crocheting supplies.










41 comments:

Maggi said...

Congratulations on finishing the Bridal Sampler. Amazing that it only took you four months. Love your Micki tote bag.

Jan said...

I bought my first Elm Creeak book recently ,'The quilters Apprentice'so what an honour for the author to send you that gift ,I love your bag/tote ,pop over to my blog I have been making bags too ...love Jan xx

Pat said...

What a GREAT surprise for you! That sampler is not easy, so I'm glad you were recognized for completing it!!!

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Congratulations, Micki. What a major accomplishment. That's wonderful that Jennifer sent you a letter. I have read a few of her books a they are great. Good Job!

Nancy said...

Micki,

That is so fun. Congratulations on that recognition from Jennifer. I have read or have all of her books and just love them. I think I told you I really want to go there but alas, it is fiction!

scraphappy said...

How nice that you got a pin in recognition of your quilt. I just love the books as well.

quiltingnana said...

congrats on finishing the quilt and the letter...love the series

Nedra said...

How fun to receive a letter and pin from Jennifer Chiaverini. I love her books. And good job on Sylvia's Bridal Sampler.

Barb said...

What a fun tote....so cute....

quiltmom anna said...

How nice to receive your pin from Jennifer- It is a fabulous sampler quilt that you created.
A very fun bag with Mickey Mouse- you do create such lovely things.
Have you read Jennifer's newest book- the Aloha quilt- It was a terrific read- I enjoyed it very much.
Warmest regards,
Anna

Joy said...

Micki that's so lovely that she sent you a letter ... and the pin too, what a treasure!!! Love your quilt!! I've been humming and hahing about whether I'd like to make that one too and I'm pretty sure I will. Every time I see one made I love it even more :o)!!!
Hugs,
Joy :o)
PS ... Your bag is fabulous :o)!!!

West Michigan Quilter said...

Congratulations on finishing the quilt. It is beautiful. And Congratulations for receiving the gift from Jennifer. You are some lucky lady!

Denise :) said...

The Elm Creek quilt series is a favorite of mine, too -- congrats on the recognition! Have a great weekend, Micki! :)

Nat Palaskas said...

Congratulations Micki, that's wonderful to received a letter from Jennifer. You did a great job with the quilt - Hugs Nat

Jackie's Stitches said...

I need to read this series of books. I can't believe I haven't yet. How wonderful to get a letter and pin from the author!

Just Ramblin' said...

Love the bridal sampler. It looks difficult but is beautiful! It will be a heirloom to be treasured. What a darling tote/bag. And how perfect with Micky's! Nola

Maria said...

What a beautiful Quilt Micki. Love the clours.
Great "Mickey " bag too.

Tara said...

Hi Micki! The quilt is beautiful. I hope you have a beautiful weekend!

SewCalGal said...

Great news. Love your quilt and your "Micki" tote.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

QuiltSue said...

I love the Elm Creek books and have been buying them since the first one came out.

Only taking 4 months to make the Sylvia quilt is amazing.

Zlaty said...

Oh Micki, I have missed your posting about your sampler quilt! It's just stunning! Did you make it by the book? I just love it!

Bev C said...

Hello Micki,congratulations on finishing the Bridal Sampler. Jennifer's books are great aren't they. Love the Mickey bag,good luck for your next sampler.
Happy days.
Bev.xoxo

Susan In Texas said...

Your sampler is so beautiful. I just love the colors you have chosen. I'm re-reading the Elm Creek books. In fact, yesterday, I finished Master Quilter, the one the Bridal Sampler is in. I had forgotten that in the book they gave it an elaborate pieced border. It really doesn't need it; in fact, that might be overkill. What a tremendous accomplishment, and you got a cool pin too. How neat is that! Love your Micki bag too. I didn't realize you were into machine embroidery too. My Bernina can do that, but I have only used it a few times. I keep meaning to do more, but life always gets in the way. 8)

Susan in Texas

Katie :o) said...

What a wonderful surprise :o) I still can't believe you finished that quilt in 4 months.... I would be lucky to finish it in 4 years :o) Cute Micki bag!

ceecee said...

Hi Micki,

You just amaze me with the many creative works you are able to complete...and so beautifully. I hope you're much better. You sound happy and enjoying life. Good for you!
Have a wonderful weekend, Micki -
Catherine

Anonymous said...

I think the letter of recognition is wonderful of that designer! Congrats!!

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Wow Micki how thrilling to receive that from Jennifer!!! How did she find out you made the quilt? I am up to The New Years Quilt and enjoying the series so much!!!!!! FAncy only taking 4 months to do that...Dzintra♥x

Lady of the Cloth said...

I think I bought the pattern book for that quilt, but you actually DID it! Wow, I admire you, and it is beautiful. I have read all but the last book of the Elm Creek series and love them. I have reserved the last book at the library, but alas, so has everyone else. Carline

Liz said...

Gorgeous quilt Micki, how lovely to have the pin from the author. Love the 'Micki' bag!
Lizzie
xxx

M. Regina said...

Hello, Micki, very beautiful your sampler quilt. It's not easy, and you are very fast. I love your bag too. Hugs from Brazil

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

How wonderful Micki to be recognized for your beautiful quilting accomplishment! Congratulations!
And your Micky crochet bag is so cute!

Kaaren said...

How wonderful that you finished your SBS quilt and to have that fact recognized by Jennifer herself! It's gorgeous...the quilt, i.e. *wink* And so is your tote bag!

A couple of weeks ago I finished reading The Aloha Quilt, the last in the Elm Creek series of books. It is my understanding that there is another book due out in November. Yay!

Ivory Spring said...

How special. Are you going to frame your letter and display it with the quilt?

Thanks for visiting me, and leaving the kind comment on my smocking. :)

a good yarn said...

The accolades are well deserved Micki as you do such beautiful work. I love the idea of a Mickey tote for Micki! ann...

Kristen said...

Absolutely beautiful! It is amazing! This would take me years instead of a few months! Wow. One of these and a Dear Jane are on my someday list.
Cute tote too!
:)

webbsway said...

O Micki,
Talk about WORK! O MY GOODNESS! It leaves me speechless-what an awesome achievement.

Awwwwhhhh - but not speachless on the blue bag!!! That is so cute and so perfect! I Love, Love the blue color! I had not heard that you do machine embroidery also- Is there Anything that you cannot do???? LOL?

Mama Spark said...

Micki, I love your sampler quilt. I have the pattern and want to do it too. I was thinking of doing it for my daughter for when she (eventually) gets married. I like the fabrics you chose too. I am very inspired by you!!

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

The tote bag is fantastic as is the Bridal sampler :-)
Anne x

Simone de Klerk said...

Congratulations on your finish and the pin! Lovely colors you chose for the quilt!

Leeann said...

Just spend quite a lot of time looking at your 'Sylvia's Bridal Quilt' its gorgeous! I may have to add one to the wish list!

Fleurette said...

Congrats on receiving a letter and pin from Jennifer and on finishing your quilt, it is just gorgeous, an heirloom!love your Mickey bag too!