Sunday, September 20, 2009

Dublin Trip

What can I say? I was a bit overwhelmed by the enormity of Dublin. I think that the Philly girl has turned into an Irish village lass, who is used to the quiet, beauty, and serenity of Dunfanaghy. I just couldn't believe how big Dublin was...I hadn't been there in years, and it was much bigger than I remembered, noisier, and filled with too many people in the city streets. I did have a good time though, but it wasn't easy with my leg, which was aching from the hamstring tear. The bus stopped at O'Connell Street right before the big spike that is there. I walked all the way up O'Connell Street to the Powerscourt Shopping Centre, which would have been a doddle, had I not had a torn hamstpring. It took me about twenty minutes, and I finally got there. Here is the entrance to the Powerscourt Shopping Centre where This is Knit was located. I had to go down Johnsons Ct. off of Grafton Street to get there, and boy was I lucky to find that! I had two musicians playing as I walked towards the entrance to Powerscourt. The course took longer than the scheduled half past three. We were not finished till around 4:15, so I didn't have much time till the bus at 5:45. I took pics around Grafton Street, which is a pedestrian street of many shops, and too many people. LOL

I was amazed at how many people there were and you will get a sense of it with the pics .





I sat at Bewleys and had my cup of coffee and a slice of Bewley's coffee cake, and just looked at the the bustle of Grafton and then took the pics. I had to get to the bus quickly, so I could not stop at the places that I had planned to go to. They will have to wait another time. I did stop at the shops along Grafton, and found this wonderful Turkish Teapot...and I got it for the price of 3 euro...I couldn't believe it. I think that the man at the stall felt sorry for my limping and seeing me with a walking stick.LOL He could see how much I wanted it, and he gave it to me for a wonderful price.

I left Grafton Street, I took a pic of Molly Malone, who you may know from the song about Molly Malone who sold cockles and mussels from a wheelbarrow. Here are The Dubliners singing the song. Well, I then only had 45 minutes to get to the bus. Needless to say with my hamstring being torn, I wasn't going to make it, so I took a taxi, which got me there lickety split.

As to my knitting, I now know how make a heel. We have to finish the heel, and knit down to the toe, and of course that is our next lesson. This is what I did over there, and I have lots of homework to finish....I will be sitting in my lounge chair with my bum leg up and knitting away.


Well, I got to the bus, and met a French lady who was living, funny enough in Donegal. We sat together on the bus and chatted. She no longer had a strong accent, and I heard a bit of the Donegal accent. She said that I had a bit of the Irish lilt. I have heard that so many times, it must be true. You know how it is...you never hear your own accent.

I decided that Joe and I would have to go back to Dublin one day together. I wanted to see it all when I was not in a rush, but also Joe was born and grew up there in the Liberty area near St. Patrick's Cathedral, and he would show me the town in style. I would love to see the Liffey at night, because I had to cross it to go to Grafton Street.

Here is a pic of it at night that someone took. It really is lovely.

That was my trip...too quick, too long( 5 hours travel each way), but I was excited to see Dublin even for a short time. I was so tired when I got home, my leg hurt, but it was well worth seeing Joe at the the bus stop waiting for me, ready to give me a hug and a kiss. What a lovely way to end off my day!

PS: Here is a panoramic view of O'Connell Street where I was...enjoy it!
http://www.lookaroundireland.com/dublin/spire.php You can see the spike there and get a good view of what I saw in Dublin.

43 comments:

Searchfamilies said...

Certainly sounds a full day sorry your leg didn't allow you to see more but all the better if Joe shows you as you can share it together
Hugs Janice

Nedra said...

Your trip sounds wonderful. I hope the hamstring heals quickly and your next trip is a little more easy.

Jocelyn said...

What a very lovely trip! So sorry that you were hobbling around Dublin, and hopefully the next time you will be able to walk. I feel your pain when you were talking about your walk :-( Sending a hug for a day of rest.

Colleen said...

Micki, did you know that Dubliners refer to the Molly Malone Statue as the "Tart with the Cart'?
Sounds like you had a nice time. Hope you let is feeling better. It is probably sore today from all the walking.

Marie said...

Hey there, you just brought back so many nice memories to my visit in Dublin. we heard them singing about Molly too. what an interesting place. Love your sock. will be waiting to see the rest. so sorry about your leg. Take it easy Girlfriend. Will do better to keep in touch I promise. Love to you and Joe. Marie

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

Looks like you had a great time. Sorry you could not spend more time seeing the sights.

M. Regina said...

Wonderful trip.I'd like to visit Dublin.Hugs from bRAZIL

Tammy said...

Great pics Micki! I'm sorry your leg wasn't feeling better.
Your sock looks fantastic, isn't the heel fun?!...makes the sock "come alive" and "be a sock" ;)
Thanks so much for sharing Dublin with us :-)

Kath said...

You reminded me of how much I enjoyed our time in Dublin, from Sandymount, it only took 10 mins on the DART. Molly Malone was also introduced to me as "The dish with the fish"! So pleased you enjoyed your day, Kath x

SewCalGal said...

What an exciting trip.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

carole ann said...

OMG Micki those photos brought back some great memories. I remember crossing that bridge at night, it is very nice. I also did some shopping there and saw Molly Malone. We had lunch at a place that use to be a church. John M. Keating loved it.
Sorry to hear about your leg bothering you, and yes you should go back when you are healed.

Anonymous said...

Such a wonderful day! Coffee and coffee cake but with your leg hurt it must have put a damper on it.

I've read quite a few articles about how over time we take on accents because it makes living in a new place, with new people easier. It's a subconscious act because as humans we communicate easier with those who sound and speak like us. I'm afraid I sound very Appalachian.

pajudie said...

Sorry to hear about your leg - but glad you'll get to go back to Dublin some time. When my husband and I were there, we stayed right along the Liffy and it was ok. We were right near the "Famine" statues - very moving. We enjoyed much more our trip around the country and loved the "wild west" - promised each other that we'd go back some day and spend more in that area. Thanks for sharing your trip with us -
Judie

Zlaty said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Happy sewing!

Zlaty

Jackie's Stitches said...

It sounds like a full day in a beautiful city!

Your sock is GORGEOUS! Great job! I love knitting socks and they're a great small project to always have with you.

Mrs Quilty said...

Oh Mickie, how I love your posts!! Looks like quite a trip you had in Dublin, and your poor leg!! I love the knitting you are doing on the sock...something I really want to learn to do one day soon!! What a beautiful city, but I understand how you must have loved getting back home to peace and quiet and of course, to Joe!!! I did take a listen to the Dubliners and Molly Malone and enjoyed it immensely! Will listen to more of their songs too! Hoping your leg gets healed fast and your knitting moves right along!! Hubs, Barbie

quiltmom anna said...

It is too bad your leg was sore Micki, it must have been uncomfortable in places.
Dublin is a big city - funny what you get used to, isn't it. I am not sure I would like living in a small village- I am a big city girl now. Edmonton is about a million people in the greater Edmonton area. Each city has its quieter places and are many small villages within a larger city. There are places in the city I never go to and some I have never even seen..
It sounds like an interesting journey.
Hope your leg is better soon.
Hugs,
Anna

Patty said...

Wow. Micki you really packed in a a lot things in one day. I heard Ireland has changed drastically since I was there with my sisters. It does look crowded. I prefer the quiet of suburbia too. Keep that leg up!

Anonymous said...

Hey Micki


WoW - you were busy. I'm glad you had a great time in Dublin, and thanks so much for posting the pictures. It was lovely to see some of the sights and sounds of Dublin again.

Rachelle x

Miriam said...

I hope your leg is feeling better now. Thank you for the great photos of Dublin. I hope your next trip is much more enjoyable.

Take care.

Abby and Stephanie said...

I had the very good fortune to visit Ireland about 5 years ago. Cliffs of Mohr, Waterford, Cashel, stops inbetween ending in Dublin. One day I shall return--but I'd prefer to skip the city and visit the smaller more quaint places. I'm glad you found my blog so I could visit yours.

Anonymous said...

These were all lovely pictures. Thank you so much for sharing. Your teapot is beautiful. I hope your feeling better soon. I almost feel like I walked those streets with you. It would be a wonderful place to visit.

Vicki H. said...

You walked about Dublin on a torn hamstring!!!!!! I hope you had a good time and speedy recovery on your leg. I live in a small town and occasionally we drive to the larger cities to shop or take in a show or sporting event. At those times, I realize how much I have become a small town person. I like travel but small places agree with me best.

Julia said...

Gosh, Micki...all that walking witha torn hamstring..Hope it heals quickly!
Lovely pics all the same..
Your sock knitting is coming along nicely..
Julia ♥

fabricartist21 said...

I loved your pics of Dublin and felt like I was there with you. I had to laugh about getting the teapot for such a good price. I think I will get me a walking stick and maybe I will go shopping with it, just kidding as I know what a torn hamstring is. Just kick back and let it heal as it will take a while.

Sue said...

Oh Micki, that brought back memories of our too short a stay in Dublin. Where my Sicilian born and Aussie raised fella was asked for directions by an Irishman. We must have looked at home there.

Snot Head (a.k.a Kylie) said...

I know it was busy, but the streets look wonderful! It makes my heart stir seeing the pictures. There is no way I can live my whole life without hiking through Ireland...I supposed I should try to do it now while I'm young and have nothing tying me down...I really hope and pray we can be there in a few years or sooner. I feel like a part of me I can't even imagine is waiting to be unlocked the moment I breathe that Irish air.

Liz said...

Oh Micki, I loved Dublin when we were there, we had coffee at Bewley's (who doesn't) and I love Grafton Street........sigh! I feel homesick for a land I've visited once, must be the half teaspoon of Irish blood that pulsing around my veins! Hope your leg heals (sorry is that a pun?) quickly, big Irish/Aussie hugs.
Lizzie
XXX

Simone de Klerk said...

Oh Micki, thank you for your wonderful tour through Dublin and sharing all the adventures you went through. The sock looks perfect.
Hope you get to visit Dublin soon again together with Joe and without a stick.

lesthook said...

Arg! My hip did the same thing to me at the Turkey Festival on Saturday! I hate crowds too but would put up with it for Dublin!

Granny Lyn said...

Oh, what a shame your leg wouldn't let you see more! Do go back, you are such a wonderful tour guide! love all those pictures! The archetecture is wonderful!

As for the knitting! it was well worth the trip, your heel is absolutely perfect.

Clarity said...

That looks beautiful, especially the bridge by night.

I hope your hamstring improves and glad that you are returned to the lovely serenity.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

You are one tought cookies, making the trip with your torn hamstring.
The sock is looking wonderful.
Keep the leg up and rest.

webbsway said...

O Micki - I absolutely adore your turkish teapot!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know how you managed to carry it with your bum leg, but it is such a treasure! Your pictures are beautiful and that was a long hard trip, but well worth your effort.

I am so thrilled that Joe won that monitor ! I am so glad that the "Luck of the Irish" is with you guys lately!!!!!!!!!

Love the picture of you on your "wheels"!!!!!!!!!!!
O, I think it is neat to see your clock and while I am writing you - you are having sweet Irish dreams!
hugs! Linda

CindyMae said...

Your trip sounds and looks wonderful. So sorry that your leg bothered you so much though. The pics are fantastic! Love the progress of your sock too! Thanks for sharing the link to the panoramic pic, that was awesome to see!

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hi Micki...big cities tend to be a bit like that don't they...Sydney's the same!!! Hope you and Joe get back another day when it's not so rushed and you have the time to go through Dublin...Dzintra♥x

Anonymous said...

Thank`s for your interesting , lovely pics of Dublin.
I never was there, I enjoyed all !

Best wishes for your kneecap

Have a nice day

Rena
xxx

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Glad you had a great time. But hope you'll rest doubly, this week. :-)

The reason I entered "Blog Land," years and years ago, is a young man from Dublin. I knew Drew from an international Mailing List {anyone remember those???}. He was on Live Journal and way back then, you needed an Invite from someone already on LJ, to join. He gave me an Invite and I joined and... the rest is history. :-)

He even taught me some Earth Magic and I have his instructions, to this day. :-)

Anonymous said...

Micki,

What a full day!! I am loving the colors of your sock!! They are going to be comfy when you are finished with them...

Pam said...

Boy - that sounds like quite the adventure. It is too bad your foot was injured - it would have made things a bit easier for you. I had a holiday in England one year where I fell in Scotland and walked around for the next two weeks on a broken ankle - so I know what it feels to hobble around and how hard it is to enjoy things when you are in pain.

I hope it is better now!

Years ago we went to Dublin for a visit - I enjoyed reliving our little trip with the post - thanks :)))

Maggi said...

Wow, that is some travelling time. I am glad that your hamstring didn't stop you enjoying your trip - and it did have its advantages as far as the sympathy vote for the teapot went. Maggi

Nat Palaskas said...

Hi Micki, I am glad I got to read this entry of your Dublin Trip. I can see that you would have enjoyed it more if you didn't have to rush. It's funny to read that everything seemed too busy to you LOL. We used to lived in Bathurst (that where I met Dzintra) and we went to Sydney and I felt like I was a country cow, mooing along looking at everything with big eyes!!! Look forward to seeing your finished sock - Hugs Nat

Jennifer Williams said...

Wow - Dublin looks fantastic! It seems odd seeing everyone walking about. You have to drive everywhere here.

I'm sorry to hear about your leg but it sounds like you had a good trip in spite of it!