
First of all, Joe's head is better, although his gash was pretty bad. I was just relieved that he had no concussion. Thanks for your concern! I hope that I don't have dreams like that again. The whole experience was very upsetting. Today, I will finish catching up on my blogs, and I will do so later this afternoon.
I read a few of the blogs yesterday, and I discovered that Robyn from Daisy Quilts has come up with a really neat idea about telling how we became quilters. I decided to join in as it would be fun to read how others got into quilting, and to also share my story. My mom and dad had a fabric store. The amazing thing about it is that my dad built the store in the basement of our house with his bare hands. He worked on it a long time and one day they opened the store. It was called Mina's Dry Goods, and many people got to know the store in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.My mom was a seamstress, and she taught me how to sew. At the time, I didn't appreciate it to the extent that I do now. I was taught how to design and sew my own clothes, how to sew beautiful items for the home, and in time, I began to love to sew. I worked in my parents' store, and I learned to love fabric too, and as my mom was also an artist, as I am, I learned to appreciate colours. After I married and moved to Ireland, I got into quilting. I know my mom would have loved to make a quilt, but she never did. I never had time to get into any hobbies
I then saw a quilt that was appliqued and thought it was wonderful, so I took a class in hand applique, and fell in love with the whole process. I made my first appliqued wall hanging based on a Reva Roark Stewart pattern, and it took me forever and a day to cut out and turn all the pieces and then to hand sew it, but boy did I love doing it, so I made this wall hanging.
Finally, I bought my first Carol Doak's
book, and discovered the exciting world of paper piecing, and that became my next passion. This was the first block that I made, and then I was hooked. That led me to tons of quilts that I paper pieced and of course to the Carnivale quilt which I recently completed.
I guess what I love about quilting is that there is always a pattern around the corner that will excite me and challenge me to excel further. I do like to do very challenging projects, I have to admit. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that Jennifer Chiaverini'd Elm Creek Series r
eally got me into loving quilting even more. I picked the Sylvia Bridal Sampler to do, and I learned so much about quilting from having completed that quilt. It took me four months to do as I mentioned before, but in the end, I had a quilt that I would treasure forever, and a wealth of information that I had mastered from making it. The beauty of it all, is that there is always another quilt waiting to be completed, and I know I will be quilting for the rest of my life.
eally got me into loving quilting even more. I picked the Sylvia Bridal Sampler to do, and I learned so much about quilting from having completed that quilt. It took me four months to do as I mentioned before, but in the end, I had a quilt that I would treasure forever, and a wealth of information that I had mastered from making it. The beauty of it all, is that there is always another quilt waiting to be completed, and I know I will be quilting for the rest of my life.That's my story. Today, Joe and I finish the painting outside. We will head to the new quilt shop. I will take a pic of it, and then this weekend is the Jazz Festival, so that should be fun. I will keep you updated on all of that.
Enjoy your weekend and thanks again to everyone!
30 comments:
It nice to remember how we started i have a little scrappy top i did for my mum it is awful now i see how far i come but i keep it because i had given it to her & i got it back when she passed away
I bet your work was great to start with but like wine you improve with age lol
Hugs Janice
Oh Micki...how wonderful to know all that past history of yours...and doing that Elm Tree Quilt...WOW!!! I love Log Cabin...I love your work...STUNNING...Dzintra♥x
Hello my lovely colleen,So happy to hear that Joe is OK. I enjoyed this post very much and have another invitation for you.
I just wrote a post entitled "these are a few of my favourite things" a la Julie Andrews! Dzintra is going to post about hers and we wanted to invite you to do the same!
Meanwhile I accept the invitation to write about how I started quilting....love KAth x
Thanks for sharing your sewing story. It is so interesting to see how people have learned to love quilting. There are many who were garment sewers, but also many who have never sewn a stitch before. You do such beautiful work! Keep it up :-)
What a fabulous idea. Loved reading your story. I have zero, ZERO, pictures of any of my quilting projects before the last 2 years :(
Mmmmmm I have one of my first ones hanging in my daughter's bedroom.
Enjoy the new store and the festival.
Love your photos Micki. My favorite is the paper pieced star. It is really interesting to read how people got started with quilting.
So glad Joe is okay and has no lasting effect from his hit on the head. I am working on Sylvia's Bridal Sampler and doing it in blue and white. Have 3 rows completed. A long way to go.
You can design and sew your own clothes!!! Oh how lucky you are, to have learned such an art and a skill!
Glad to hear that Joe is feeling better, but I'd still like to hear that he had a head X-ray. I worry so, about head injuries, since that British actress died, after a ski fall.
'Aunt Amelia'
Please don't 'knock' your dream. Or fear it. Please don't. For some reason, you were able to feel that Joe would have a head injury. And he did.
Please don't wonder about it. Please just listen to it, the next time. Give him the opportunity to decide whether or not to go through with a planned project, which you have 'felt' would be unwise.
There are so many things, in this Universe, which we can not explain. But to discover any ability, is wonderful. To me, anyway. I fully believe in Synchrinosity. [When we are tuned to something or someone, sometimes we "know" when something is or will happen.]
I have had it happen, and even my husband, a long time skeptic... who called it Coincidence... He was won over by one instance in particular, which happened to me.
I embrace it. I pay attention to it. I never doubt it. Or worry about it. I'm just happy to have it work out correctly, many times.
Gentle hugs,
'Aunt Amelia'
Aunt Amelia's Attic blog
I really enjoyed reading your account of how you came to quilting! How fantastic your journey was! I am much like that, one thing leads to another. Each experience is filed away in my brain to be added to the next thing I learned.
I'm glad your husband is feeling well!
You are a great story teller and I thank you for sharing your journey with us. Your Sylvia's is so bright and cheerful..so much different than my dark one. Isn't it fun to see the different choices we all make? I'm hooked on the little blocks I think.
Good news on Joe.
Thanks for the read. Very interesting.
SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com
I enjoyed reading this Micki. I realise now how much work went into your Bridal Sampler, having seen a version at the FOQ. Maggi
Your quilts are so beautiful and you know, I just never even gave it a thought as to when and where you began to make them... You are awesome! I still really love, love that Bridal Quilt! Great works of art!
hugz
Pam
So glad to hear Joe is better just read about your dream etc. Nice to get the painting done in the nice weather. I also remember how I started to quilt in 1992 I think it was I made a butterfly quilt. It sure is a fun hobby. My second quilt was the log cabin. Hope all is well. Your quilts are beautiful. Have a wonderful day.
How wonderful to read your sewing story!
Your work is so amazing and pretty!!!
Happy Joe is doing better too.
Wish we could get our home painted in 2 days...;-)
Enjoy your weekend!!
"Hi Joe"... good to know you are doing better.
Love the quilt story. I will do this 'question' on my blog tomorrow!
Glad to hear that Joe's on the mend. It was fun to read your stitching story, Micki. I wonder how many of us learned to sew from our moms? That is an amazing quilt; you must have worked day and night to finish in only 4 months. Have a fun weekend!
thanks for sharing your 'history'. Your quilts are all lovely!
It is nice to remember how and what inspires us to do something we love.
cheers
Marina
oh, how I admire your tenacity! to finish that quilt in only 4 months? it would take me 4 years!!!!
I just loved learning about your journey, thanks for sharing!
Oh Micki, I am so glad your Joe is ok! How terribly scary! I had to back up a day and read that post to find out about it! Dreams can be prophetic and scary! Thank goodness it turned out ok! I love hearing about how you came to quilting!! Beautiful pics too!!!
I love how your mama taught you all about sewing! That log cabin is delicious! And the paper piecing one is amazing! I also love your description that another new pattern is just around the corner to draw you in! It's so true!!! Thanks for sharing so beautifully!
Dear Micki- You and Joe are so special - I am so grateful that he did not get seriously hurt. I agree with the others that you have a gift showing there and learn to listen.
Your work is fantastic - what a wonderful story of your life! I have a feeling your Mom is so proud of you.
Hugs - Linda - The Sewing Granny
Micki thank you for sharing your history of quilting. I so enjoyed this post of yours. Your first yellow and blue quilt is so good for a fisrt quilt. I never finished my first quilt and it ended up in the trash can...now I wish that I had kept it and try to finished it.
I loved hearing your story. Quilting is really a journey that never ends. Your Elm Tree quilt is beautiful! Glad Joe is okay -- hope you have no more crazy dreams!!
Thank you for leaving the first message ever on my blog, Micki. Having a compliment from a professional quilter like you certainly overwhelms me. I'm also very happy to learn that you're tracking my blog. I'll do my best to share. I'll introduce Taiwan on my blog from time to time. Can't express how grateful I am. ^^
All so interesting, Micki and wow! just 4 months to do Sylvia's Bridal Sampler - that must be a record!
Hugs - Lurline♥
Great quilting journey...I agree I will quilt for the rest of my life!
Glad Joe's ok!
I'm so glad to hear that Joe is feeling better.
What a great story about how you began quilting. Love that paper pieced work.
Enjoy the new quilt shop!
That is a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing it. I had no idea your parents had their own store. I can understand why you were so close to your father. He sounds like a wonderful hard working man. He gave you something good to look for later in life. :)
I might just be able to tell my own story about quilting...You never know. ;o)
Hi Micki, forgive me for taking so long to get here but I've been away.
Your story is another amazing and inspiring one... thanks for sharing your pics and telling us how you became a quilter.
I look forward to reading more.
hugs to you,
Robyn xx
Post a Comment