Friday, September 4, 2009

Irish Needlecase and Dunfanaghy Jazz Festival, and Some Interesting Local Information











I wanted to first tell you that I am feeling much better since my fall, and I am grateful for that.

Thanks to all the well wishers! I really appreciated it so much!





I made an Irish needlecase today, and it was fun. It was a combination of machine sewing, hand stitching, and some applique. The inside has a pocket that has several sections to it, and I used a very colourful blue pattern. I loved the shamrocks which I put on the front and back. Now, in the pic, they don't look green, and by gosh they are green, but that's the way it goes with a camera. Also, the stitiching did not come out too clearly with the pic, but you will get the idea.I also added some wonderful decorative trim all around and fun buttons that I had, and I enjoyed the whole process. As you can see, I used crosshatch quilting which is a grid pattern that I created. I think that needlecases are great to make for oneself, but they also make great gifts.







Joe and I are both looking forward to the Jazz Festival in Dunfanaghy. I am including this link here, as it gives you all of the music sessions that will be held in our village, and also gives you information about Dunfanaghy. If you click on the music programmes on the left column, you will see all of the music events at various places like the pubs, hotels, etc. We have several that we will be attending. All of the music sessions are free. Of course, the drinks that you buy are not, but it should be a fun weekend. I will take some pics and post them, and I hope to give you a sense of the festival. We have always loved this festival each year.
As to the interesting local information, if you are planning a visit to Ireland, several quilters coincidentally run B&B's and display their wonderful quilting projects throughout the B&B rooms. One of them lives here in Dunfanaghy. Bridgit owns the Carrigan House in our picturesque village of Dunfanaghy. She is an avid quilter, and she is a member of the Sheephaven Guild in our village. She displays her lovely quilts on all of the beds, on the walls, and has them hanging on quilt racks, thus staying in her lovely B&B is like attending a quilt show, plus you get a huge Irish breakfast. There are B&B's like that all over the area.Some of them even host quilting weekend getaways where you can partake in a little patchwork or applique. You can see her B&B to get an idea of what I am talking about here .When I first came to Ireland many years ago, Joe took me camping, but we also stayed at several B&B's. I just love them!

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, and enjoy whatever you are planning!





25 comments:

Heckety said...

I;so sorry you had fall, I missed that post. You poor thing. I hope you really are better ad looking after yourself?
The Music sound like fun, traditional Irish musicians are the maddest people on earth!

Searchfamilies said...

The needlecase is lovely, i hope you enjoy the week-end festival of Jazz
Hugs Janice

marina said...

Glad you have recovered from your fall.
Your needlecase looks lovely.
Is this for your swap?

Colleen's Blog Long Island NY said...

Micki, I seem to have that problem with my camera too. Colors don't look true. Missed seeing you all week. I am glad you are feeling better.

blushing rose said...

So glad you are doing better since the fall.

I was reading your story on your wedding(s) ... don't they say that the 3rd time is a charm? Chuckle!

The pics today reminds me of the wonderful times we had in restaurants & taverns when we were in Ireland, of the gentlemen playing their instruments to serenade us at dinner times ... so welcomed & enjoyed.

Love the stitchery, Micki.

Have a beautiful weekend. TTFN ~Marydon

Miriam said...

I love your shamrocks!!

Have fun at the jazz festival. I can't wait to see your photographs.
Thank you for the information about the quilter's B & Bs. It makes me want to come to visit Donegal even more!!

webbsway said...

Micki, I was really getting worried about you . My sky gets dark without you to light it up.! I had a favorite verse that said: a thing of beauty is a joy forever and that makes me think of you.

Your needlecase is beautiful - I love it. Hope you and Joe have a wonderful time this weekend!
hugs. linda

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

What a wonderful post Micki...you are going to have a great weekend!!! I had a look at the B&B...a lovely place to stay!!! Cool needlecase too...Enjoy it all...Dzintra♥x

retdairyqueen said...

I mustn,t have read your posts properly because I didn.t realise you had a fall
Glad all is better now and I liked your needle case
Take care

Jocelyn said...

HOW CUTE! I Love your needlecase. Enjoy your weekend :-)

SewCalGal said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Still, I look forward to when you feel 100% again.

Looks like you had fun at the Jazz Festival.

I also like your Irish Needlecase. Different design than what I'm use to, but looks delightful.

Thanks for sharing.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Micki,

What a beautiful needlecase!

Chris H said...

It's good to hear you are so much better.
Love the needle cases, very cute.
Have a great weekend, I am!

ceecee said...

I'm glad you're feeling better after your fall. I was just reading your post about it. Those wet floors are so dangerous. I'm so glad you didn't break anything like I did last year...It is just now almost perfect and I fell in November!! Enjoyed reading about your elopement too. We did something very similar. It was just too much of a hassle to try to get families together from different areas of the country, not to mention the expense. At least you had a dog watching...we didn't even have a witness!
All the best,
Catherine

PurestGreen said...

Hooray that you're on the mend. Nothing like a music festival to add a little extra healing.

Nat Palaskas said...

Lovely needlecase. Glad you are feeling better. Have a nice weekend, Irish music is one of my favorite kind - Hugs Nat

Nedra said...

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. And I love the needlecases.

Betsy said...

Mickii the needlecase is delightful. I am so glad you are feeling better.

Maggi said...

Glad you are feeling better Micki. Your needlecase is lovely.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about the fall. Glad to hear you are doing better. I hope the weekend will be lots of fun. Guess what, I sent my first every siggie out. Hopefully I will get the list soon to make more.

Willow

molly said...

Mikki, This was fun to read! I followed all your links, and seeing that lovely beach and the gorgeous B&B made me wish I could be there for the music next w.e.! In 1970, on our honeymoon, we drove all around Connemara and Donegal. The sun shone the entire week [a miracle in itself!]

Two of my grandmother's sisters were nuns, and I remember the beautiful needle cases they used to make, particularly one, made from black velvet in the shape of a very elegant cat! I wish I knew what happened to it....I suppose, if I were ambitious, I could try to reproduce it from memory!

Have fun next w.e.!

a good yarn said...

DElighted to read that you are feeling much better after your fall. I love your needle case - it's a work of art! Carrigan House sounds like a definite must see and stay if your visit Old Eire. Ann :)

Simone de Klerk said...

Love the needle case you made! So how was your Jazz weekend? Bet you and Joe had a wonderful time.

Marie said...

So thrilled you are feeling much better, a girl can't be down in that beautiful place you live. The music festival really looks like great fun. Will write when I return from Calif. visiting my middle child. Stay well my friend. Many hugs, Marie

Anonymous said...

Hi Micki, I enjoyed reading your post...would have loved to join you at the Dunfanaghy Jazz Festival...love your Irish Needlecase..hugs lyn