Thursday, November 12, 2009

Recipe Swap

Welcome to The Recipe Swap! Karrie is having a wonderful swap, so stop by her blog and check out the links to the other people who are giving recipes.

I am starting off with my favorite thing of all....chocolate. Here is a recipe for Chocolate Truffle....Enjoy!

5 oz of dark chocolate in small pieces

1 and a quarter pint of double cream

1 oz unsalted butter

To coat:

2 oz pistachios, chopped

2 oz, dark chocolate

2 oz coconut

Place the chocolate, double cream and butter in a bowl, set it over a pan of barely simmering water and allow to melt slowly, stirring occasionally. Once melted, put in a cool place or in the fridge until the mixture is firm, but not completely solid.

Then grate the dark chocolate and set aside. Take a heaped teaspoon of truffle mixture and roll out in your hands to make a ball. Roll the ball in one of the coatings, then repeat with the rest of the mixture, alternating coatings to create a selection. Place in paper cases and put in the fridge until you are ready to box them up....,Yummy!

This is a popular dessert in Ireland.....Figgy pudding. This one can be eaten straight away or in a few days.

8 oz dried figs, chopped

1 and three quarters dates chopped

grated rind and juice of 1 orange

2 tablespoons brandy

4 and a half ounces plain flour

pinch of salt

1 teaspoon of mixed spice

1 teaspoon of baking powder

3 and a half oz fresh white breadcrumbs

4 and a half ounces of shredded suet

4 and a half oz of dark muscovado sugar

4 eggs

butter for greasing

Put the figs and dates in a bowl and pour over the orange juice and brandy. Cover and leave to soak overnight. Sift the flour, salt, spices, and baking powder into a large bowl and stir in the breadcrumbs, suet, sugar,soaked fruit and grated orange rind. Beat the eggs and stir into the fruit mixture. Butter a 1 and a half pint pudding basin and spoon the mixture into it. Make a pleat in a large circle of foil and use this to cover the pudding basin. Tie around the edge with a string to secure and steam for three hours until cooked. Turn out of the basin and serve with custard of brandy butter....Delicious!

Also, if you have leftovers over Christmas, this recipe uses some of the extras to make a great snack or lunch.

Turkey and Ham Spread

8 oz cold roast turkey

4 oz cold cooked ham

7 oz cream cheese softened

2 oz watercress, finely chopped
a few drops of tabasco
1 lime halved
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Put the turkey and ham into a food processor and whiz until chopped.Stir in the creamed cheese and add the watercress, a few drops of tabasco or slices of lime. Use to make sandwiches or spreading on toast. It will keep for a few days in the fridge.....Don't freeze!

Finally, you know how the Irish love potatoes, well here is a recipe called Potatoes with Parmesan, which is a winner.

1 and a half oz butter

2 lb, 4 oz waxy potatoes, thinly sliced

salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 sprigs fresh thymes, leaves pulled out

18 fl oz double cream

1 and a half pint sour cream

7 fl oz full fat milk

2 garlic cloves, crushed

1 oz parmesan, grated

Preheat the oven to 300F . Butter a large oven proof baking dish. Cover the bottom of the dish with a layer of overlapping potato slices and season with salt, pepper, and thyme.

Continue until you have used all of the potatoes, remembering to add seasoning at each level.

Mix together the double cream, sour cream, milk and garlic and pour over the potatoes so the liquid just covers them. Scatter with the parmesan. Place on a baking sheet to catch any drips and cook for one hour. Increase the temp. to 400 degrees F and cook for a further 45 minutes. Stand for 5 minutes before serving to allow the cream to settle.....Yummy on a cold day.

Enjoy the recipes. Don't forget to visit Kerrie's blog to get more blogs to visit, so you can gather recipes.







16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darn I just ate dinner and you've made me hungry again.. especially for those potatoes and some chocolate.. yum!
Thanks for sharing

Tara said...

I've always wondered exactly what figgy pudding contained, very interesting! Your other recipes sound delicious too and your chocolate mousse sounds very sinful!

CC said...

Oh my... your recipes all sound wonderful. My problem will be which to try first.hmmmmm, ok..I will go with the chocolate first..then those yummy sounding potatoes. Thank you so much for sharing with us..

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Great recipes Micki...especially the chocolate...the potatoes...okay, all of them!!! Dzintra♥x

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Micki,
Your recipes are intersting! I've always wanted to try Figgy Pudding! My hubby comes from an Irish stock and loves anything Irish! Thanks for sharing your recipes and have a wonderful weekend.
Love your blog background.;)

Blessings,
Sandi

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Oh Oh!!!! I think I just clogged my my arteries, just by reading that Chocolate Truffle recipe!!!!!!!! ,-) I'm not even going to _read_ the rest.

Things like that, are in my past, since having my coronary artery stents. And actually, I'm not having a hard time with not having so many goodies. So far, I _can't_ make myself eat them.

And I hope this effect lasts! Life changes are so much easier, when it isn't a horrrrrible strugggggle to do them. :-)

^_^

Stayathomemommy said...

Oh you can never go wrong with chocolate! Your recipes sound delicious. Thank you for joining the recipe swap!
~Karrie

Ana said...

Wow Micki so many delicious recipes. Thanks for sharing them with us. Love chocolate so I might try your Chocolate Truffle recipe. Yumo! Have a wonderful weekend.

Blessings,
♥Ana

Anonymous said...

They all sound so good. I am going to try them soon.

Thanks.

Willow

blushing rose said...

There went the calories .. through the ROOF! Sounds delicious. A gal at the shop makes Figgy Pudding every year.

Have a lovely day. Come enter our TRIPLE GIVEAWAY, if you haven't. TTFN ~ Marydon

Unknown said...

What yummy looking recipes! The Chocolate Truffles sound just divine, as chocolate is one of my favorite things too! I would love to try the Potato's too! I am always looking for great potato recipes for the holidays!

Rooster Inn Primitives said...

Your recipes sound really good. Love anything chocolate. LOL

Thanks for sharing them with all of us.

Pam

Anonymous said...

These sound like great recipes! Thank you for sharing. I'm going to give them a try. I hope you have a great weekend ♥

Nancy M. said...

Wow, what great recipes! I am a chocoholic, so that truffle recipe sounds wonderful!

Unknown said...

it all sounds good....well, maybe not the figgy pudding but I might be surprised.....Is double cream like a heavy cream?

Dena said...

Just what I need, more food to eat. LOL

You're recipes sound great, especially the Chocolate Truffle. Thanks!