Saturday, March 27, 2010

Some Really Wonderful Mail Arrives

Bunny sent me my giveaway prize, and boy is it special! I got this wonderful paper piecing pattern called Crown of Jewels and tons of fabric pieces to use for the pattern. Now, if you have been a follower for a while, you know that I love to paper piece, so this was right up my alley! I was so thrilled with it all Bunny, and thank you so much!
Also, Lyn sent me a lovely booklet that tells the story about the family dog named Monty. I have thoroughly enjoyed this booklet about him. She calls him the Little Tornado, and a pain in the butt, but oh my is he a funny dog , and I laughed a lot when reading about all his antics. I have to admit that he reminded me of our Rufus, who is our border collie, because our other dog Charlie is just way too laid back to remind me of Monty. Rufus is our pain in the butt, but we love him so much, as does Lyn her dog. Here is a pic of Rufus Lyn!

All I can say Lyn is that it is more fun having a dog like your Monty and our Rufus....It's a shame that they can't meet, as they are kindred spirits.LOL Charlie just sleeps most of the day, as you can see by the pic, but boy is he cute!

Rufus, on the other hand, is always into some trouble like Monty is , but he is the best dog ever and boy does he have a heart of gold....just look at his eyes! I can never forget that someone literally set him on fire and beat him, and yes, our bills were horrendous getting him straightened out medically when we rescued him, but he has given us so much joy and love that we feel blessed that we found him. He is a pain in the butt, but we love him.Oh by the way Lyn, our dogs eat chicken and dry food...I know that will make you smile. Thanks for sending me that story...I just laughed and laughed and had a blast reading it! It was so kind of you to think of me, and boy did you make me smile!
Then, I got a Sunshine Award from Miriam. Thanks for giving me the award and saying that I inspire you. Since my shingles, I have fought to regain my strength back, and really still haven't completely, but I was thrilled that I am still inpiring to you. It has taken me a while to get back to doing what I did before, but your award was so kind. I will just pass it on to all of my followers, so grab the award if you want, as you all inspire me so much. Thanks again Miriam...it was so kind of you!

Saturday is just beginning. Joe and I are going for our usual long walk after we finish breakfast, and I am sure that it will be beautiful! I am starting today to be a vegan. Besides, it helping me to shed the few pounds that I want to shed, I am thrilled to be doing this at last, as I have been wanting to be a vegetarian. I got the book Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman. You can see information about it here. I have over the years gotten rid of red meat, and mostly have eaten vegetables and fruit with either a bit of chicken or fish, so today, I become a vegan...no eggs, meat, fish, dairy, salt, sugar and the list goes on, so you can read about it at the site. I love beans, vegetables, fruit, grains like couscous, and bread, etc, so I know I can do this, and if I shed the twenty pounds that I want to shed, that will be a bonus. As I love animals and it is better for my overall health, I know this is the right decision. Well, I will have to spice up the taste with a bit of humous or spices, and get used to that, but I am ready to go. For breakfast, I am having a banana and some grapes...I could have made a smoothie with low fat soy milk (which is allowed), but I will have to buy the soy milk this week in Letterkenny.
Off to make breakfast, and I have talked your ears off enough.LOL Enjoy your weekends!

19 comments:

Maggi said...

What a lovely win Micki. I look forward to seeing it made up. The pictures of your dogs are so cute. Good luck being a vegan - I like my cheese and eggs too much to become one but I know lots of people say how energised they are by it.

Bunny said...

Hi Micki I am so happy you received your parcel. Hope you have fun making you wall hanging.

Gene Black said...

Great prizes Micki. And so perfect for you. You were obviously meant to win.
I love your pictures of Charlie and Rufus.

Maria said...

What lovely surprises you got in the mail.
Your Charlie sure is a relaxed kinda dog. LOL. So cute.
Enjoy your weekend.

Barb said...

I hope you enjoyed your walk, I am just getting up so that means you are getting ready for bed. You did get alot of fun things in the mail...don't you just love it.

Congrats on the award...

Liz said...

Great post Micki, love your dogs. Good luck with the vegan diet, I do like my dairy products so vegetarian will have to do for me I think!
Have a good day.
Lizzie
XXX

Anonymous said...

Hi Micki, so glad you enjoyed the story of Monty.....as I write..Monty is laying next to me.....surely there could not be another twin to Monty...grin....when I read what happened to Rufus.....I cried....just cannot understand some people....Hugs lyn

Nedra said...

Two of my children have been vegan at one time, and then went back to being a vegetarian. Now they both eat meat sparingly. They enjoyed the diet for health reasons. I try and eat a lot of fruits and veggies in my diet, but still crave meat here and there. Like you, we hardly ever eat red meat, and stick with fish, chicken and turkey (and sparingly at that)
Let us know how it goes!

Julia said...

What lovely surprises you got in the mail, Micki.
Good luck with the vegan diet...If I lived alone I could do it, but now cooking for Dh, he loves his meat..
Julia ♥

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

good luck with the new menu. Please keep us posted about how it goes. Being a farmer's daughter/wife from the midwest, we eat a lot of pork and beef. It would be very hard to be a vegan here but I don't eat near as much as most Americans. If we all ate like we did in the 50's, we would be healthier and thinner. Processed foods are the bane of America's children. ★Linda

Simone de Klerk said...

Our Bibi is more like your Charlie, sleeping most of the day, but so sweet and such good company!
Have a lovely Sunday!

marina said...

What a lovely parcel of goodies!
Good luck with your new life choice.
cheers
marina

Unknown said...

Dogs...faithful to the end. I have a westie and know that my life is blessed to be loved unconditionally by a dog. So, the dogs must love the walks too.
Another luck for you Micki...happiness is...
I don't think I could do the vegan thing...love the eggs, butter, too much. I do eat more veggies and fruit than I used to though.

Tara said...

It looks like you got lots of goodies! Congratulations on your award Micki! Your two dogs are ADORABLE! Don't you just love it when they roll over and stick their legs up like that! Have a great day and a wonderful week to come.

Heckety said...

Lovely mail to get! Have you read the book Marley and Me? My girls took it when I bought it and I'm still waiting to read it but they laughed and laughed over marly-dog's lunatic antics! I certainly wouldn't be without our two dog-people- even though they have just spent the weekend trying to chase off all the girls' guests one by one...and then every time they went out of the house...

I'm sorry to hear that your strength is so slow returning. Its just as well you have your new 'quiet' crafts to do as I should think that time spent at the sewing machine would be more tiring for you? You poor thing really, you've been through the mill rather.

Maggey and Jim said...

Hello Micki,
Wow, that is quite an undertaking.. I really don't know if I could do it.. My sister-in-law is vegan and she does really well.She was a vegetarian at first, now she has gone the whole way.. I am hoping your strength will get better and you are doing so many good things with your cards. Lovely..
Hugs,
Maggey

webbsway said...

Mickie - you are such an inspiration to all of us.

I did the vegetarian life about 10 years ago-but still have fish occasionally for some health issues.

I will be very curious to see what you think as you take this new path. Sometimes I can go for weeks and have ideas pop in my head and sometimes It is like I get stuck in a rut -like beans for a week??? Good thing DH and I really do like beans. :) Sometimes it seems like some of the recipes I run across call for things that are strangers to me and I cannot find them.

Good luck - I know you will be happier with your decision.

Congrats. on your new win! You are the very essence of the Spirit of the Irish.

Linda said...

Charlie and Rufus are so sweet. I love your photography, very beautiful countryside. Linda:)

Unknown said...

I am so bad with food. If you tell me I cant have something, that is what I want...even if I never wanted it in the first place....i dont eat much meat anyway...and I dont like cheese and eggs at all....good for you and good luck. I hope it makes you feel better!