Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I Heard the Birds


It has been a hard week with my illness, but it ended off with a lovely day. I finally got called to get my new digital hearing aid. For years now, my hearing has gotten worse and worse , and I have not even been able to hear any conversation and get the whole gist of what people were saying. Today, I was a bit apprehensive about going there. They gave me the latest digital hearing aid and I got a sense of it, but she told me not to wear it until I got home, as I might be too overwhelmed by all the sounds. She said that it might take me a few weeks to get used to it.Well, when I got home, Joe and I decided to go for our walk and feed Coco the horse. I was walking down the road, and suddenly I heard the birds. I haven't heard birds for such a long time. I couldn't believe it ,and needless to say, I was overwhelmed, that is, overwhelmed with joy. I heard them all the way down the road to the horse. It was incredible how many sounds I could hear! When we got to Coco, I had always seen his face move when he sort of snorted to greet us, and Joe used to ask me if I heard him, but I didn't . Today, I did. What a joy that was! I came home and watched the show Judging Amy, and I never got the words previously, and boy did that upset me as I really loved the show.. Hey, it was filmed in America, and I was not getting it, but of course, I didn't hear most of the words. Today, I got all of what they said and never enjoyed a show more. Boy, do I wish that Desperate Housewives was on tonight so I could see and hear it, but the new shows won't start till the fall. Anyways, it has truly been a wonderful day!!
I also got my bingo prize from The Quilt Shoppe. It is a quilt book on making rag quilts. I never made one, so this one will be an interesting read. Thanks so much!
Oh, I have to tell you, that it only took me an hour to adjust to the digital hearing aid.That was a blessing too, and nothing but nothing can top the sensations that I was feeling today being able to hear so many things, especially the beautiful songs of the birds.

31 comments:

Nedra said...

I am so happy for you! The birds singing is one of my favorite sounds to wake up to in the morning.

Barb said...

That is so wonderful......I remember getting glasses for the first time ....to be able to see details was amazing....so fun for you....glad you are doing better.

Janet said...

How wonderful to be able to hear all those wonderful sounds. We take those things for granted until they are gone. It's wonderful that the new device can restore that wonderful sense of hearing for you again. I'm so pleased for you.

Kath said...

Wow, a whole new world awaits! Enjoy XX

Quilter Going Bananas said...

I'm so thrilled to hear your new hearing aid is such a success! Now I hope you recover quickly from the shingles and infection and you'll be right as rain very soon!

Jocelyn said...

Micki, how very wonderful! We do take these things for granted until we lose them. Enjoy your new world of sound :-)

Maggey and Jim said...

Sorry, I didn't know bout the hearing thing but I have inner ear(tininitis ) and have some hearing loss, so I am headed there one day.Jim always has to turn up the sound for me and some of the actors really mumble?? What's with that?? One show is called Castle and I always have to have it up then.. WEll hope you get back to snuff soon. HUgs,
Maggey

Patty said...

So glad you got your hearing aid I know it made a huge difference in my mother's life, she was missing so much and not you will be able to hear all the things that you've been missing.

nutmegg said...

Hi Micki, how wonderful for you,we do tend to take hearing etc.for granted don't we.There's nothing better than the sounds of birds,we have a pet Magpie and a Magpie warble is one of the nicest sounds around.....have fun and take care....xoxo

Maggi said...

I am so very happy for you Micki. I love listening to the birds and I don't know what I would do if I couldn't listen to my music. I treasure every moment that I still have my hearing and my sight.

Liz said...

Happy for you Micki, so many wonderful sounds to hear. Hope you're feeling much better now....
Lizzie
xxx

Miriam said...

What wonderful news, Micki! I am sooo glad you can hear birdsong again!

Take care.

Carol said...

That's wonderful Micki. May you and your hearing aid have many tuneful years together :)

Jackie's Stitches said...

Fantastic news! Your walks are going to be new to you all over again now that you can hear so much better.

Tracey said...

What wonderful news! I can just imagine your face as you heard the birds singing. What a blessing!

Gene Black said...

Micki, your wonder at all the lovely sounds reminds me of the last day of 3rd grade. You see on that day I got my first ever glasses. I didn't know you could see individual leaves on the trees, or blades of grass (unless you got your face down on the ground!)

Because of that memory, I can relate and be SO happy for you.

Pat said...

I'm happy for you and always glad to hear happy hearing aid stories as I really do need one myself. I'm just fearful of the cost as I know my insurance won't cover it and I think they are frightfully expensive here (and maybe everywhere).

Nat Palaskas said...

Hi Micki, I'm over joy for your. We take all these things for granted until we don't have them. It must be wonderful to hear the singing birds. Enjoy Nat

Zlaty said...

Hi Micki,

I am so happy for you, it is a such a blessing to be able to hear! On both sides of my family people have troubles hearing so maybe some day I need an aid too. I just so about you illness, I hope you are getting plenty of rest and I wish you speedy recovery!

Dawn said...

I am very happy for you Micki! I have a bird feeder in my backyard and I love to sit and listen to the birds! I can feel your excitement about hearing.....everything! Woo Hoo!

Cattinka said...

I didn´t know you couldn´t hear good, it must have been great to hear birds again.
KATRIN W.

Simone de Klerk said...

Reading this, dear Micki, makes me once again realize that we should not take things for granted! I will listen more closely again when taking a walk, and be more thankful for teh sounds we can hear!
I am so happy for you!

andsewon said...

Micki!! Happy the hearing aid has helped so much!! Technology has come a long way and has made such a difference in so many lives. Enjoy the sounds of your world!!
Big Hugs,
Lola

Becky said...

What joyful news! Rejoicing with you! Thank you for sharing about your hearing loss and new digital "friend." It's a great reminder for me to listen and appreciate all the sounds around me. Take care!

Kaaren said...

Amazing news, Micki. I'm just thrilled for you. Your post just puts everything in perspective and makes me realize once again how much we take things for granted.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Oh wow Micki...I'm so happy for you!!! This is just the start of many birdsongs for you...Dzintra♥x

Maria said...

How wonderful that you can hear the birds and even your favorite TV show. We often take things like hearing for granted.

Judy S. said...

So glad you can hear the birds again, Micki. That must have given your spirits a real boost. Your post is a good reminder to be thankful for both hearing and sight. Too often we take things for granted until it's too late... Hugs! Sounds like you're on the mend, and I sure am glad.

marina said...

How wonderful Micki! I suppose we take for granted all the things we hear.

Clara said...

Happy to read you're going better with your new appareil. Do you know if this new kind is suitable also for peacemaker's holder? I mean: my father is almost no more able to hear a conversation, so this is frustrating for him. The cause is diabetes, but he also has a peacemaker to make his heart work. A earing aid would be the solution, but he cannot wear the traditional one 'cause of the peacemaker. Have a nice weekend and enjoy all the sounds in your life. Hugs, Clara.

Unknown said...

hearing is such a wonderful thing and I am so happy for you!