Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Last Two Days

I have been sick for the last two days. As a result of having had the shingles, I got a massive infection in the head area, predominantly at the ear area and the gland behind it and in the gland in the neck area. Because of the swelling, I was in tremendous pain from 3 AM in the morning till I could see the doctor later in the morning around 10 AM. She gave me two antibiotics that luckily kicked in within an hour and the pain had subsided a bit. I went from a level 10 pain to a 5 , and even though it was still hurting, I was grateful with that degree of the pain...it is all relative I guess. She is seeing me again tomorrow to decide if I have to go into the hospital so that I can be put on an IV, as that is much more effective than taking pills. I have had 102 temperature, had flu like symptons such as aches and chills, and don't ask me how I feel. My pain is a bit better, so I am relieved with that. I am crossing my fingers that the doctor will decide not to send me to Letterkenny Hospital. I have really lost my strength, so I won't be able to visit the blogs, nor post for a few days until I feel better. I have to get all of this resolved. I can tell you that shingles do have terrible after effects, and it isn't an easy thing to go through.

Off to read a good book...helps me to keep my mind off of all of this. I got the latest James Patterson book called I, Alex Cross, and it is very good. When I finish that, I have a triology of books to begin which is the Millenium Trilogy, and the first book of that series is called
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The trilogy was written by Stieg Larsson. It is supposed to be an incredible thriller, so I have all of that to look forward to. Hopefully, all of this will be over soon.

49 comments:

jane p said...

Micki, hope you get well soon.

Rafael's Mum said...

Poor Micki... that is awfull! You have a great set of books to help you through though... I have read the Millenium trilogy and I could not put it down! So just the thing! I hope the antibiotics help and you can sick it out at home. All the best, get well soon.

Miriam said...

I hope those antibiotics keep working and you have your health back soon.

Take care, Micki.

Maria said...

Hope you get better soon Micki. I know how painful ear problems are as I am still getting over a severe ear infection and burst eardrum.More than 6 weeks now.

Snuggle up.Keep warm and read your book.
Hugz
Maria

Marie said...

Oh my sweet friend, take care and do just what they tell you!! YOUr in my prayers. I too suffer from shingles from time to tome through the years, nasty and painful. Hugs , Marie

Anonymous said...

Micki, I do hope that you are well soon. It is a really nasty thing to have.

Nat Palaskas said...

Micki, I hope you feel better soon. Take a lot of rest - will be thinking of you - Hugs Nat

Gene Black said...

Get better.

no need to reply!!!! save your strength for healing.

cottonreel said...

Get well soon --cottonreel

Colleen's Blog Long Island NY said...

Get well soon Micki.

Unknown said...

Oh Micki, you have my sympathy! I knew someone who had shingles, not much to say about it except it was very painful and lasted for ages it seems.
Find Harlen Cobin novels, great reads. I've had trouble getting into the Larrson trilogy....maybe try it again.
Get healthy girl...it's summer.

The Old White Barn said...

So sorry you're feeling badly. It sounds miserable.

Hope you get back your spark soon - we miss you!

Best wishes,
Susan

Liz said...

Stay well and let Joe look after you, lots of rest and love will help.....
See you back here when you feel well again..
Lizzie
xxx

scraphappy said...

So sorry to hear you are feeling badly again. I hope the antibiotics will do the trick without having to go into the hospital.

esquiltingpassion said...

Micki,
Hope you get better soon. I have had infections where I had to be put on IV therapy. No fun. I wish well soon.
Elaine

andsewon said...

Oh my well bless your heart Micki. I do hope the pills work. My brother had a terrible time with shingles for well over a year. Just horrid.Yes rest and we wish you well soon again.
Hugs,
Lola

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Take care Micki...BIG HUG, Dzintra♥x

Unknown said...

Oh Micki~
I hope you feel better soon! If you have to go to the hospital no worries~ IV meds work fast and you can bring your books~
I will be thinking of you!
♥E

Sue said...

Poor you! I'm sending Reiki across the world to you.

Jocelyn said...

Micki, I hope you will be feeling better very soon. Take care.

Needled Mom said...

I hope you feel better soon, Micki.

Stephanie Hughes said...

OHHH, I am so sorry you are sick. I hope you feel better. Hope the had a good birthday and the bad feelings didn't come til it was over. Get better soon! Steph

Rosa-Munda said...

Sending you my best wishes for a speedy recovery. Ros x

SewCalGal said...

Hope you feel better soon!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

SheilaC said...

Feel better!!

SheilaC

Anne Sans Tete said...

I hope you get well soon!

- Lisa N.

Betty said...

Hi Micki,

I hope you feel better soon. I worked with a woman that had that.

Willow

Anonymous said...

Micki, I'll be thinking of you and hope you are feeling better very soon. Take Care, Meagan

Cattinka said...

Hope you feel better soon!
KATRIN W.

Joy said...

Oh Micki you poor thing, you've had such a rough trot with your health lately. Take time for you and get better, we'll still be here when you get back :o).
Take care .....
hugs,
Joy :o)

Daffycat said...

Feel better quickly Micki! *hugs*

Pat said...

I'm so sorry the shingles continue to plague you....and I hope this will be the last bout of illness you have from it. Just take care and don't worry about any of us in Blogland...we will still be here when you are well and can get back online.

ceecee said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this painful illness, Micki. I wish you a speedy recovery. Get lots of rest.

Catherine

Nancy M. said...

I'm so sorry that you're not feeling good! I'm glad that the medicine made you feel a little better, but I hope you'll feel lots better soon!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Oh Micki, it does not seem like it's been all that long since you've recovered from your last flare up. I know you're in good hands with Joe. Get plenty of rest and take care of yourself.

Janet said...

Just want to let you know you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Get Well Soon!!! A hug for you...

Browndirtcottage said...

Oh girl....much...much sympathies to you!!! FIL had them 8 months ago and I remember my grandfather having them....oh...soooo painful! I hope you got to the doctor soon enough that your's will be mild!!
Here's to a speedy recovery...oh girl...I am sooo sorry!!!

Barb said...

I sure hope you get to feeling better. You have me worried....I have not been able to read alot of blogs lately....do get better.

nutmegg said...

Oh Micki, how awful for you.....I hope you recover soon and with Joe with you I'm sure you will....love and hugs for a speedy recovery....xoxoxoxo

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Oh my Dear, I am so sorry. That you are still suffering consequences of the shingles. -sighhhhhhhhhhhhh-

Take it easy. Concentrate on nothing but getting better.

Gentle hugs...

Barb said...

Micki, I am so sorry to hear this and hope you feel better soon. Sending you my prayers.

Hugs, Barb ♥

Villa-loredana said...

Dear Micki, at first as a little beat late Happy birthday, and verry sorry to read now that youa are ill, hope that you will be soon better, I have read all the post, nice that you have been cold by Embassy, I'll come back tomorrow to see how is going with you. Just to say that I'm retired from 22. of June. Sincerelly with love. Loredana.

Maggey and Jim said...

Oh, Micki, I have not been online due to my virus protection program quit and I had lots to do. I am so sorry to hear about your being sick? How dreadful and I can't even imagine the pain? I will keep you in my prayers and hope you get better real soon..
Hugs
Maggey

Lois said...

Hi micki.. what an awful ordeal you have been through... i hope you are feeling some what better...shingles are so very painful i know..hopefully the antibiotics are by now helping you. Take Care

Searchfamilies said...

Hope that you soon be fully recovered it no fun being ill
Hugs Janice

Pamela Kieffer said...

Micki, I just finished reading "The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo". Loved it and can hardly wait for number two.
I had a mild case of shingles so you have my sympathy and hope you get well soon.

Becky said...

Micki,
Take care of yourself! Take it slow! Reading and napping are perfect for helping you regain your strength. Sorry to hear that you have been suffering and in pain. Take care, dear friend!

Unknown said...

I am glad you are starting to recover...take it slow!!!

Kim said...

I am a new follower.