Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Brown Bag Quilt Fabric


Cheryl from Scotsdale, Arizona sent me her ugly fabric for the brown bag quilt. I myself don't see it as ugly, but I lucked out for sure. The rules state that we must use 90 percent of the fabric, take the rest from our stash and then only buy one new fabric.
My fabric is on its way to her.
The light print fabric that you see in the pic, I am using for the backing. The various reds and pinks, I am using for the points of the stars, and that lighter pink you see in one of the fabrics will be the centre of the star, and that will come from my stash. Some of them remind me of Civil War type fabric...some of them definitely don't. The first one on the right I am using for the borders or I may use the darker pattern fabric...we shall see. I already cut out the fabric that I will be using for the paper piecing .I picked out a pattern from Carol Doak's book called Simply Sensational 9 Patch Stars, which I just love to do. It will be a 40x40 quilt, but I will leave it as a surprise as to what it will look like.
I am using one of my fabrics from my stash as the background to the flowers and stars that I will be making, and I am using a really pretty lighter green. I am buying a yellow Bella solid fabric from Fat Quarter shop to use for the flowers, and you have a pic to see what it is.
This should be interesting...I don't know how it will turn out, as I would have used bright colored batiks, but this is definitely different from what I usually make....I guess that will be the fun of it.
I know some of you wanted to see the fabrics, so here they are. Again, they are not really ugly... I just wouldn't have put some of them together nor used them for a quilt, so cross your fingers for me.
As to my leg injury, I am wearing the leg brace and will do so until I see the surgeon on the 18th of October. I am just hoping the ligament tear is healing, and I won't need surgery. I am off to therapy tomorrow. I will be going to Falcarragh for the therapy till I see the surgeon, and then he will make his decision. Hopefully, I will just need more physiotherapy. I know when I do take my brace off the odd time, my leg is weak, but that is understandable considering I am wearing a brace all the time, even to bed. I just don't want to take a chance that it will lock again.

15 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I can't wait to see what fabulous creation you make with the "ugly" fabric.

Yes, I'll bet the leg feels weak when you take the brace off. I can hardly wait to see wht the appointment on the 18th brings.

Orcsmom said...

I too can't wait to see the finished quilt. I wish you speedy recovery on the leg. Not a fun injury that is for sure. Take care, my friend! Hugs!!

Pam

marina said...

How sad, I don't think those fabrics are ugly at all. They look a little christmassy to me. Will love to see how you put them together

KQ Sue said...

OK, where is the ugly???
Sit still, prop your leg up and sew, sew, sew! Oh yes, avoid donkeys! Feel better soon!

Maggey and Jim said...

Micki, not that I don't have faith in ya, but lots of Irish luck with that one.. hehehehe. You can create a silk purse out of a sow's ear??/
Hugs,
Maggey

Gene Black said...

I think that fabric is nice. Not my bright style....but still I would have used it. Ha ha. I think you got some good stuff to work with.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I think you have some good fabric to work with and I like the plan you've laid out. It will be fun to see the final quilt.

The Homespun Loft said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Homespun Loft said...

Hi- I am your newest follower-Please come by my blog and follow too. I love reading all on your blog.

Mystica said...

You will turn out some awesome creation out of absolutely nothing.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Looking forward to see how it all turns out Micki!!! Hope all goes well for the 18th for you...Dzintra♥x

quiltmom anna said...

Those look like pretty nice fabrics for Uglies Micki- I bet it is going to be a terrific quilt. It would be a fun way to get different fabrics than one would usually choose.

Hope the leg continues to mend nicely- it sounds like you are doing all the things the doctor has asked- Hope the leg continues to gain strength and improve.
Warmest regards,
Anna

JJ said...

Looks like fun and sounds like you have your quilt planned out and ready to go.
Sorry about the leg hope it gets better soon.

Shelly said...

"Ugly" as Cheryl considers those fabrics, they're not difficult to match up. Hope your knee is all well again very soon.

Simone de Klerk said...

I must say, those would be my 'ugly' fabric from my stash too. The yellow will brighten it all up.
Have fun!
I really wish for you your recovery would go faster. Take care!
Have a lovely weekend. xo