Saturday, February 19, 2011

Another Good Hepburn Story and I was Sister Luke Once

I should write a book about my teaching, and maybe I will one day. I traveled around the United States and even abroad, and I had some wonderful experiences. It was always funny when I did an interview for a new teaching position, as the first thing that they said was, "Boy, you have taught in a lot of places!" I always felt that it made me a better teacher with lots of interesting stories to tell my students, but I have to admit that all my travels always created a reaction. LOL
I was thinking of Audrey Hepburn again this morning and all the influence she has had on my life. I had watched the Nun's Story, which I adored, and needless to say, I wanted to be Sister Luke and travel to Africa like Audrey did. Well, I landed up taking a job at St. Gabriel Hall in PA instead and funny enough there became Sister Luke. I took that job because of Audrey Hepburn, as she always in her personal life tried to help people, and I landed up mostly teaching troubled children over my teaching career. Anyways, St. Gabriel was a school for boys who had been adjudicated ungovernable by the juvenile courts, and this was their last chance to make it before they went to adult prison. I was good at working with what they called "bad" students, and I got the job. It turned out being one of my best jobs, as I loved working with the kids and especially with the priests and the nuns there. I told them once that I always wanted to be Sister Luke, and one of the priests who loved me said that you have such a gift with the children, you really should have been a nun, so he officially dubbed me Sister Luke and gave me a habit, which I landed up wearing two weeks a year each year that I was there. It was funny to see the childrens' reactions when I put on the habit and it was the standing joke there, but I was truly called Sister Luke by one and all. During the two weeks of the year, I wore the habit, I had so much fun seeing the students' faces, as they were never quite sure if I was a nun or not. When I decided to leave St. Gabriel, because I just couldn't make it on the salary that they were paying me, as I was a single mom with no child support,it was so hard to say goodbye to them all! My habit was hung up on a hanger and they said that I would always be Sister Luke. I will never forget that each morning, that priest, who had given me my habit, came to my classroom and blessed me and thanked me for all that I was doing for the children. I so missed them all, because in the public schools, the administration surely didn't do that. I wish that I could have stayed!!!!
Audrey Hepburn really did have a great influence in my life. I landed up taking most of my teaching positions with really difficult students , and I loved every minute that I taught them. I was so inspired by her personal life and all that she did for children in Africa, so this was my way of helping children.
I will tell you another great story tomorrow about my teaching experiences. This story also means a lot to me, and you will love it. It's a bit of a tear jerker, but quite the story.
Have a blessed weekend! This is Sister Luke signing off for a short while.


29 comments:

Di said...

I'm totally not surprised to hear that you were such a hit with those young people, Micki. Your blog posts reveal your deeply caring nature, and I'm sure there are men (now somewhat older somewhere enthusiastically telling the story of their "Sister Luke" experience too!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

MICKI!!!! First of all, thank you for your dear visit! I NEVER HAVE DIED MY HAIR AND NEVER WILL...and dearest, you had those two ailments upon your pretty head? I have had shingles, and that alone is a challenge to bear....but yes, DIGNITY, THE LOVE OF GOD and determination will always grace our countenance to make us YOUNG AT HEART!....NOW, this luscious post of yours. I so adore this movie. Of course, I own almost every Hepburn movie, and not just because of her charm and grace and super fashion, but her character. She reminded me much of my mother, who had a quiet spirit and lovely face. But what I so love is what you describe here, the willingness to help and reach out and go beyond the perimeters...and your teaching career is most interesting dearest. I have only been teaching 8 years. I started at the age of 45, and I have been teaching in the same wealthy community. I love it, but teaching in ANY community is an outreach to the SOUL, no matter what the FACADE may be. What a profession. Tiring and especially with the cuts in resources, even more fatiguing. But thank you for the insight into your world, your expertise and most of all, kindness and dedication! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR VISITING ME DEAREST!!! Anita

Jackie's Stitches said...

I would have loved having a teacher like you Micki! You have such a sweet, kind, loving spirit that I'm sure all the kids you taught were able to see. I often think that those difficult kids are just missing someone who really loves them and cares about them.

Gloria said...

Oh, Micki, this post misted my eyes. Thanks for the pictures you painted with words.

Gene Black said...

Micki, that explains a lot of why I liked you immediately. You are a true teacher with a love for people.

I have not seen this movie but it is going on my must see list today. As a matter of fact, I just put it on top of my Netflix queue.

Nedra said...

I have a daughter who also loves Audrey Hepburn. In fact, she has dressed as A.H. for Halloween.

Barb said...

Enjoyed your story.....

You certainly have had some amazing experiences, thanks for sharing.

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Micki! I have never seen "The Nun's Story", but I suddenly feel in the mood to watch "Sister Act"! What a great post today!.. Have a great weekend! ~tina

Frances Leate said...

What a lovely story Micki and I too like Audrey Hepburn and really enjoyed her in the "Nuns Story". Take care.

Terrie Sandelin said...

Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful stories. It's just such a pleasure to get to know you better!

Unknown said...

Ah Micki, I too loved The Nun's Story and wanted to be a nun after I saw it. That never happened but I always loved the movie. I do think you should write a book - I'd buy it!

Ellen said...

Thank you for your inspiring story. You are a gifted story teller. I grew up loving Audrey myself. I must watch Nun's Story again...

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Oh Sister Luke, biographies are my most favorite books, posts, articles to read. I will sit on pins waiting for your next post.

I love the experience you had...love to hear about it....think about it....and know about it....so here I am....waiting....begging for more.

Smiles,
Kelly

Needled Mom said...

I loved this great story, Micki. Somehow I can just see you in that roll.

Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

hi micki,

i believe i have something of yours on my blog :)

congrats!

:) mary ann

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

what a nice story...

Wacky Woman said...

Oh what a great blog. Thanks for sharing with us. We all love to read these snippets of your life.

Just Ramblin' said...

I have loved reading about You and Audrey Hepburn! I loved her also and think I saw just about every movie she made. I always thought she was the epitome of a genteel woman. There was such a grace about her. What a wonderful story you just shared and I think there are many out there who are grateful for you as a teacher. I'm sure you changed and touched many lives for good. Nola

Patricia Lessell said...

What a lovely story. thank you so much for sharing.
Lots of Love
Patti xxx

Merilyn said...

Lovely story Micki!!!

KatieQ said...

I have an older sister who was in the convent for 16 years. As a result, when I was growing up, my mother took me to see every movie that had nuns in it.

We went to see The Nun's Story at Radio City Music Hall. That was in the days when they featured a block buster movie and a stage show.

How did you decide to dress in a habit for 2 weeks a year. Was there a special significance to the dates?

I can't wait until tomorrow for the next installment of the story.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Thanks for the great story Sister Luke! So funny that the priest gave you the habit!
I went to a school with nuns for eight years and we could have used a teacher like you Micki!

pat said...

hi there micki, you've won my blog giveaway! your email link doesn't seem to work so please contact me at:
patk860@gmail.com
with your address.

http://imagesofaphotogallery.blogspot.com/

pat

Villa-loredana said...

Hello dear, thanks for sharing this movies from my younger ages. Having a blog help me to remember all the nice days from studing for a teacher, and later working as a librarian. Have a nice Sunday. Loredana.

Elsina said...

What a wonderful story! I would have loved having you as my teacher :) As for Sister Luke, I saw it when I was little and said I wanted to become a nun as well...and my mom whispered..but we are not catholics dear...LOL I thought she had totally missed the point :)

Shelly said...

I'm so impressed with your story. Look forward to your book!^^

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

What wonderful stories about your teaching - so exciting that you got to travel - and help so many!

health quotes. said...

I started at the age of 45, and I have been teaching in the same wealthy community. I love it, but teaching in ANY community is an outreach to the SOUL, no matter what the FACADE may be. What a profession. Tiring and especially with the cuts in resources, even more fatiguing. But thank you for the insight into your world, your expertise and most of all, kindness and dedication! THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Pam Nixon said...

Love your pin cushion.
And I'm glad you received your
Vagabon. It looks like a lot of fun, I checked out Tim Holts video's.
And I loved your story of Sister Luke, what a wonderful life you have had.
You need to write a book.