Monday, January 19, 2009

A Violent Storm and Inspiration For "Sunset Sails"


We had a terrible storm here in Ireland. The winds were gale force, and there was heavy and persistent rain and very icy conditions. We were watching tv, and I was knitting my cabled bag, when we heard a crash. It was our new garden shed, and it had fallen on its side. I couldn't believe it! We had our dryer in there also, for goodness sakes. The conditions made it impossible for Joe to do anything at the time, and so he said very calmly , "It isn't going anywhere." The next day, Joe took everything out of it, and got it up all by himself. I don't know how he did that , but I am beginning to think that I am married to the Incredible Hulk. It got a bit damaged, but
luckily it was only a decorative item. He then put two really heavy cement slabs into the shed....again I don't know how he got them into the shed as they were quite heavy... but wonders never ceased. Joe said that he did it by " brute force and ignorance".Well, all is well that ends well. I found out that my husband has incredible physical strength when it is called for, although I have seen his inner strength many a time. We are back to our cold, freezing winter weather, but hopefully, the high winds will not occur again. That is what happens, I guess, when you live by the sea way up north in the Northwest Passage of Donegal County.

Well, I got inspired to make a pic of the sea here. It is what the two of us love the best, and our walks on the beach together are priceless; however, the sea can, as you can see, get really angry here. So I took my Babylock EMB12, lots of wonderful colourful wool, and machine felted a landscape of the sea. This AM, I finished it, and Joe dubbed it "Sunset Sails".

It was an eventful weekend here in Dunfanaghy, but at least I got inspired.

6 comments:

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

This is lovely Micki...gorgeous colours...Dzintra xx

Maggi said...

Beautiful evocative piece Micki. Glad that the storms didn't cause you any major damage. What a superman!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I love it.
We had to tie our shed down because it kept blowing over too. Joe twisted some of those metal screw like things they sell to screw in the ground for attaching an animal to and then the took strong rope and ran it over the shed roof to the other side.
Stay safe up there

Dionne said...

Your work is beautiful! I am glad to hear you are both safe and sound now and the weather is behaving itself! I'm glad to have found your blog!
Cheers,
Dionne

Maggey and Jim said...

Hello Micki,
We too have been having some unbelievable cold.. Not those winds tho', they scare me. I love your felted seascape, gorgeous... Stay safe and have an UNEVENTFUL week. Except in the creation dept. Let the colors flow...
Hugs
Maggey

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Glad the storms are over. Your pictures of the sea is lovely.