Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Saga of the Sock, An Angel Gift, The Streets of Ireland Quilt, and An Amazing Postcard

Should I begin with the bad news or the good news? I think the bad news is better, as you end on a good note. First the bad news....I finished the sock right up to the end of the toe, where I was just down to closing it up with the Kitchener's Stitch. Well, I found a local knit shop, which I was thrilled with and I decided to go this morning.As I only had to close up the sock at the toe, I scheduled to go over there, as I needed supplies too. I arrived at lunch time. The lady who owned the shop, named Mary,( and it was a pretty big shop) said we could have coffee out in the mall before we began. She said to leave our knitting bags in the shop, and we were off. I took my wallet, and we had a really nice lunch. When we got back....here comes the bad news....my knitting bag was not there. It seems that someone took it. I started to cry....I was that upset. Mary was feeling so bad that she gave me a new bag, even though I said that it was not necessary, as I was not upset over that, but that someone had my sock. Well, I got the supplies that I needed and headed home. I began a new sock....what else could I do? Anyways, that is the bad news. It would have taken me a few minutes only to close up the toe, and I was kicking myself that I went to the shop at all.

The good news....I got another angel gift, which was a fabric postcard and two flower charms. That made me feel a bit better. I also am working on The Streets of Ireland quilt. I have to cut out a few more applique pieces and then get them situated on the quilt, except for a few which go into the borders, so they go on last. I will take a pic as soon as I get them all on, and have the borders sewn. There will be alot of work doing the stitching around all the pieces. It is going to be a huge wallhanging. I had to stop at the quilt shop to get more Steam-A-Seam Lite as I never dreamed it was this large. Anyways, I got luscious fabrics for the quilt.

Finally, I got a wonderful postcard from my friend Marlene who is in Vietnam for a holiday. As you can see from the pic, it is an old street in Hanoi. She said that the streets were full of motorbikes, bicycles, and carts going in all directions, and that no one seemed to be following rules at all. She said that she found a quilt shop, and she bought a quilt to support the poor rural women. I can't wait to see that quilt! Then she also met women of minority tribes, who lived near the Chinese Border, who were doing amazing hand embroidery work after dyeing their own fabrics.What an amazing trip that is!

We are off to Letterkenny to get some supplies for the painting that we need to still do. We have two larger rooms to do, and need that special roller that helps you paint around the edging, so you won't hit the ceiling.

Have a great weekend!

37 comments:

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Oh Micki...I can't believe what happened...I'm so sorry to hear of this. I can understand just how you would feel losing that sock too!!! And so nice to hear that your Angel gift helped to cheer you up...An extra bigh HUG, Dzintra♥x

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

That is such a sad 'sock' story, after how hard you worked to make the sock! Too bad the person that took your bag, wouldn't have left the sock.
Oh well, just think of the knitting practise you will get :)
Have a great day.

Mrs Quilty said...

Oh Micki, that must have been so frustrating!! All that work on the sock and then it's gone. How dumb...the person who stole it probably doesn't even know how to knit! I'm so sorry!!! I'm glad that the angel gift came to cheer you up a little!! I can't wait to see pics of your Streets Of Ireland Quilt! I bet it's amazing! And that fabric postcard, WOW! I've never tried one of those!! I hope you have a better day! By the time you finish another sock, you'll be a real expert!!

Loralynn said...

I just don't understand how people can do something like that! I'm so sorry you lost your sock and bag. Good luck with your paining!

Judy S. said...

Gosh, Micki, what a sad story! Whatever will someone do with an almost finished sock; I'll bet they hoped to find your wallet in there and am sure glad you at least didn't lose it! Is your leg on the mend? I surely hope so. Was glad to read that the rest of your day went better. Have a good weekend! And big hugs to you.

Colleen said...

Micki, I think the stitch for the toe is call a Kitcheners stitch. You were close. I am making a pair of socks from some wool which has soy in it. I learned to knit from my Irish grandmother who was always knitting socks or mittens. I feel really bad about your bag. You put so much work into that sock. Maybe the person who took it will bring it back. One can only hope

Daffycat said...

How freakin' low do you have to be to steal someone else's knitting? ***hugs***

Abby and Stephanie said...

Some people will take anything! Let's hope it was picked up by mistake and will be returned.

Ivory Spring said...

Oh, I am sooooo sorry to hear of the loss of your sock! You worked so hard for it. *hugs*

Jocelyn said...

Oh my goodness Micki, how terribly disappointing! Do you think someone picked up the bag by mistake? After all that work :-(

barb's creations said...

Sorry about loosing your sock when you were so close to completeing it.I hope whoever it was accidentally grabbed your bag with theirs and will return it to the shop you left it in.Glad to hear your day at least ended better for you :) Barb.

nutmegg said...

Oh Micki,there are some low people around....so sorry that this has happened to you especially with the work that goes into knitting a sock.

Julia said...

Oh Micki...how awful,I can't believe what happened...how could that person do that!!

I've just finished Dh socks, so I know how much work goes into knitting even one..I hope it get returned.
Hugs Julia ♥

Anonymous said...

Good evening Micky, How terrible that happened to you. I would be so upset if I was almost finished with a project and someone took it or I somehow lost it.I can't wait to see the quilt your working one. It sounds awesome! I hope things go better from now on for you.

Nedra said...

If you hadn't traveled from here to there and back again to learn how to make the sock, it wouldn't sound as sad. But, knowing the story of pulled hamstring, trips to Dublin and your learning process, makes it EXTRA hard.

Liz said...

Oh Micki, how could someone do that, I can't imagine why someone would want to take anothers craft
:o( Good job that you had taken your purse out of the bag. Glad that you had some good news to help restore your faith in your fellow crafters.
Big hugs,
Lizzie
XXX

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

Oh Micki I'm so sorry that happened to you!!! Why do people feel the need to take something that is not theirs!!!
Hugs for you today,
dawn

retdairyqueen said...

Its a pretty sad state of affairs when people are so desperate that they have to steal from others
Glad your angel gift cheered you up
Hugs

fabricartist21 said...

Micki when you told your story the first thing that came to my mind was just what kind of person would do this thing. I am so sorry as I know this sock was such a good thing you were learning to turn the heel. Mow go through the town and look for the one legged person and the will be the culprit. What are they going to do with 1 unfinished sock. Glad you fane friends that can help you and I guess it isn't the end of the world. I don't know what time it is in Ireland but tomorrow this giveaway is over;Silverthimblestalk you are lucky so you just might win.

fabricartist21 said...

Forgot to tell you Micki that there is a really nice giveaway from my friend on;http://fabricsnquilts.blogspot.com

SewCalGal said...

I'm never sure on which to deliver first. Good news or bad news.

I'm truly sorry about your bad news. Pretty sad when someone needs to steel your knitting bag. But maybe it was someone who sees how talented you are and they can't afford your supplies. While I believe you'd have given it to them if they had asked, and there is no excuse for stealing, I'd rather think the thief is really needy. But shame on them either way!

On the good news front, I'm very happy. You are a jewel and certainly deserve receiving oodles of treasures!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

marina said...

Oh no not the sock!

Vicki ♥ said...

How low can some people be eh? That is terrible that they stole your bag with your sock. Unbelievable!! I hope making another one wont be too stressful for you and I know you wont be leaving your bag again while you go and have coffee. Hugs Vicki

Chris H said...

I have a bad sense of humour... my apologies for offending you Micki.

Searchfamilies said...

So sorry to hear of the loss of your bag, could someone have picked it up by mistake & when they get home realise hope you left you name & number with the shop.
I am sure that you will have more socks done soon, at least you had something to cheer you up with the angel gift
Hugs Janice

Simone de Klerk said...

I can't believe it Micki, that they stole your bag with the sock you were so proud of. You hear this more and more. No good development. I am sorry for you and glad the lady gave you new yarn. Now you have to start all over again. I feel bad for you.
Glad you have good news too. As I said before, I love the way your angel partner sends you her presents in steps. Glad it made you happy, just like the card your received from you friend.
And thank you for the lovelyfree motion link. Incredible those video's. Happy hugs for you my dear friend! xo

Nat Palaskas said...

Micki, I can't imagine the worst news! I hope that someone took it by mistake and will return to the shop. Did you give her a number to call you? I have sock story to tell and it might cheer you up. I knitted sock, yes one sock with the helped of my colleague. She is no longer working there and I found my sock and want to make the another to go with it, but I can't remember how to do it. HELP!!! Hugs Nat

Miriam said...

It would have been such a shock to find your knitting bag gone. I hope there was nothing else in there with the almost finished sock. Maybe someone picked it up by mistake and will return it to the shop.

Sounds like your angel made your day!:)
I can't wait to see a picture of your Streets of Ireland quilt.
I hope you found all the painting supplies you need.

Patty said...

Bummer Micki... what are they going to do with one sock? I just don't get theivery. So glad you have angels to helped you over the disappointment. You friend's trip to Vietnam sounds very interesting as does the Streets of Ireland Quilt. I can't wait to see pictures of that quit. Here's hoping that only good things come your way for a while.

Laurie said...

I'm so sorry! :( I hope it magically finds its way back to you!

Jackie's Stitches said...

I think that people who steal our handmade projects end up with a really bad streak of karma. I feel so bad for you, that sock was fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Micki - that's just socking!

There is a silver lining though - think of it this way. Someone thought they were stealing something worth stealing (which your sock was obviously). When they open the bag, they'll need to keep on knitting so that they have a pair!

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Micki! I am so sorry to hear about your bag and your sock. If we were closer, I'd be knocking on your kitchen door with an apple pie!.. I know it can be so discouraging to me that people can be so low.. but then you come hang out in "Blogland" for a spell, and your faith in people is renewed again!.. So many wonderful friends, doing wonderful things!.. I can't wait to see your Streets of Ireland quilt!! I have a quilt I should, in fact, be working on myself! Hope you're enjoying your weekend! ~tina

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Micki,
How frustrating to do all that work on your sock and lose it.
I noticed you have Moon River on your Playlist. I grew up listening to that song. I have the Andy Williams version on my Playlist. They don't make songs like that anymore.

Tammy said...

How awful!! I'm so sorry that your bag and sock were taken Micki.

I can't wait to see your next quilt!

Anonymous said...

It's terrible but now think of the wonderful secret life your sock is living! It could make for a fabulous story or poem! How is your leg feeling by the way?

Maggi said...

Oh Micki, and after all that work too. I am glad that you received something to cheer you up though.