Monday, March 8, 2010

Blackberry Jam Cafe


I just met a lovely lady named Susan, who funny enough lives in Texas, where I once lived and taught English. I was a teacher in the Houston Independent School District and lived in the Woodlands, and then taught at Del Valle High School, which was close to Austin. You Texans would all know about that. Anyways, Susan has a passion for Ireland, and I just visited her blog called Blackberry Jam Cafe, and I was enchanted with her posts about Ireland. If you read her latest post, she talks about traditional Irish cottages and thatched cottages. As you know, Joe and I do live in a cottage near Killahoey Beach, and yes, there are thatched cottages around our area. When I first married Joe years ago, I was enthralled with the thatched cottages and of course the castles around the country, as typically a blow-in is( a newcomer to Ireland). Funny enough, they even as a joke call Joe, who is from Dublin, a blow-in, as he is from a very large city, which happens to be the capital also. LOL Now, I am totally happy and content just to be in our Donegal County, and each and every day see its incredible beauty as I walk through its beautiful hills. When we return from shopping in Letterkenny, and the bus goes around the bend, we always see Portnablath first, and then we know we are almost home. Then looming in the distance is Horn Head, and we pass our Killahoey Beach, and we are so happy to be home. It gives us a wonderful feeling each time we see it all.





The first pic above is Portnablath, and then the second one is Horn Head as we see it from the bus. The third one is the tip of Horn Head that you see in the 2nd pic. We have walked to there and looked out on the ocean. We even continued around Horn Head and that was our 12 mile hike that day...never again.LOL Finally, the pic below is our village as seen from Horn Head. You can see why we love it so much ! Well, Susan, this is what you can see if you come and visit..a bit of Donegal County, our home.
Please do visit Susan's blog, and you will be part of her dream to visit Ireland. You can see how much she wants to see our fair island. I know that one day she will come and the only problem with that is she may not want to leave.LOL Go say hello to her....I know you will enjoy her blog.







26 comments:

Mystica said...

What a beautiful part of the world you do live in. What I love about your writing is that you seem so very contented.

Gene Black said...

I am with Susan, I want to visit Ireland. After all, it is my "other" homeland.

Pat said...

Oh, Mickey...I just LOVE the pictures!!! When we visited Ireland, we didn't get to your area.......although we did see some villages not far from the ocean (around Doolan...might not be spelling that correctly). That was the day we were to go to the Aran Islands but the boat operators were having difficulty with the boats in the extremely windy weather and rain, so we decided not to try it. I loved the thatched cottages and have pictures of some from our trip. Ireland is a very magical place!!!

Bia, from Brazil said...

I don´t ever travel just for the sightseeing. People make places worthwhile. You and your husband are a nice inblows to this place! It´s always been pretty and it´s better now.

Nedra said...

You truely do live in a most stunning place!

Maggey and Jim said...

You truly paint a beautiful picture of your home.. I am so pleased that you are happy there and know you would show anyone your wonderful Ireland.
Hugs,
Maggey

The Old White Barn said...

You have no idea how happy you've made me today. Imagine my surprise when I was scrolling down through the blogs on my reading list and I see Blackberry Jam Cafe! Then, I read such a lovely post about my passion for Ireland - from my new friends in Ireland! It doesn't get much better than that! Thank you for this post.

Your photos and writing make me even more excited to make this trip. What a lovely place to be - and you may be right, if I ever get there, I may not want to leave! You are living the dream!

Thank you again for your kind comments - and for connecting me to Ireland.
Susan

Kaye said...

OMG, I can't believe you lived and taught in The Woodlands. My youngest sister Peggy has lived there since about 15 years ago. She loves it. I went there to visit and must say she is right. Everything is right there in the Woodlands even a hospital. What a small world we live in. Your pictures are lovely, thanks for sharing them with us

Needled Mom said...

Your photo of your area are just gorgeous. I can see why you love it so much. Next week we will all be a bit Irish as we celebrate St. Patrick's day.

Colleen said...

Mickey, love your pictures. I have been to Ireland 4 times and have never been to your area. Would love o make another trip.

Kath said...

Your photos make me want to come back! I think we are due to visit the inlaws again soon.

Anonymous said...

We just made a trip to Ireland in Oct and had a wonderful time. I think the Irish are the friendliest people on the planet. Great photos by the way.
Mary

Greg said...

Those are nice pictures.. Makes me want to pack a bag and come visit.. Will definitely check out Susan's blog.

Barb said...

It is truly beautiful there, thanks for the pictures and history behind them. You are one lucky gal.

Kimberly said...

Hi Micki! found you thru Susan's blog! My husband wants to get to Ireland one day! He is Irish! Last name HIGGINS! have a great day!

veterankindergartenteacher said...

My nephews live in Spring Texas and attended Klein High School. Did you ever teach there?

I follow Susan's blog and learned about you through her. Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Such wonderful pictures Micki, fabulous landscape I can fully understand how you love it :)

SewCalGal said...

Micki...definitely proof we live in a small world.

Beautiful photos!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Nancy M. said...

It's so gorgeous! I'm sure I would want to stay. It seems like such a romantic place!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful blog, Thank you for letting us know about it.

You are so lucky to be living in Ireland. The pictures of it just takes my breath away.

Who knows maybe in a few years when Hubby retires we can finally visit Ireland.

Willow

Anonymous said...

Hey Micki, I've been trying to get ahold of you about the Neighborhood swap. I know we had trouble getting in touch with each other before. Get ahold of me.

Unknown said...

it is so beautiful there...lucky you! I love thatched cottages too...they are a thing of simple beauty....

Simone de Klerk said...

You live in a wonderful region! So different from Texas.

Colleen Barnett said...

There's no place like home. And your's looks lovely! Isn't it nice to be returning from a journey, and see those familiar sights that mean you're almost there? Aaah....

Unknown said...

Ah yes, Micki, we all want to visit Ireland, it's why it's one of the most visited places. Here in Canada there are amazing deals to fly this spring.
We are experiencing the most wonderful spring weather these days in the mid 50s for March is unheard of almost.
Your photos are making me yearn for this peaceful place.
I entered the Qua giveaway, but noted no place for Ireland or Canada. I'm hoping for your Irish Luck...

Diane said...

I visited Ireland seven years ago and completely fell in love, I didn't want to leave. Honestly I could see us living there. What a beautiful place!