Saturday, March 6, 2010

Celtic Wallhanging Top Completed


Well, I must be on the road to recovery...I am back to sewing. I finished a Celtic Wallhanging with the symbol of the Hawk on it. From what I understand, the hawk is the Celtic symbol for those born between November 25-December 23rd. Those people born under this sign normally go after what they want . They care deeply for wisdom, and often focus on sharing that knowledge with others. They can be very philanthropic and generous. Hawks have a keen sense of balance, and they navigate through life with an internal "true north" that creates an uncanny integrity within them. They are open minded and philosophical, and often very opinionated.

Anyways, I chose this pattern, as I liked the Celtic designs, and I loved the symbol of the hawk, which I think is an incredibly beautiful bird. I used hand dyed fabrics, which I thought were perfect...pinks, purples, and darker blue/purples, which are so pretty. I really enjoyed making the top, as I do love applique, and I will just have to put the layers together and machine quilt it. I did have a lot of fun!
Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend! Joe and I took a walk to Horn Head, and now we are at home resting. Enjoy your weekend!

40 comments:

Maggey and Jim said...

Yeah!!!!!!!! So glad you are back.. Don't ya just love it. Sewing I mean.. I am happy to hear that you are up to creating..
Hugs.
Maggey

Unknown said...

I love that Celtic hanging, I like to look at Celtic symbols.

Marie said...

Happy Day that your feeling so much better, have been looking forward to this post!! Hugs, Marie

Gene Black said...

I am so glad that you are feeling so much better.
The Celtic Hawk looks lovely. I adore the colors in it.

Beatriz said...

Beautiful - your work, the colors you´ve chosen, the symbol itself and the meaning.
Nice way to get back on the road again.

Unknown said...

Oh so beautiful...Very soothing the colors.
Smiles

Anonymous said...

It is just beautiful. My favorite color is purple. Great job.

Willow

andsewon said...

Well so nice to see and hear you're feeling better!
Out walking too!!
Such a neat piece.
We have hawks out here. Watch them as they watch the fields for things I can't see but they can! SWOOP and they got it!
Wishing you continuing better health.
Hugs,
Lola

Karen said...

I know nothing about Celtic symbols. Interesting!

Mary L. said...

Gorgeous wallhanging! My youngest son was born Dec 1 and parts of that description fit him but others not so much. At any rate it's a beautiful piece. Well done!

Tracey said...

Beautiful!! Glad you are feeling better. :)

Needled Mom said...

Sooo glad to read that you are feeling better. I'll bet it was the Cricut that took care of you!!!

Love the design and symbolism of the piece. The fabrics are really pretty.

Nedra said...

I'm glad to hear you are feeling well enough to be back at your walking with Joe.
The Celtic wall hanging is perfect for St. Patricks Day which is coming up soon.

Liz said...

Lovely wall hanging Micki, glad that you have your sewing mojo back, allmost back to tip top I hope.
Lizzie
xxx

Orcsmom said...

I love your wall hanging! I am embroidering different Celtic Knots. I collect Celtic Crosses and Knots. What is the pattern's name, I would love to make one for me, since my birthday is Dec. 3rd?

Hugs!

Pam

Judy S. said...

Glad you're feeling better, Micki. That looks like a tough project. Is there a way to turn off your new music? For a while both of them were playing, and I have a hard time posting, thanks to a slowish connectiong, with even one music thingie on. (I love music normally, just not when I want to post!)

Maggi said...

Beautiful colours Micki. Glad to see that you are back sewing.

Jackie McGuinness said...

This is gorgeous, Micki! Now I'm off to see what my Celtic symbol is LOL.

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Well...my birthday is Dec 22nd thank you for the insight. It's wonderful!!

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Micki Sweetie...
What a beautiful job you have done. The colors are so vibrant and alive. I love it. I am so thrilled that you are feeling a little better and able to concentrate on sewing and quilting again. Isn't God wonderful?

You continue to be in my prayers sweetie. Don't push yourself to hard.

Country hugs and so much love...Sherry

Pat said...

Sewing and walking....two sure signs that you ARE feeling better....hooray for that!!!

a good yarn said...

It's a very striking work Micki and I like the symbolism behind it. Quite powerful. Ann :-)

quiltmom anna said...

What a lovely piece Micki my birthday is very close to that date- November 22- The hawk is a very majestic looking bird and so is your piece. I have been writing report cards since 10:30 this morning and I am almost half done. Time to get back at it.
Glad to see you feeling much better.
Warmest regards,
Anna

The Old White Barn said...

Hello! Found you by way of Junk Boat Travel and I'm now following. Love your quilts - they're gorgeous! If you get a minute to stop by you'll find I'm a bit obsessed with all things Irish - it's a sad thing (I know all my followers are feeling my pain!). Glad I found you!
Susan

Mrs Quilty said...

So happy you are sewing again! That totally means you're almost well!! I love that Celtic hanging and the colors too!! Very very nice!!!!

Clara said...

Me too, I like celtic symbols even if I know just a few things about the, and think that those colors have an unbelievable impact. This sunday we have to pack some things, becouse we're going to move in the next months. Take care, Clara.

Barb said...

What a nice wall hanging...with a wonderful story to go with it.

Kath said...

Wonderful! So glad you are on the mend.XX

Kaaren said...

Simply gorgeous, Micki.

Glad you're feeling better.

Joanne Lendaro said...

Welcome back!! Your project looks wonderful, love the colors!

Maria said...

So pleased to read you are feeling better.
Very interesting about the celtic symbols.

Pat from Florida said...

I love the Celtic applique! I must give it a try some day. Too many projects, too few house.

Heckety said...

That is soooo beautiful- the colours you chose, and also the dark celtic knot as central contrast. A conversation stopper- better not hang it by the dining table!!

Joy said...

Stunning Micki, what gawjus colours!!!
So glad you're on the mend too, that's great news :o)!!
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Jackie's Stitches said...

Great finish! I'm glad to hear you're feeling much better.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better Micki, the wallhanging is gorgeous.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Hooray for sewing, which means you are on the road to recovery!!!!!!!

Loralynn said...

Fantastic job on your wall hanging! Glad you are feeling up to sewing again!

Unknown said...

isnt sewing great? If I cant do it, I miss it so much...thios quilt is beautiful...I love the colors you picked.....

Anonymous said...

Such a unique looking quilt top because of the colors you have picked... I would have expect green/white/black... but this is fabulous.