Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Bag Finally Finished Using the Folding Fabric Techniuqe

I finally finished my bag, and I will just say that although I enjoyed the whole process, it was a lot of work. Each block has to be folded, hand sewn to hold the folding in place, and then borders added on. Then I had to handsew each rose for the center of the fold in each block and sew it on. I added batting and the lining to the front and back. The lining I used was Michael Miller Fairy Frost in a beautiful yellow. Once I finished the front and the back of the bag (each had 6 folded blocks and roses), I then made a 5 inch horizontal strip of seven folded blocks ( which I also added batting and lined with the fairy frost), and I sewed the front and back of the bag to the strip to form the sides and bottom of the bag. The whole bag is comprised of 13 folded blocks. Then I had to make binding for the top seam of the bag and also for the inside seams of the bag, as I also wanted the inside to look pretty.I used yellow batik for the binding. I had a lot of hand sewing to do once the binding was sewn on for the outside and inside of the bag. I added a yellow pocket inside the bag and finished off by sewing on a yellow patterned batik shoulder strap...voila, a very unique bag.
I have fallen in love with the folding technique, so I ordered the book Fantastic Fabric Folding, which teaches you tons of folding techniques to create many different shapes such as folded stars, pinwheels, various flowers, kimonos and others, which you can then incorporate into 22 projects that the author gives you to try out. I can't wait to try it, as I am hooked.I love the dimension that it gives to whatever you are making!
We are off to Letterkenny for food shopping. Tomorrow, we head to Ard Forest, which is near our home. We will have lots of pics. We will be walking in the forest for 5 hours, and there is lots to see. I know you will enjoy the pics of our adventure.






22 comments:

Maria said...

Love your bag Micki. Great bright colours.

How nice to go walking in the forest, lucky you

Pat from Florida said...

What a special bag, Micki. Enjoy using it! Bet it'll get lots of compliments and gals wanting one.

Pat said...

Love your bag BUT I got tired just from READING all the work it took to make it!!! LOL

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Cool bag Micki...look forward to your pics of the forest...I love forests...Dzintra♥x

Jackie McGuinness said...

Great bag, Micki. I have no patience for this type of work. My mother loved to make quilts but I didn't inherit that from her.

Anonymous said...

Micki,

You outdid yourself! That bag is absolutely darling!!!!

Enjoy your hiking. I shall look forward to pictures.

Cattinka said...

Your bag is very pretty, all the hand work you put in it was well worth it.
KATRIN W.

SewCalGal said...

Aaah, but Micki, you make it look so easy. Your bag is beautiful. Enjoy!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Villa-loredana said...

The bag is really cool, from the colours. to your magic hands that create it. Loredana.

Maggi said...

What a lovely bag Micki. I look forward to seeing further projects.

Anonymous said...

Okay.. so now you've got me interested in fabric folding LOL
as if I don't already have enough on my plate
Enjoy your walk.. can't wait for the pic's.

scraphappy said...

Well, as pretty as those flowers are, it sounds like an awful lot of work. Having handwork is always nice, but maybe something less fussy. Still, you finished it off and so that is always a nice thing.

Barb said...

Hi Micki, your bag is lovely. I can't imagine the work you have in this. I'm sure it was a labor of love.

Thank you for your always sweet comments to me.

Barb ♥

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Micki! Oh my gosh, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your new bag!! A great deal of work, but it is beautiful, and well worth it, it seems! The book looks wonderful, just seeing the cover!.. Well enjoy the forest! I can't wait to see the pictures! Wish I could go.. I'd bring the marshmallows! ~tina

Maggey and Jim said...

Lovely, the colors really work well with your design.. Priceless.
Hugs and warm days.
Maggey

Nancy M. said...

It's Pretty! I love the colors!

Gene Black said...

Very pretty..but Wow..the work you put into it!

Miriam said...

Your bag looks very pretty, Micki.Well worth all the time you put into it.
That book looks really interesting.
Have fun in the forest. I am looking forward to your photos.

Mel said...

Beautiful!! Lovely colors!

Searchfamilies said...

What a lovely bag well done
Hugs Janice

Kerrie said...

I love this Fabric Folding method, I had never heard of it before. It is very beautiful. hugs, Kerrie

prashant said...

What a special bag,
post free classified ads