Monday, May 10, 2010

A Lovely Mother's Day and The Beginnings of a New Bag


If you remember, Greg, from Flat Out Quilting ,sent me a package of Plume Moda Charms. I decided to make a bag from them. Well, you were wondering , Greg, what I would do with them. I used one of Rami Kim's folding techniques, and in the middle of each block a little fold was created, which really gave it dimension. I then used another folding technique of hers to create a rose to put on each fold, and voila, a very unique front to the bag was created. I will be making a similar back to the bag, and will create smaller blocks for the sides and bottom of the bag. The Moda Charms were perfect and thanks so much Greg for that! I am ordering one more Moda Charm Plume pack from the Fat Quarter shop this week so I can finish it off. it is going to be a very cute bag.
Now, as to Mother's Day, hope that all of you mothers out there had a grand ol'time. This is my second Mother's Day celebration. We officially celebrate Mother's Day in March, so of course I celebrate it then, but since I was used to it in May, Joe said you might as well celebrate it a second time, so that is what I am doing. Joe took me out to dinner at An Chistin, which is one of our local restaurants, and then my two dogs got me two wonderful art books. One is a watercolour book by Cathy Johnson, and the other book is called Donegal At Its Best, which has tons of gorgeous pics of Donegal, which I can paint when my watercolours arrive. My dogs saved up and got me both of them...how sweet of them! I got a card from them also, so I did very well from my two boys. Being with Joe and eating out at the restaurant was the best part of the day, but I won't tell the two dogs that.LOL

We also fed CoCo the horse on the way home. He's a happy horse, and loves us and the carrots of course. Hope everyone had a lovely Mother's Day too!

35 comments:

Barb said...

What a great way to use your fat quarters.

Glad you had a second wonderful mothers day....

PatchCreationen said...

Hello from Bavaria. The fabrics from this bag are wonderful. I´d like to see the whole bag, please!!!
Greetings
Carola

Cobblestone Creations said...

You are just so creative! The bag will be a treasure for sure.

Nedra said...

Very creative Micki. It sounds like you had a wonderful Mother's Day too.

Judy S. said...

Cute idea! The folded roses almost look like silk ribbon embroidery. The folded piece my sister did a long time ago is a quilt blog, framed with an embroidery hoop. Coco is one lucky horse!

Betty said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time. Our Daughter brought the Grandkids over Saturday, because she had to work on Sunday. It was a wonderful day.

Willow

Anonymous said...

Your bag sounds like it will be wonderful. I hope you post pictures when your done and also of that horse :>) Happy Mother's Day ♥

Soggibottom said...

I love the bit about the horses, did you give them a kiss as I would have done. :-)
love from Amie Soto Blossom x x x x

Pat said...

What a fun look for that bag!!!

marina said...

Your bag is turning out great. It will be a very unique bag.
Sounds like a great mother's day.
cheers
Marina

Julia said...

Cute idea! Love the folded roses.
It will be a very unique bag.
Two Mpther's Day...what fun...I hope it was a lovely day!
Julia ♥

Nat Palaskas said...

It will be a nice and colorful bag. You never have enough bags Micki - Hugs Nat

Gene Black said...

I love the idea of using the charms that way. Great idea! You are doing great with the folding!

SewCalGal said...

Great post. I love the idea of having a 2nd Mother's Day to celebrate. What fun!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Maria said...

Love the bag. Looks great with the wee flowers.

Oh my the Charlie and Rufus did spoil you and then Joe taking you out for your dinner too. Maybe they saved for that too and gave Joe the money. LOL

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Micki! So glad to hear you had a nice Mother's Day!.. And TWO of them, for that matter! Talk about luck of the Irish! ~tina

Anonymous said...

Happy Mothers Day Micki, love your technique with the Beginnings of a New Bag.....Hugs Lyn

webbsway said...

Really neat Miki!

Your celebration of mother's day made me laugh because one year when my youngest son was to go trick or treating and the two towns we live between decided to celebrate Halloween on two different nights - SOOOOOO - of course we celebrated both nights! LOL I can definitely agree with you! :)

Cattinka said...

You can start counting coco as on of your children also, you have adopted him by heart already, haven´t you?
KATRIN W.

Searchfamilies said...

Great way to use the FQs & glad you had a good Mother's Day
Hugs Janice

Sue said...

I love your bag and the folding is terrific. How lucky you were to be spoiled by the fur-babies too.
Great post Micki

Miriam said...

I would really love to see some of your paintings of the Donegal pictures.
Sounds like you had a great day. :)

Maggey and Jim said...

Hello Micki,
Sounds like a wonderful day to me.. So glad you have them, I know they mean a lot and your walks are priceless..
Love,
Maggey

Carrie said...

I love the look of the folded fabric and flowers. Sounds like you had a wonderful Mother's Day. Do you walk into town? It sounds wonderful living there in Donegal!

Millie said...

Great tip and the bag will be lovely. Can't wait to see the finished bag.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Sounds like you had a grand Mother's Day Micki...and cool bag too...Dzintra♥x

a good yarn said...

The bag looks great. I really like the folded technique. Delighted that your Mothers Day was such a treat. You deserve it! Ann :-)

M. Regina said...

Hello from Brasil. I love your work. Hugs

Unknown said...

Lovely bag of course! You lead such a charmed life in Ireland!

Dena said...

Great way to use your charm packet. I love the folded effect in your blocks. Your bag will look lovely with these blocks.

ceecee said...

I love that your dogs gave you gifts. I always got gifts from my cat...really thoughtful ones. He had great taste.
Catherine

cottonreel said...

Hi , it,s cottonreel , nice of you to drop by my blog and leave a comment,
Lucky lady ! two mothers day celebrations

Judy said...

You are so creative and I can't wait to see the finished purse!

Anonymous said...

Hello Micki,

What a sweet post! I love the way you have used the fabrics.

It's nice to hear from you. It's been a busy week. I was just thinking to visit your blog, but you beat me first... :)

Have a wonderful weekend.

prashant said...

The fabrics from this bag are wonderful.
post free classified ads