Sunday, May 2, 2010

Santa Wallhanging Completd and Folded Fabric Fun


Yesterday,I finished my Santa Wallhanging, and I decided to make it a bit different by adding prairie edging in various red and green fabrics. Well, Christmas is 7 months away, but it will be fun hanging it up when the holiday arrives.Yesterday, I was also busy making Katrin a card, which I can't post till she gets it.

This morning, I was leisurely watching The Quilt Show, and found it very interesting as they had demonstrations on folding fabric and incorporating it into quilts, clothing, and home decor. I was trying the techniques while I was watching the show, and it was easy, and quite fun. Rami Kim who is from Korea wrote two books about it. One is called Folded Fabric Elegance and the other book is Quilted Elegance.

It does look interesting and I enjoyed trying the techniques with her, as I used to do origami with paper years ago..All her quilts and clothing were incredibly dimensional and beautiful. Here is a link to the books. Also, here is a tutorial from Moda Shop on how to make a folded star quilt...It is gorgeous!


Hope you are all relaxing and having a wonderful Sunday.

24 comments:

Gene Black said...

Micki, I saw that same show. I loved what she did, but now I have forgotten most of it. I may need to put that book on my wish list.

Maggi said...

I really like your prairie points around the hanging, they make it very individual. I saw the Rami Kim show too and her work is so beautiful.

scraphappy said...

Your wall hanging turned out so cute. How nice to have a Christmas project crossed off the list in May. The jacket reminds me of a cathedral windows quilt, but it looks so elegant with the fancy fabric.

Maggey and Jim said...

Hi Micki,
I like how you finished the Santa, really gives it pizaaz.. I am not with the quilt show anymore but I did like her work, awesome..Have a good Sunday.
Hugs
Maggey

Barb said...

Your wall hanging turned out wonderfully...

I have done a folded flower quilt, took me 15 hours just to iron and fold the flowers, 15 minutes a piece to tack them down tot he quilt top. I think there were 110 flowers, not sure. Was fun but took forever.

Jocelyn said...

Your Santa wallhanging sure turned out cute. Nice to have a Christmas project completed. If you have not had a chance, please stop by my blog and vote for my friend. Thanks and have a great weekend!

Maria said...

Your Santa wallhanging is lovely. I like the way you used prairie points around the edge.

Unknown said...

love the santa hanging

Cattinka said...

How nice the little Santa wallhanging turned out! I´m glad you used it so quickly, it really shows how much you like the fabric.
KATRIN W.

Karen said...

Prairie points can be very versatile in their use. You made good use of them in your project.

Soggibottom said...

7 whole months..... thanks Micki.
The edgeing gives a lift to your wall hanging. Now you have reminded me I have things for Christmas to do.
x x x

Kath said...

Never too early for Christmas! I like the pointy edges, very effective.

Pat said...

I have a whole book of folded fabric ideas for quilts....have to look at it again soon..never made anything from it yet. I love the prairie points, too. I am going to do them on a quilt someday.

Needled Mom said...

I love the origami techniques with fabric.

Your Santa wallhanging looks great and the prairie points are perfect.

Sue said...

You're an inspiration Micki. I love prarie points but have always been scared to do them. Maybe a little wall hanging just to try!
great idea.

Vicki H. said...

I really like Sanatas, I have a little collection of old world Santas. I keep them out sometimes. I saw a folded flower on Simply Quilts and I always wanted to make it. I think I need to see if it is still posted on their site.

Tara said...

Great Santa, it will be fun to pull it out again in December. I enjoyed reading your piece on Sherry in the previous post. She is such a sweetheart and always leaves the most generous and kind comments when she visits. I hope you have a terrific week Anushka!

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Cool wall hanging Micki...and love those prairie points...have never tried those...Dzintra♥x

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Colleen Barnett said...

Sorry, Micki, I signed in under the wrong email address! It's me, not Wayne!

I just added to everyone else and said that the folded fabric clothing is truely beautiful! :-)

Judy S. said...

You've sure been busy these past two weeks, Micki. I loved the story of your family journal; how great you preserved these precious photos and story....much better than sitting in a box for future generations to puzzle over! The folding technique is interesting, and I am wondering if it's making a comeback. I have an old piece done by my sister from years ago!

Betty said...

Your Santa is so cute, great job.

Willow

Anita said...

Hi Micki, oooo seeing Santa makes me all Christmasie again! Kind regards, Anita.

webbsway said...

Hi Mickie
I just LOVE your Santa wallhanging. I enjoyed getting lost in it. I adore Santa and as I was studying him my eyes went through your border enjoying the colors and the design. Nothing quiet like somebody else's "eye-candy" to admire and not have to do all that work! :)

Two years ago near Christmas I got to attend a ornament making party in memory of one of the fabric artists. If you made one for the shop then we could have one for home . They wanted to enter a Christmas tree contest at a local college . The gals who came were so much fun to meet and one of them had brought several Origami
ornaments that were just to die for. I had never seen anything like that before or since.

Thank you for sharing with all of us. Your work is so beautiful.