Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Special Birthday

My birthday was just perfect! When I got up, Joe gave me two cards: one from him and one from my two doggies. Then the phone rang...get ready to say...AHHHHHH.....Joe emailed the United States Embassy saying that I was a proud American from Philadelphia, who lost all of her family, and it would be great to get a call from someone from the embassy as I sometimes get homesick during special occasions like this. Well, guess who got a call from the American Embassy? Me, of course...The Director of Public Affairs in Dublin named Karen Posner-Mullen , who was given Joe's email, called me.The telephone rang and I was told by Joe that it was for me. Karen told me that I had a very special husband, and all about how he wrote the American Embassy and how the email got directed to her. She wished me a Happy Birthday and even sang me Happy Birthday. I almost started to cry....partly because she was so nice to have called and so sweet to me on the phone, but mostly because Joe had done such a special thing for me. Here is a link about her. Anyways, I found out that her parents were also from the holocaust and came from a town in Poland very close to where my mom was born. We talked a long while and we may meet this summer.Is that just incredible that Joe would do that for me?

Then, Joe took me to one of our local coffee shops, and we had coffee and a slice of cake. We then headed to Letterkenny where we had lunch at our favorite place called The Quiet Moment. We walked around the shops a bit, and then saw the movie Iron Man 2, which was wonderful.

Funny enough, I was telling Joe that I wanted to do some volunteer work in Letterkenny twice a week, and suddenly we saw a sign saying that they needed volunteers. I called the lady, and she was thrilled that I had experience as a teacher and a counsellor, so after telling her that I was an English teacher, reading specialist and worked as a counsellor mostly with abused and troubled children, she said, "Enjoy your summer, as starting in September, we will be keeping you busy." So, it looks as though I will be working as a voluntary counsellor twice a week starting in the beginning of September...Is that neat or what?

After we returned home, we then fed the horse, and stopped at the pub for drinks. It was just a perfect day, and I am truly very blessed to have such a wonderful soulmate.

Thanks to everyone who wished me a Happy Birthday, not only on my blog but also on Facebook...It was so nice of you all. I had to share all that happened to me today. Hoping everyone had a great day too! Turning 60 landed up being the business!

51 comments:

nutmegg said...

Hi Micki, a very belated "Happy Birthday" to you,you have a wonderful and thoughtful husband,what a nice thing he did for you to get the Embassy to give you a call on your B'day,as for doing volunteer work you will find that it is a very fulfilling thing to do. I volunteer at a local Vinnies (St.Vincent de Paul)store 2 days a week and I have made some wonderful friends there.

esquiltingpassion said...

Hi Micki,
Your birthday day sounds wonderful, you have a good and thoughtful man there. Is Joe from Ireland or the States?
Your volunteering with your skills will be most beneficial.
Thanks for sharing such a wonderful day.
Elaine

Needled Mom said...

It sounds like it was a positively fabulous day made extra special by your dear hubby.

Get ready for September!!!

Joy said...

Oh Micki what a sweet loving man you have in your Joe ... he's certainly one of a kind. Sounds like you had a perfect birthday ... so glad it turned out to be such a wonderful day for you :o).
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Liz said...

Definitely an Aaahh moment, brought tears to my eyes. That man is certainly a keeper Micki, just don't let him out of your site..hehe!
Glad that you had a wonderful birthday and I know that you will be a wonderful help to lots of people come September.
Lizzie
xxx

Anonymous said...

A very happy birthday Micki although it would seem that you have certainly had a very special one.

Jackie's Stitches said...

Oh Micki! Your Joe always delivers!!! What a special man - one you deserve very much. I think people in blog land (myself included) are tearing up as they read your post.

Nat Palaskas said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICKI, I'm so thrilled to read your birthday news. How wonderful that you got a call from the US embassy. I hope someone call me when I turn 60. Your day sounded lovely, I was walking along with you feeding the horse and had a guiness at the pub. Working as vorunteer will be great. I did that in the past and I loved it - Big hugs-Nat

Patty said...

Happy Birthday Micki, and many more just a special as this one was. :^)

VickyB said...

A little late from this part of the country, but that must have been the most memorable Birthday ever to date. Many Happy Returns.

scraphappy said...

Congratulations on your big day! Sounds like it was perfect in every way. Now, just hope the next 60 years are as great as the last 60.

Julia said...

Hi Micki, a very belated "Happy Birthday" ...wow Micki, I had goose bumps reading your post..How lovely and exciting it must have been to receive that call..
I'm sure you will enjoy doing a bit of volunteer work and it will be very much appreciated...just by your posts, I can tell you have a lovely friendly way about you..
Julia ♥

Unknown said...

Sweet friend ~ I apologize for missing your birthday, Micki ... & am so glad you had such a beautiful one. What a precious husband you do have.

Happy birthday 2U
Happy birthday 2U
You R soooo precious
And an American, 2too.
Hip-tip-hooray!
Hope u have a wonderful day.

TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

Happy Belated Birthday.
Sounds like you had a great day.

Mystica said...

What a very beautiful day it turned out to be! I volunteer myself so do know how satisfying it can be.

Pam said...

Happy Birthday Micki -- that sounds like an amazing Birthday - thanks to the husband who loves you!!

My best wishes for the next year!
Pam

Nancy M. said...

Aww, your hubby is the sweetest! I'm glad you had a great birthday! It's cool that you found something to do that you'll enjoy!

Maggey and Jim said...

OH, Micki,, Joe is just the best, isn't he..What a treasure and to think of that for your birhtday.. Also the volunteer work should be good. I enjoyed reading about your day and it really got to me. So heart-warming and special,, just like you..
Hugs,
Maggey

Janet said...

Happy Birthday, Micki! I'm so glad you had a nice day. You have a wonderful husband to be so thoughtful. My DH turned 60 this year and he is really letting it get to him. I told him "it's only a number". I'm sure you will enjoy volunteering. Have a great year, my dear!!!

Barb said...

I am so glad that your day was so perfect, you do have an awesome husband. I didn't know your parents were holocaust survivors?

You do make me want to come and live there.

Sue said...

Happy Birthday Micki.
It looks like life begins at.....for you. You're going to be so busy. Well done.

Chris H said...

Give JOE a big kiss from me... he is one hell of a man! You are lucky to have such a love in your life... and I reckon he's just as lucky to have YOU! {{{HUGS}}}

Greg said...

That was really nice of Joe. I'm glad you had a great day..

60 huh??You don't type a day over 35!!!!

SewCalGal said...

Micki,

I'm so happy to hear insights on your birthday. But I hope you know I have this theory about birth"day" celebrations. If a toddler gets a day and someone that turns 100 gets a year to celebrate, I think you deserve more than a day to celebrate....so keep on celebrating!

Enjoy!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

SewCalGal said...

Micki,

I'm so happy to hear insights on your birthday. But I hope you know I have this theory about birth"day" celebrations. If a toddler gets a day and someone that turns 100 gets a year to celebrate, I think you deserve more than a day to celebrate....so keep on celebrating!

Enjoy!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Simone de Klerk said...

Oh, Micki, what a wonderful day for you. You definitely found your soul mate in Joe! I am so happy for you!!!
So many special things that happened to you on your birthday.
Well, Jackie was right ...

Rafael's Mum said...

Aw...you made me tear up there... what a very special husband you have.. I am really glad you had such a super day!

marina said...

Joe is a very special man. Glad you had such a fantastic birthday!
Your volunteering job will be so you.
I am so happy for you.

Natasha in Oz said...

Happy Birthday from Australia! Sorry I missed it!

What a fabulous story about your special phone call. You are indeed a lucky lady to have such a sweet hubby!

Best wishes for a happy weekend,
Natasha.

Margaret said...

This makes 30 comments , A belated Happy Birthday I just surfed in from Dzintra's blog. What an enjoyable birthday you had. Hope you get another 30 comments to make 60 wishes.

Rosa-Munda said...

Hi Micki,
What an awesome birthday! Joe is a very special guy. Good luck with your new calling! Ros x

Maria said...

Happy Birthday to you Happy Birthday to You Happy Birthday Dear Micki Happy Birthday to you. XXXX

How wonderful of Joe to arrange the special call for you. Great guy.
What an absolutely terrific birthday you had.

Good luck with your new calling too.

Kaaren said...

Happy belated birthday to you, Micki. Yep, Joe is a keeper for sure. Special people do special things for deserving people and you both fit the bill.

And what a wonderful surprise to hear from the American Embassy! Now that's one birthday present I'm sure you'll not forget.

Gene Black said...

I am so happy to hear that you had such a special birthday full of wonderful surprises.

The volunteer job sounds like WORK but I think you will be wonderful in it. I agree that you dont' "sound, type or act" your age. (thank goodness) I am the same, most people that know me personally are surprised that I am "old" or at least older than them. I get such a laugh when someone guesses "around 35 or 40) Clearly they don't see what I see in the mirror. But just keep acting young and looking at the world in wonder and people won't think you are 60. They will just think you are GREAT!

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Micki! Gosh, I'm a little behind here, but my belated wishes are still sincere.. Happy Birthday to you!! I'm so glad to hear what a wonderful day you had!.. Just finished the book Eclipse, and am up to Chapter 5 in Breaking Dawn! Can't wait for Eclipse to come out in theatres now! I thought the first movie was o.k., but really LOVE the second one. I'm having a hard time, at this point in the books, where I'm at, that Jacob is gone somewhere, while some other girl is in the picture. I'm a very big Jacob fan, and don't think there room for this other girl in this story! ha! ha!.. Dear Daughter just keeps telling me to KEEP READING!!! So, every chance I get, I DO! Have a great weekend! ~tina

Cattinka said...

You know that you are a lucky girl to have Joe!
I am glad that you had such a nice birthday.
KATRIN W.

Mama Spark said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful birthday!! You deserve it and that Joe? Well, he's a keeper for sure!! Happy Birthday my friend!!!

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

What a fantastic Birthday!!!!!!

Belated Happy Birthday wishes!!!

Linda in Arkansas said...

Awww...Joe is so sweet. Sounds like you had the perfect birthday. I just found your blog from In stitches. It's quite interesting. I'll be back.

Carol said...

Aaawwwww. Ain't Joe a sweetheart :)
I think he's picking up quite a following through your blog !!!!!
Congratulations on the new volunteer job.

Millie said...

Micki, Happy Birthday! It sounds like you had a great day...you have a wonderful husband.

Butterfly said...

Happy Birthday! We share the same day but I have a few more years to get to 60!
Joe gave you an awesome day.

Leona

Butterfly said...

Micki, The quilt you asked about is called "A Journey Remembered"

http://www.barbsed.com/journeyremembered.htm

I got it at a quilt show last year and imagined it in the colors that I did mine the minute I saw it. I love Batik anyway!

Leona

Miri said...

Happy Birthday! I'm so glad you had the perfect day! I can't get over the call from the American Embassy...who would have thought...well, I guess Joe did (he's such a keeper! :)

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

so glad you had such a wonderful day!

Ivory Spring said...

Awww - that's the sweetest birthday post I have read in a while.

Happy belated birthday!!!

Hugs!

The French Bear said...

Yes, a Happy Belated Birthday, I somehow missed it!! Looks like you had a lovely time and of course filled with lots of activities!!! How is the painting and drawing coming along?
You sweet husband is a keeper, what a great guy!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Lois said...

A very happy belated birthday Micki, it sounds like you had a lovely day.
Hugs
Lois

Annelies said...

Happy belated birthday from The Netherlands !!

Needled Mom said...

It looks like it was a fabulous event and held in an incredible spot.

Khris said...

Well isn't Joe such a darling and yes you re so very lucky to have such a special soulmate...big hugs to you and Joe...hugssssss Khris