

With all my blogging about my teaching, I was thinking about my time at Kibbutz Shomrat in Israel. I have been lucky to have various teaching experiences all over the United States and outside the USA too. My experiences in Israel were incredible. My parents took me there originally when I was 17 years old. We were there for a tour of the country, and it was like being a time traveler and going back thousands of years into the past. I loved it so much that I did my third year of college at the University in Jerusalem.
Then I went back to America and completed my fourth year at Temple University. I had completed my first two years at Penn State University Anyways, after I finished college, I went to Israel to teach in Ramat Aviv and got married to an Israeli...It was the marriage from hell. I will not say anything further about that, as it was the worst time of my life, except for my time at Kibbutz Shomrat.
I was teaching part time in the school there, and also working in the dairy with the cows...I have to say that I enjoyed that. You should have seen me with my boots on and overalls working with the cows. I, of course, named each and every one of the cows. I loved teaching the children, but enjoyed the farm work even more. I then got trained in the factory where I did quality control and repaired computers ...I was even going to be sent to Germany for advanced training there. I fell in love with kibbutz life. We got up each morning, had a wonderful breakfast at the communal dining room with all the residents, then I taught a few hours in the children's school, had lunch, and then worked in the dairy in the afternoon. I was switched later on from the dairy to the factory.In the evenings, we all met in the community hall, and there was music, food and lots of chatting.
The children lived in the children's house...a weird concept, but they loved the freedom, and yes, the children had a wonderful life on the kibbutz.The celebrations were incredible, and there were people working on the kibbutz who came from all over the world to experience kibbutz life. Shomrat was located near the Lebanon border, and a few times, our kibbutz was under attack. Even though we occasionally had tense situations, it was a good life there. We were given a home, shared everything, and there was no concern over bills or anything.The people there were wonderful, and it was an incredible experience, and everyone was like a big family. As, I never had a large family, it was amazing for me to have so many people care about me. The kibbutz was originally started by holocaust survivors, and as my parents were survivors, I was accepted very quickly.
My parents visited me on the kibbutz during the Passover celebration, and they loved the whole kibbutz life too. My dad was very sick ... I didn't know it at the time... and that was the last time I saw him. He died a few weeks after he returned to the States of a massive heart attack. I remember my brother calling me telling me that our dad had died, and as I was daddy's little girl, my world was shattered. After I attended the funeral, I returned to Israel, and I found out from a friend on the kibbutz that my ex had an affair while I was at the funeral. My ex was abusive, so he had honestly done me a favor. The kibbutz had asked me and my son to stay as permanent members, as they really liked us , and also because I had been a good teacher and worker in general, and I had made friends quickly. After the divorce, I decided not to stay and returned to the USA, as I wanted to help my mom, and also I didn't want my son entering the Israeli army.Mostly, I wanted to go home.
I am glad that I had the experience on the kibbutz. I do want to return to Israel one day and visit, if possible. Joe would love to see it, and I would love to see the country again, visit the kibbutz, see Jerusalem again,and just see how much Israel had changed.My mom wrote a diary of the holocaust while she was hiding, similar to Anne Frank, and I would love to see her original diary on display at the Yad Vashem Museum. We shall see if we are able to visit, as it is a long ways from Ireland. It would be nice to go back and see the country again with my soulmate Joe, as I know we would both love to see it together. Anyways, hope you enjoy some of the pics of the kibbutz and my wee story about my life there.
33 comments:
What a life you have led, full of adventures and cultures. I think you should write a book on your experiences with teaching around the world.
Debbie
Thank you for sharing this part of your life. You certainly have had some amazing experiences. I am glad you were able to get out of the bad marriage and have found your "soul mate" in Joe. I bet your mom's diary is a treasure...full of history, sad, but it's still nice to have something written in your mom's handwriting.
I am truely enjoying your stories about teaching!!
You really had some unique experiences and so glad you decided to share them with us.
You've certainly led an interesting life! I would love to hear more.
Wonderful blog Micki. You are considering putting this all down in a book I hope. Will make a good read.
This can be your book....keep posting and you will have your outline to fill in!!!
I've dreamed of living on a Kibbutz...the idea of comunal living really appeals to me too.
Thanks once again for giving me the opportunity to travel right here in my kitchen.
Hugs,
Kelly
Great post Micki- I loved hearing about your time on the kibbutz-
I had not realized that you have a brother- funny the things we know and don't know about our blogging friends.
We went to Amsterdam in 1985 and visited Anne Frank's residence during the war. It was a moving place to visit. We did a play about her in high school. It has always been one of my favorite stories- she was amazingly mature in her young life.
Warmest regards,
Anna
Another great story, Micki! Are you writing a book? Your autobiography?:) Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for the kind comments you left on my blog.
You have led a very varied and interesting life.
You mum's diary of her time in hiding sounds very interesting. family writings are very precious.
Christy
Lil Bit Brit
I enjoyed reading your story and hope that one day soon you and Joe can take a trip Jerusalem. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for divaded the story of the life with us. Loredana
I really enjoyed hearing about your life in Israel. Thankyou for sharing your history, it is so interesting!!
Thank you for sharing that story with us. I hope you get to go back there.
Interesting post, Micki! I didn't know you were a Nittany Lion. So is my DH!
Thank you so much for sharing your story of Israel. I admire your journeys through life to all these different places. I do hope you get to return someday.
Wow. It sounds like you truly have had some amazing life experiences. I'm so glad you choose to share some of them with us, its always inspiring to hear of other's experiences!
Thank you for sharing another episode of your amazing life. Has your mother's journal been published?
When I was 19 I had decided to go alone to Israel to travel, and to live and work on a kibbutz. My family put the pressure on me, so instead I went to a different country for the summmer. No matter where I go, I try to create some great memories- thanks for sharing yours, especially about the work you enjoyed there.
What an interesting life you have had. Sorry about your marriage, but so glad you have found happiness with Joe. It would be so awesome to read your mother's diary. Thanks for sharing these wonderful stories and experiences with all of us. Nola
Great post Micki. Thanks for sharing your life with us - Hugs Nat
thankyou for another lovely insight into your wonderful life's adventures. You are one amazing woman and your life with Joe is so deserved.
So enjoyed reading this story. You've had some amazing experiences, thanks for sharing.Hope you both get to visit there soon.
What an interesting life you've led Micki - love hearing about it.
What a full life you have had, already. And you are still quite on the young side.
Micki, I can't believe that you were at Kibbutz Shomrat-its just down the road from Bustan HaGalil where the quilt shop I teach at is. My older son used to play softball at Shomrat! Once again-What a small world. :)
Wow, these have been some great blog posts - it's so nice to get to know you better. I really like it.
What a very lovely account Micki, tinged with sadness and yet the joy you felt there shines through.
You certainly have had some amazing experiences. I am glad you were able to get out of the bad marriage and have found your "soul mate" in Joe. I bet your mom's diary is a treasure...full of history, sad, but it's still nice to have something written in your mom's handwriting.
Well as one kibbutznik to another, you know where to stay :)I have been on the kibbutz for 25 years coming June. I live not so far from Shomrat and would love to drive you there. I am so happy you found your place and your happiness after all your adventures! Shabbat shalom, Elsina
My goodness! What an amazing story. You have lived about 9 lives! HA! I loved reading about your years on the Kibbutz...except for the sad parts. My boss had sent his kids to Israel to live on a Kibbutz once and it always intrigued me, the lifestyle and sharing and such.
Israel is a wonderfully amazing place! I haven't been but many of my friends have. I do pray for the country of Israel, for peace and it's safety.
Take Joe and go back one day if you all can work it out. I think it will be a great journey for you both...
And if you can save and restore your Mom's diary and place it into a safe spot or museum to be kept as a piece of "history" to teach others about what happened in the Holocaust..please do!!
Wow, what an interesting life you've had ... and what a wonderful story teller you are.
Blogging can turn into much more. Your life has been so rich and interesting, and I'm sure very painful at times, and I'm sure many others could learn from it. I know that the Pioneer Woman is having a movie about part of her life based on what she has shared on her blog, and I can't help but think that your shared life experiences would make a very worthwhile movie for anyone to see, beginning with your parents lives and then on to yours.
Post a Comment