Friday, February 18, 2011

My Giveaway Prize Arrived , Breakfast at Tiffany and Phantom of the Opera

If you remember, around Christmas time, I won a giveaway from Janet whose blog is Quilting with Janet. I won a FQ bundle of 12 reproduction fabrics. I ordered Kathleen Tracy's latest book on Civil War miniature quilts, so this bundle will be perfect. The weather in Nova Scotia has been terrible, so Janet finally was able to get a neighbor to take my package into town to mail it, and I do thank you Janet for such lovely fabrics. She also got me some pins, and a small purse that will come in very handy.
Today, I am watching Breakfast at Tiffany for the umpteen time. I remember the first time I saw it...I always loved Audrey Hepburn so this movie really highlighted her charms. I had my hair styed like hers, and boy did I love her. After seeing the movie, I decided to go to Tiffany in New York City to see if I could buy anything like Audrey did in the film, and also to see if they treated me as special as she said that they did in the film. I went to NYC a lot with my dad, as he owned a fabric store in Philly, and he would drop me off at 5th Avenue while he went to the fabric district. So one day,I decided to go to Tiffany. I landed up buying a book clip that cost me 12 dollars, but they treated me like royalty, as if I was buying a piece of jewelry that was worth thousands of dollars. They asked me if I saw the movie Breakfast at Tiffany, and smiled when I said that it was the reason that I was there today. Needless to say, it turned out to be a great day. Afterwards, I went to a deli for lunch and then saw a show on Broadway....Phantom of the Opera with Michael Crawford. I was in heaven, as when he sang one of the songs, he seemed to be looking straight at me sitting in the box seat above the stage. What a day.... Tiffany and Michael Crawford. I told my dad how well Tiffany treated me, and he actually went there and thanked them. He had this smile on his face when he looked at the book clip. He wasn't surprised that I did that, as he knew what I was like.
Breakfast at Tiffany is starting in a few minutes, so I am off to see it. I told Joe the story about going to Tiffany. He wasn't surprised either. When I visited Rome, I ran to the Fountain of Trevi to throw a coin backwards over my shoulder into the fountain. Yes, I saw the movie Three Coins in the Fountain....Need I say more? LOL

27 comments:

Terrie Sandelin said...

What a cool story! I love that they treated you that well, just like in the movie. Audrey Hepburn singing "Moon River" is one of those ultimate moments, isn't it?

WoolenSails said...

What a wonderful memory. I love that movie too, she is so fun to watch in the old movies.

Debbie

Cheryl said...

Sounds like a fun time! Breakfast at Tiffany's is my daughter's favorite old movie and who doesn't love the Phantom.

Jocelyn said...

What very sweet memories. I've passed by Tiffany's many times when I lived in NY, but never went in. I was too young, and don't think I had watched the movie until years later. Great post.

Di said...

I haven't been to NY, but I have been to Rome several times and every time I go there I simply must throw a coin over my shoulder into the Trevi Fountain! Just like you! Tiffany's is a treat that still awaits me :-))

Needled Mom said...

What fun memories!!! Do you still have your clip? Did you buy yourself the Breakfast at Tiffanys fabric line?

Barb said...

I don't think I have ever watched that movie all the way through, maybe I will now.

Quiltin' Sandy said...

Hi Micki, what a great win, would love to see the quilt when you finish.
Audrey Hepburn always looked so beautiful and elegant, and Michael Crawford's voice- what can I say? What a fabulous day you had to do all that in one day, you have some lovely memories to look back on. Sandy :)

Wacky Woman said...

Lovely memories Micki. I too love both of those movies.

Lady of the Cloth said...

No wonder you like fabric, it's in your blood. What a wonderful experience you had and the memories are yours to keep!

Merilyn said...

The burning question in my mind Micki is...do you still have the bookclip? LOL! Your fabrics are just lovely, glad you have Kathy's book too, it really is a treat!

Villa-loredana said...

Verry nice and father daughter Tiffanny love story, so to add you are the winner on my OWOH. Please sent me your address. Have a nice weekend Loredana.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

oh micki i love breakfast at tiffanys too...i'll have to watch that too i think...great post...enjoy the movie..we played moon river at our wedding...dzintra

FlourishingPalms said...

Cute story! A fan like you is the reason celebrities are celebrities.

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh, I love this story! Isn't that nice that they were so good to you? I've always been too nervous to go in there! I love that movie too and I love Three Coins in a Fountain--and the music from both of them is great too!!!
XO

Gloria said...

Awesome, so nice to have a double treat in the same day!

Kerrie said...

I love Audrey Hepburn, too! That is a great movie! I am really wanting to buy an Irish bodhran Kerry style drum and an Irish tin whistle. I saw some advertised from a company in Canada but I can probably find them closer than that, don't you think? Love all the brightness of your blog! Hugs, Kerrie

Gene Black said...

I love Hepburn too. My favorite is "Wait Until Dark" - it kept me on the edge of my seat. And when I watch it, I still scream at a certain place.

Ha ha. You would have heard me squeal when I saw 34 Charing Cross Road in London. I had read the book several times. So I know what you mean entirely.

KatieQ said...

When I worked in Manhattan, my friend and I strolled through Tiffany's a few times. We never bought anything, but they always treated us courteously. Years later, when I was a nursery school teacher, a parent gave me a silver apple pendant from Tiffany's. I've never taken it out of the box and it remains in the classic blue tiny Tiffany's shopping bag on my dresser to remind me of how special I am. Lol.
I loved both movies. What's not to love about a movie with Louis Jourdan or George Peppard.

Unknown said...

i love your stories.wonderful memory

Laurie said...

Ah -- you are a girl after my own heart, Micki!

Sparky said...

Well you lucky girl...Miss A.H. has always been of my fav actresses..maybe not sew much for her acting but what she did with her life in making it a softer place....
I have many books ( ok, everyone of them that I inherited from a dear friend who was very passionate about her) brings back many fond memories... enjoy your treasures..

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

What great memories Micki! I don't have any that would hold a candle to that one. I love hearing of Audrey Hepburn fans and finding out more about her since my granddaughter is named Audrey.

Susan In Texas said...

I loved Breakfast at Tiffany's too. We went into Tiffany's on 5th Avenue in spring of 2008. Trust me, there was NOTHING affordable there anymore. I've never seen so much security in a store before. They had two obvious large bouncer types in suits with earpieces for communication. We didn't ask for service, though I'm sure they would have been very polite. 8)

The Lindt chocolate store was right across the street and was ALL too affordable. ;)

Happy thoughts,
Susan in Texas

marina said...

you are such a romantic Micki!
Lovely stories about your favourite movies.
Congratulations on your goodies.

Shelly said...

Very nice experiences you had in NYC.

Janet said...

Hi Micki: I'm glad the fabric finally arrived. And we are a little milder here and have had some melt, but te driveway is a skating rink now!! Waiting impatiently for spring.
You must post another kitten picture asap!
Janet