If I had to choose one story that I most cherished about my teaching career, it would definitely be about a student named Johnny Johnson. I was teaching at Del Valle High School in Del Valle, Texas. Johnny was a tall, handsome, African American who was assigned to my 10th grade class. On day 1, he walked into my class in a loud, rude fashion, but as the day progressed I recognized the potential in this student.He continued to defy me throughout the year, but I never gave up on him. He was smart and quick with his responses, and when he took the role of Hamlet, I saw what a star he could be. When the class clapped at one portion of his Hamlet performance, I saw the flicker of a smile, and I began to have hope of a change, but he refused to budge from his defiant stance. The following year, Johnny was assigned to my class again, as I was assigned to teach an 11th grade class. I couldn't believe that I got him again! I gave him greater responsiilities, challenged him even further, had tons of meetings with him and his parents, but at the end of the year, he maintained his defiance. In the fall, I was given the 12 grade class, which was always a great responsibility and honor for a teacher, and of course, I was assigned Johnny Johnson yet again. On the first day of class, he asked to speak to me in the hallway, and he said he was going to be my top student that year, and he kept his promise...He maintained an "A" average, and he graduated with honors.Johnny was accepted in a very good college, and he was in the top 5 percent of his class. He wrote an essay about the teacher who had the greatest influence in his life, and he submitted it to Who's Who Among America's Teachers. It turned out to be an essay about me. As a result of Johnny's essay, I was included in the publication that year, and only 5 percent of teachers nationwide are selected for inclusion in this publication. It was the highest honor I could have achieved, and I cried when I received the lette
r from Who's Who Among America's Teachers. Johnny had been also published in Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges.
r from Who's Who Among America's Teachers. Johnny had been also published in Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges.I then also appeared in the Del Valle Digest to announce that I was chosen on of the best teachers in America. Here is the link to the digest. and I am on page three:
http://www.del-valle.k12.tx.us/documents/District%20Digest%20January%202005.pdf I am listed under Anna Perlberger Butler. Anna is my legal first name. I was named after both my grandmothers, and Perlberger is my maiden name. I then got nominated again two years later.
Anyways, I had great joy from teaching, and working with students like Johnny was so rewarding. I will never forget Johnny Johnson!
37 comments:
Have you ever heard from him since, Micki? It would be fun to see what he ended up doing with his life. This was a great story and shows what a teacher can do in a child's life.
Belated congratulations! Do you know what happened to the student?
What a wonderful story....and I am sure seeing the change in this young man was all the award you needed but it was great to be recognized as well.
What a great story -- congratulations on your achievement and what a wonderful young man!
Wonderful story! You were obviously a dedicated and inspiring teacher.
WE all have a teacher we remember that made a difference in our schooling. I am glad you did not give up on Johnny. Do you ever hear from him? Sometimes I think about my favorite teacher and wonder what happened to him after he retired. Funny, his name was Mr. Johnson!
belated congratulations. wonder what became of him.
Kerstin
Congratulations Micki!
You are truly a "teacher" and the things that you did to inspire and challenge your students is what I expect from a person who undertakes the challenge to not only impart information to students but an ability to show the students what lies within themselves and to have them learn to access their potential. What a wonderful story!
Congrats
Pam
Wonderful story and it is so rewarding being able to help a student to achieve his goals in life.
Debbie
What a wonderful story...I'm going to read it to my Husband, who is also a teacher.
God put that child in your path for a reason Micki. I'm so glad you were up for the challenge. Wonderful post!
Nice, nice, teacher story. Loredana
I love this story. Teachers DO make such a huge difference in the lives of children. Thank you for your work in behalf of all the challenging children out there.
I'd love to know what happened with Johnny? Do you know where he is now?
Your story is just another reason why we should regularly thank a teacher! Micki, thank you for chosing a career that while paid less money, enabled you to influence our future decision makers in a positive way.
Micki I have had a couple of teachers that have made a mark in my life and I will never forget. I wish I had known how to thank them in that way.
He was a very smart young man you both were very fortunate to cross paths...by the sounds of things he really made an impression with you as well.
You are right teaching is always rewarding. I am not a teacher in school but in quilting it is always a pleasure when you can uncomplicate someones life...by learning.
Such a nice story, Micki. I'm not surprised to learn this about you. Fun to see your photo in the PDF.
Micki, you are jewel in the world of education. It is so encouraging to hear that there are teachers who really do support and encourage students. My children had a tutor who was just this type of encourager. She died before my second son graduated. Her husband stood in her place at our graduation reception, as she was sorely missed. Thank you for being such a wonderful teacher and mentor.
Hi Micki,
I love what you did to your blog, looks great, also enjoyed the story.
I see that I was bounced from your followers list again and I signed up. Yours wasn't the only one. I have had to rejoin several ones again.I wish blogger would work this little problems out. At least it was not like last year when blogger deleted my blog. HA! HA! I know others who have had the same problem. Didn't mean to go into all this. Just wanted to let you know I like your new design.
Congrats for all the lives you have touched, isn't a wonderful feeling. Each time it happens, I wonder what I did to make it happen.
Hugs to you.
What a great honour Micki!!! Now I see why you loved your teaching so much, to be able to effect a change in someone's life and for them to realise their potential is very rewarding. See....I told you, you were special.....
His memory of you must be the greatest compliment. To really make a difference is the role of a dedicated educator and you must have been that and more.
Ms Butler that is soooo nice to read. i am downthe road from DelValle, in Bastrop....IF you do
find him, let us all know. Enjoy your life!
Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. I'm sure we would all love to find out about the next chapter in his life. Do you know what he did after college?
A real honour! The joy of teaching really is to inspire our pupils into wanting to learn more.
Parabéns!!! Uma linda história.
Abraços
Great story! Johnny is such a great man.
Congratulations on your award and achievement!
Awesome story Micki, and CONGRATS on those Kudos! Please come see the top few posts on my blog :)
Susan
Love your story! I enjoyed reading about how Audrey Hepburn influenced your decision to take the job in the first place. I enjoy her movies. It feels so wonderful to be able to help others.
I tell you Sister Luke, there is nothing more joyful than determination to see the best in someone even when they can't see it in themselves. Wonderful story....thanks again....lets hear some more :)
Kelly
Great story. You are an inspiration for not giving up. It is sad when people don't live up to there potential but the joy is beyond expression when they do.
Micki, I'm not surprised you were chosen for award. Congratulations! I would also like to know how Johnny is doing now. It will be great to find out - good story, thanks for sharing with us Micki - Hugs Nat
wow micki what an honour...teaching can be such a rewarding profession...dzintra
can i ask how did you get to be micki...sounds like me with the 2 names
What a wonderfully heartwarming story! It brought tears to my eyes :-))
Micki, You touched something inside Johnny, he finally saw himself through your eyes, and made a great change for the better. I hope he is doing very well wherever he is and with whatever he has decided to pursue. Congratulations!
That is a truly inspiring story. You have reminded us that it may take YEARS to make a difference, but don't give up on the potential you see in someone.
I think you should expand this story and submit it to a few magazines
That's a truly amazing and inspiring story Micki. Congratulations for not giving up on him and for being nominated by him - really good teachers are born not made :-)
The image on my tag is a Stampotique stamp - 'Eric' designed by Daniel Torrente
Anne xx
Post a Comment