Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Irish Muses
I live in Dunfanaghy, Ireland. How did I land up here? I am originally from Philadephia, PA, and thus, I am a Philly girl. I fell in love with a Dub and landed up in the beautiful country of Ireland, in what they call the Northwest Passage or the northern part of County Donegal. When I came to Ireland, I have to admit it was a culture shock. Hey, I was used to the big city, and stores being opened on Sunday. We were living in the midlands then and it was dead as a doornail there and not very attractive at all. Then one day, we decided to go camping and found Donegal County. We both fell in love with it, and on a sudden whim, we decided to move up here and we landed up in Letterkenny. We then returned to the states for several years so I could finish my teaching, and finally returned to our beloved Donegal. We brought our two dogs Rufus and Charlie with us. That is a story and a half. I had an injured leg, and I drove to Chicago all the way from Austin, Tx, where we were living at the time, so that we could put the dogs on one plane to Dublin. As you can see, we wanted to come home. We lived in Letterkenny again first, then moved to Glenties, but we still did not find our niche, as they say. One day, I found out about a quilting guild, and heard of a quilt shop in Dunfanaghy owned by a native of Holland named Pauline Openneer. I absolutely loved the town. Well, why not? It was located right by the sea, was surrounded by hills, and had an active guild in town. Well, luckily, Joe loved it too, and now we have been here almost a year in September. It is a piece of heaven for sure, and we thoroughly enjoy retirement and especially our walks together . We are finally home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment