I read many of the Elm Creek novels, and I decided one day to do The Sylvia Bridal Sampler. The quilt has 140 blocks and each block had a different technique and challenge. I worked on the quilt for four months, and not a day went by when I wasn't doing at least one block. I shared all of my blocks with Marie, and the ladies at the guild watched me do the blocks each week when I went to the quilting bee. It was quite a learning journey for me, and then at last I was done. I have the quilt pictured on the site, and it does mean a lot to me. My husband Joe was so supportive of me throughout my endeavour, and I am so appreciative of all of his help. I can remember one day Joe climbing on a ladder and hanging the quilt on a fence near our home so he could take a pic of it. You can see how big the quilt is. I don't think that I would do a sampler again, but I am glad that I did this quilt. It was a once in lifetime experience. I will cherish the quilt forever, but the best part of doing the quilt was sharing the completed quilt with family and friends, as they were as proud of my achievement as I was.
Also, as a result having done the quilt, I joined the Sylvia Bridal Sampler Yahoo Group, and then as an offshoot to this original group, I became a member of the Friendship Group. This has been so much fun. We all write each other, and now we are all involved in many swaps together. I am leading two of them: One is a FQ swap, where we are swapping FQ's (5 each) and the other is a Christmas Swap, where we are swapping Christmas blocks, which are stars of our choosing. We have formed some very nice friendships there, and even though I am finished the group, I would miss them all if I left, so I have decided to stay.I even have a baby sister who I have adopted fromthe group, named Elaine , and it is always nice to get an email from her. I am also in the Siggy Swap, and love getting the blocks signed with everyone's name, country, and date on the block....what fun! Also finally, I am in the Birthday Swap, and there we are sending a birthday block, picking a block from the Sylvia Bridal Sampler , to wish the person a Happy Birthday. I have decided to make a Christmas quilt out of the blocks that I receive for the Christmas Swap, a table runner out of the Birthday blocks and another quilt from the Siggy blocks. They will all be wonderful memories for me. I am in the process of finishing all of my blocks and mailing them out, and had a ball buying the fabric for them. I just am lucky to be a member of that group.
Also, as a result having done the quilt, I joined the Sylvia Bridal Sampler Yahoo Group, and then as an offshoot to this original group, I became a member of the Friendship Group. This has been so much fun. We all write each other, and now we are all involved in many swaps together. I am leading two of them: One is a FQ swap, where we are swapping FQ's (5 each) and the other is a Christmas Swap, where we are swapping Christmas blocks, which are stars of our choosing. We have formed some very nice friendships there, and even though I am finished the group, I would miss them all if I left, so I have decided to stay.I even have a baby sister who I have adopted fromthe group, named Elaine , and it is always nice to get an email from her. I am also in the Siggy Swap, and love getting the blocks signed with everyone's name, country, and date on the block....what fun! Also finally, I am in the Birthday Swap, and there we are sending a birthday block, picking a block from the Sylvia Bridal Sampler , to wish the person a Happy Birthday. I have decided to make a Christmas quilt out of the blocks that I receive for the Christmas Swap, a table runner out of the Birthday blocks and another quilt from the Siggy blocks. They will all be wonderful memories for me. I am in the process of finishing all of my blocks and mailing them out, and had a ball buying the fabric for them. I just am lucky to be a member of that group.
No comments:
Post a Comment