Thursday, July 31, 2008

Life in the Small Town in Ireland

Small town life is so different! When I came here to Ireland, we mostly lived in small towns, and I had to get used to that for sure. Having grown up in Philadelphia, I am used to not being noticed. I could go in a supermarket, and no one would say a word to me. They basically wouldn't know me. You surely had your anonymity, and in a way that is good. Here, people know everything about you....I mean everything. They will stop Joe and me, and say that they saw us doing whatever, and it amazes me. One woman who was jogging stopped and said, "You two always walk everywhere, don't you?" Well, who was she? I never saw her, but they all know that we walk everywhere, as we decided to not get a car when we came back to Ireland.Then someone saw us walking together and said,"You two always hold hands. That's so sweet. We have all noticed that." I again looked at her, and thought, "Do I know her?"Joe says that the locals notice everything and everybody. They think that they know everything about us. I still haven't gotten used to that. As Joe and I are always together, that is noticed too. When Joe goes into the local store and I happen to not be with him, they will ask, "Where is your wife?" Joe always says that you really couldn't do anything wrong in this town and laughs.Then there is the gossip...oh my gosh! It is amazing how much of that there is. The good side to it, is that if you got sick and did not show up at the local shop, someone would come to your house and see if you were alright. That is very nice. What is also amazing is that the bus driver will stop and pick you up or let you off where you want, even though the stop is not part of his designated route. I find that amazing! If we say to stop at our house, he will do it. When we have loads of bags after shopping, that makes it so easy. Living in a small town has been good, as we have taken many more walks than we ever did, as the scenery here is incredible. Well, we are both considered blow-ins....Joe because he is from Dublin, which is worlds apart from Dunfanaghy, and me because I am the Yank from the States. Even if we are here 30 years, we will still be blow-ins, but the locals are still very friendly indeed, and will tell you that you are a blow-in a very humourous, amiable way. Funny enough, I wouldn't live in a big town or city anymore. I really have turned into a country girl.

No comments: