Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Quilter's Apprentice: How I was like Sarah McClure






If you have read Jennifer Chiaverini's Elm Creek books, then you will know what I mean by the title of this post when I write about Sarah McClure. Funny enough, she was from PA too, and moved to a new location, as I did to Ireland. When Sarah went to her first Tangled Web Quilter's Meeting, I knew exactly how she felt...I had done the same. I remember reading how Sarah was welcomed by Bonnie and that is what happened to me. I was throughly accepted into the bee. I went to the Wednesday meeting and felt the usual apprehension of being new. I really have never done that well with groups or large parties, etc. However, they were so welcoming, and I couldn't but help to feel accepted. The bee was held in Pauline's Quilt Shop. I had brought some blocks with me to sew for a quilt that I was making, and I found out that I was not going to get too much sewing done, as we chit chatted most of the three hours that we were there. We stopped for cake and coffee, and I was told by Attracta that I had fallen into the best quilting bee at Sheephaven Guild. Oh, there were one or two later who were not so friendly, but that is the same anywhere. Now, I have my featherweight, so Joe and I walk the 5 minutes it takes from our house to the quilt shop with my featherweight on Joe's shoulder, and me carrying the bag with my supplies. There are bees a few times a week, but I chose to attend on Wednesday afternoons from 2-5 PM. There are also classes every day except for Sundays and Mondays , and I am scheduled this summer to take a wonderful course on making fancy patchwork bags. As you can see by the pics, we are all a happy bunch of ladies with varied ages and backgrounds, but who all love quilting and enjoying a bit of craic(fun).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post Micki, how exciting to be able to have such similarities to the character of Sarah McClure, you are so lucky to have found such a wonderful quilting bee to be a part of!! Thanks for sharing your blog address with us on the yahoo group. I am so glad that I came to visit your blog and know that I will be a regular visitor. I have left a link for my blog also if you wish to know a little more about me.
Hugs from Erica in Australia