Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Knitting At Last


I have crocheted for years and years, but I always wanted to learn to knit. My friend Attracta lent me her Stitch'N Bitch book, and I dived into it enthusiastically. I worked on it the first three days for 7-8 hours straight. I learned how to cast on the stitches quickly enough, the knit stitch wasn't too bad...even got the speed down, but the purl took me some time, but now after less than a week, I have gotten it. I think that the purl was hard for me, as I have dyslexia, and you have to do it backwards, but I finally mastered it. I then learned how to increase and decrease stitches, bind off the piece, and do yarn over...I am looking at the book all the time and learning things.

I knew I had to jump into making a project, so I have started a scarf. I found some lovely wool yarn that had the colours black, grey and white. I am using 6mm straight wooden needles, as the pattern indicated, and I am knitting away. It is very relaxing sitting in my lounge chair and knitting by the fire while I watch tv. I will post the scarf when I finish. I want to try socks afterwards, but I hear that the heels are a killer. Well, Joe and I both want socks, so I will give it a go. Any help with the socks or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Oh, UTube had tons of videos, and I have to admit that without those, I never would have learned knitting so quickly. I am determined to work my way up to a sweater soon, and being the persistent person that I am...I am sure that I will....MmMmMm....I think angora and pink is definitely a possibility.

3 comments:

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Have a look at this site

http://www.knittinghelp.com/

I've found it very helpful as I'm a visual learner. But it sounds like you're way past me now, lol

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

My friend reckons the heels are a killer too...but having said that once she mastered them she only ever wears home made socks (along with her husband)...she always carries socks on needles wherever she goes...Dzintra

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Oh, I'm so excited, another knitter. You'll have to learn to spin your own yarn next.
Good luck with the learning process.
Yes, sock heals are a pain.