Sunday, March 29, 2009

Afternoon Walk By the Ocean
















We had the whole beach to ourselves, except for one other person which is par for the course. For some reason, people don't walk that much around here. We have developed the reputation of walking everywhere;whereas, people will jump in their cars if they even have a block's walk to our village. So when people meet us, they always say something like, " We saw you walking on Horn Head Bridge. You two walk everywhere together." It is funny, but we will stay much healthier having done all that walking and hiking and not having a car.

Getting back to the beach, we really had a lovely walk. I promised you some pics, so here they are. Our home is near Killahoey Beach, and we have the luxury of living in a place where people come to vacation. Luckily, we are way up in the NW of Donegal County in what they call the Northwest Passage, so we don't get a lot of visitors. The beach is lovely, as you can see. If we walk to the left all the way around, the beach will connect to our village. You can see Horn Head to the left, and we walked around it one day in a moment of insanity and we wouldn't do it again, as it was a 12 mile walk. Needless to say, at the end, we were bollocksed as they say here.To the right, Killahoey Beach connects with another beach called Portnablagh , and then a bit further, there is Marble Hill Beach. It is a wild ocean at times, but it is lovely.

13 comments:

Carol said...

I miss the beach. I miss the beach. Can I say again. I miss the beach (and being able to walk along one.) Last one I walked along was when we visited St. Andrews about 4 years ago :)

Love your pictures by the way. I can see why you love where you live. sigh :)

Maggey and Jim said...

love you walks together.. ahh... I must tell you that it is so good for both of you.. just sharing that moment and talking to each other is so wonderful..

Cris Uchoas said...

Wonderful photos, live in paradise. I love the sea and to walk in the sands of the beach, especially if it is a deserted beach as its picture, is a feeling of freedom and peace, difficult or almost impossible to find in urban centers.
You're inside! And enjoy it to walk because the car very easy life, but much more damaging to our physical and mental health.
Here in Brazil there are beautiful beaches paradise of clear water and calm. The next time that I get to the beach I take some pictures to send you.
Much Light and Peace!
Hug from Brazil!
PS.: Sorry my bad english

Nat Palaskas said...

Oshhhhhhh that lovely!!! That is my wish to live by the sea and walk everywhere like you. Love the photos thanks for sharing - Natima

Vicki H. said...

Isn't it funny that people find your walking interesting? In our community you see people walking everywhere, or biking, all the time. I am sure the economy and high gas prices my be contributing but many, many people walk for their health. Sigh, your photos are beautiful and make me long for blue skies and lovely water.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

I loved the pics... reminds me of the lovely seaside villages we traveled through when we were there. I so want another visit. I think I may start walking to work one day a week. I feel it is necessary. At least till it gets too hot to arrive all sweaty.

Natalija said...

Beautiful pics, Micki! Especially I like that one on the top with footsteps :)

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Cool pics Micki...so nice to see where you are...Dzintra

Sew Lind said...

You're so lucky, your area looks beautiful and isolated, perfect for walking.

Anonymous said...

Lovely pic's.. thanks for sharing.
I miss the beach too.. I use to live in CA and walked the beach at all hours of the day.. especially loved walking on it at night.
It sounds like you two are feeling much better now?

Simone de Klerk said...

What a lovely place to be!

Kath said...

Ooh I am envious, I spent the afternoon walking round the supermarket! Glad you 2 are feeling better, it looks like a wonderful place to be. Kath x

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful setting. And so wise, to make use of it... via walking.

We love the beach, and are land-locked. -sigh- Used to visit Cape Cod every fall. But with my husband's eyesight problems, we haven't been able to in years. -sigh-

So we have to rely on memories. And walking around these parts. :-)

Aunt Amelia