Sunday, March 8, 2009

Another Hexagon Block and Suzy the Dotee Doll





I finished another hexagon flower last night while I was watching tv. I have 23 more large flowers to make for the double sized quilt. That is not too bad, as I am making them pretty quickly. I decided that I will hand applique each large flower onto a 14 inch block, which will be a blue leaf pattern. it will look like the flowers are lying on the grass. The blue matches the blue in our curtain, so it will coordinate well.


Today, in the AM I made a dotee doll.

Dot from http://dotslifeandart.blogspot.com/2008/01/dotee-doll-fervour.html originated the dotee doll. I liked when I read her blog that she said, "Artists who are making the dotee dolls know what it is all about-spreading friendship, love, and joy." If you check out her site, I know that you will be delighted with it and fall in love with the dolls too.

I got inspired to make one this AM, when a friend named KR from my Postcard Pizazz Group posted on her blog a whole bunch of dotee dolls that she made. I hadn't made one in a while, so I got inspired. Anways, I used the embroidery machine to make the face and the chest, and used some lovely oriental fabric for her body. Her hair is made of hand-dyed Westdale curl wool, which was in a fabulous blue and silver. I embellished with beads and buttons. I have to admit that I enjoyed making Suzy, and my morning flew. She is now sitting on a shelf in the kitchen and is looking very happy to be there. She has a really cute and funny face, and she just makes you smile, which is what dotee dolls should do...make you happy.

I am now cutting out hexagons for my next flower. I will be making it tonight while I watch
Dancing on Ice.

Oh, it is freezing here, and we have had lots of hail storms.
Needless to say, I am glad to be home!

PS: Since Pat just posted that she would love to make a dotee doll, here is a good tutorial on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_SlCwCYcsU. It will get you started Pat, and anone else who wants to make this cute doll.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Dotee doll is so cute!! I just have to make me one.. I've always loved doll making so I have a feeling I could get addicted to making those :)
Toss another log on the fire and stay warm.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Micki.. I enjoyed watching the video and am sure others will too. I did try to find that other ladies link but it kept saying 'page not found'
You have solved that problem..
Thanks
((hugs))

Natalija said...

Lovely doll, Micki :) Hope to see the quilt very soon. I love the blueleaf pattern you are using.

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Hi Micki,
You have been very busy. I have really missed visiting your blog.
I see that you have made another lovely hexagon. The colors that you are choosing for the hexagons a just delightful. Your latest Geisha is gorgeous. Keep up the great work. Now I'm off to visit your link on the Dotee dolls.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Oh you are so talented!!! :-)

Thank you for commenting that it's nice that I spend quality time with my Granddaughter. Believe me, I get so much out of it, myself. And she's happy with it. So it's a win-win situation.

Aunt Amelia

Simone de Klerk said...

I agree, those Dotee dolls are very very cute. Might make one too this week. Looks like fun and nice to giveaway!
Hexagon 'block' is a beauty again.

Vicki H. said...

I think your hexagons are very, very pretty. I love dotee dolls. I made a lil' gnome using weefolkart's pattern, just because it made me smile. In fact, I think I need to make another one this week. Smiles are good for the soul!

ceecee said...

Well - ya know I won't be doing any sewing! Wish I could send you some of our spring weather. Hard to think of people having ice and snow when I step outside in my bare feet. Stay cozy, Micki!
Catherine

a good yarn said...

Wonderfully cute! They will be incredibly popular I'm sure. Your hexagons are coming together quickly and will look lovely on the bacjground fabric. I can't wait to see them.

Happy Stitching...Ann :)

Carol said...

Hi Micki, You're Dotee doll is gorgeous and very elegant. I was looking at some this morning and think I might try to make a dotee bird.