Friday, March 6, 2009

Last Thimbleberry Sections and Quilt Retreat




I was at my quilting bee at Pauline's Quilt shop which you can see at http://www.irishcountryquilting.com/ and finished my last section of the Thimbleberry quilt...yeah! I am now heading up to Pauline's shop to buy the fabric for the triangles which will join all the sections so I can put the top together.

I am really busy now, as I also have to do a Carol Doak's reversible vest for a quilt retreat that I am going to in April. It is at the Dunadry Hotel and Country Club, which you can see at http://www.dunadry.com/ . The guild is going for the whole weekend as we are attending two workshops over the weekend:
1. Braided Quilts and Borders with Frances Sawaya, which is a workshop where you learn techniques for making quilts or for finishing touches for quilts, which include using embellishments and the quilt-as-you-go method. We are doing a table runner.
2. Intermediate Spikey Quilts With Deb Karasik, which is a workshop that introduces you to several variations that can be utilized with spikes, creating beautiful quilts. We are doing the Carnivale Wallhanging which incorporates different colour combinations and spikes and goes beyond the basic NY Beauty.

Getting back to the vest, I am making a reversible vest and using Yukuta oriental fabrics and batiks for the one side. The reversed side will mostly be various tones of reds and black batik fabrics that will be in vertical strips with a black back. I am including a pic of the vest that I will doing, which is called the Morning Glory Vest, but I will be using different fabrics, but stay with the variations in blues and purples.For the Yukuta main focus fabric, which you see pictured, I will get the purple tulip which you can look at on the Shibori Dragon site at http://www.shiboridragon.com/Yukata.htm If you look at http://www.sewfancy.com/sashikofabric.htm , I will als0 be getting the black butterflies fabric(SF-002) for the back of the two vests.

I will be ordering the fabric this week, so I will start it next week, and I will post a pic when it is done. Since, I have Carol Doak's Easy Reversible Vests and her accompanying dvd, it should be ok. I will have Carol doing it with me. You can see the book and dvd at Carol's site which is http://www.caroldoak.com/ .

As you can see, I will be very busy indeed! I'm getting tired just thinking about it. Joe and I went shopping in Letterkenny yesterday, and I bought two lovely tops to go with blue and black leggings that I have to wear to the workshops. I will have the vest for the two evening dinners, which is so versatile, and wear it with a white shirt that I got.
That is it for me! I am off to Pauline's to get that fabric that I need!
Have a great weekend!






7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are one busy gal.. enjoyed the links you posted.
Enjoy yourself and have a great weekend.

Simone de Klerk said...

Enjoy your workshops!

Marie said...

Hey Girlfriend, wow your one busy lady! I think your vest will be very nice and I do love your thimbleberry block too. Have a great weekend and I wil try to write over the weekend. Hugs, Marie

Maggi said...

Have a wonderful time at your retreat. You will have fun with Carol Doak's book. I will email a pic of one that I made - very easy to follow - she is great.

Lurline said...

Wow - you have some work planned - looking forward to seeing your vest!
Hugs - Lurline♥

andsewon said...

Oh my you are quite the busy gal for sure!! All fun things!!Look forward to seeing that pretty vest. I have some batiks I had planned to make a jacket with , need to decide it I am still on that mind set. Ha!!
Loved the links that hotel is very unique to be sure. Sounds like a nice retreat.
Love that block. You do such nice work.
Lola

a good yarn said...

You are one busy quilter. Have a terrific time at retreat. Your vest will be fabulous. Nice block too!

Happy Stitching...Ann :)