Friday, July 31, 2009

August Star





Joe and I are off to Letterkenny tomorrow to see the latest Harry Potter movie, and we will be there all day, so I am posting my August Star tonight.
I am so pleased to present Nedra as my August Star. Nedra has a lovely blog called Cactus Needle, and she lives with her family in Utah. She is a very talented quilter and a really sweet lady. I am so happy that I have met her through our blogs, and it is wonderful getting to know her .
Here is Nedra's interview:

Interview for August

· A Bit About Me:
I was raised in California, but currently live in Southern Utah, near beautiful Zion National Park. I have been married for 30 years and am the mother to 5 children and 2 (almost 3) grandchildren. My family means everything to me, and when I am not with them, I keep busy in my church, love to travel, read, and most important quilt! I work part time for a wonderful company called Superior Threads, and enjoy being involved in all the new and exciting products they bring into the market.
· What Insprires Me:
I am most inspired by other quilters. I am a very social quilter and love to observe the ideas and concepts that come out of people’s imaginations. When I see other’s quilts I almost always think to myself “I want to make that too!” Or, I feel inspiration to take my own projects in a new direction. If there was only time and means to do it all.
· What I Love to Do the Most Creatively:
Being a social quilter, I love to get together with friends to work on projects. In fact, in building our home, my husband designed my sewing room with more square footage than the Master bedroom. (We must have our priorities!) I love having enough room to have friends over to sew, and if we add in good food, I’m in heaven.
My favorite memories are of Get-Aways with my girlfriends where we have taken a week and gone to a cabin or resort to sew. Of course, we solve the problems of the world as we quilt.
· My Favorite Fabric and Designer:
My favorites seem to change from year to year. Right now I am drawn to anything made with Kaffe Fassett’s line of fabric or patterns. But I also love the fun colors from designers like Amy Butler or Joel Dewberry.
I am drawn more to traditional quilts rather than art quilts, but appreciate them all.
· UFO I Intend to Finish First:
I started a “Satchels” quilt many months ago, and other projects had deadlines, so this one waits patiently on my design wall. It is an appliqué quilt with various baskets made with Kaffe fabric. I just need to get the appliqué done on the borders and it will be finished, hopefully soon!
· What’s on the Design Wall Now:
See above
· Who Would I Love to Meet:
I would love to meet Pam Holland. I have been a fan of hers ever since I saw and read her book “The 1776 Quilt”. Not only do I admire her amazing work, but I also respect her approach to life. She is the mother of 11 children, 3 biological, and 8 adopted from all over the world. She has experienced her share of heartache, and has used quilting as a form of experiencing the beauty in this world. Right now she is working on “Bayeaux Tapestry” that is 238 feet long done in appliqué, drapplique and quilting. Pam thinks big! I understand she will be teaching for Superior Threads at their School of Threadology next spring and I look forward to the opportunity to meet her then.
· Plans for the Future:
Right now my husband and I are working with Superior Threads to introduce their new product Texture Magic to the public. This is an exciting product and I see tremendous potential in so many areas, whether it’s quilting, children’s clothing, or home décor.
And I plan to continue on with my personal blog “Cactus-Needle” where I have had the wonderful experience of rubbing shoulders with so many of you from all over the world.

Nedra's work is outstanding ! Here are a few of the lovely quilts that she made. Enjoy them all, as they are all eye candy.

First of all, in the first pic here, Nedra is standing by the quilt which won a 2nd prize ribbon at her local quilt show. It is called " 4th of July", a pattern by Judy Neimeyer. Nedra told me that Judy did hers in bright blues, purples, and orange, and she did hers in Earth colours like the desert where she lives. She renamed hers "4th of July in St. George."



Here is another look at the quilt.








The second pic below is a quilt that Nedra made called "Bridget Millar." Nedra explained that she made it to match the scenery of Southern Utah. The fabric on the border shows Indian Petroglyphs, and she said that in her area, they have authentic 2000 year old Indian Petroglyphs just 5 miles from her home in St. George, Utah.








The next quilt is a hexagon quilt that Nedra called "Gilded Snowballs Quilt", and she used Kaffe Fassett fabrics for it.








Another quilt pictured below is "Every Day Dishes" by Piece O' Cake designs where Nedra paper pieced the whole quilt using polka dot fabrics.









The last quilt is one with wool applique and is called "Pinwheels and Posies" by Liberty Homestead. Nedra said that she hand dyes all her wool.


Nedra, thank you so much for the interview and for sharing some of your works of art. I know that everyone will enjoy it as much as I did, and you are truly a star!

20 comments:

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Enjoy the movie Micki...although I am hearing the book is better, but isn't that always the way!!!
What a wonderful interview...and Nedra is one talented lady...Dzintra♥x

Granny Lyn said...

What an interesting lady! Thank you for introducing her to us!!!

enjoy Harry!

Nat Palaskas said...

How exciting to meet a real star Nedra! She is very impressive Micki. Thanks for sharing her story and let us get to know her. She likes Pam Holland too and I am one of Pam follower and can't wait to see Pam's “Bayeaux Tapestry” quilt and pattern. I have seen it in real life!
Well done Micki - Hugs Nat
PS: Enjoy Harry Potter

Julia said...

What an interesting lady...great interview!
Enjoy the movie...i'm still getting through to seeing all the other ones..
Julia ♥

Patty said...

Micki, enjoy Harry Potter I've seen it and I think it is the best one yet... the book is better though.
Nedra does beautiful work. I love her choice of color. Thank you for visiting mine. I'm glad I found your blog =0>

Lurline said...

Nedra is one of my very favourite blogland friends, so it it just lovely to see her as your Star!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Sue said...

Thank you for introducing Nedra to us. How lovely to meet her.

Kim Walus said...

I'm pretty lucky to know Nedra too and was so excited to recently meet up with her and a few of her friends. She is just as wonderful in person as I imagined!!

Marlene said...

What a great interview-thank you for sharing. Aren't her quilts just fantastic.Off to read her blog.
Enjoy your movie.

Searchfamilies said...

Love getting to know people in your interviews & this lady is very interesting thanks for doing this
Hugs Janice

Miri said...

Thanks for the interview Micki...always nice to meet a new quilt blogger (and I do love Superior Threads)!

Enjoy the movie...I'm hoping to go this week too!

Maggey and Jim said...

Micki,
Wish I were going with you. No one else in my family likes Mr. Potter?
Have a great time. I really like Nedra's blog, she is so talented.Love that polka dot quilt,Awesome!!! Thanks for all the wonderful people you have directed me too.Aren't they some amazing ones out there?? Such artists!!
Maggey

Nedra said...

Thanks again for featuring me Micki! It was fun to do an interview for you! Have a wonderful time at Harry Potter.

Nedra said...

Thanks again for featuring me Micki! It was fun to do an interview for you! Have a wonderful time at Harry Potter and a day with your husband.

Tammy said...

Wonderful interview Micki!
Thanks for sharing, hope you enjoy the movie.

Heckety said...

OH MY GOODNESS! gasp gasp! bee-u-tee-ful!

Kath said...

Nice to meet you Nedra! I love your snowball quilt! best wishes Kath

Dawn said...

Nedra is just as lovely in person too!! She is a very talented lady! Have fun with Harry!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for featuring my friend Nedra. We were neighbors for years and our kids grew up together. People thought our daughters were twins! I am sad that she moved to St. George, but we keep in touch with her blog. She is responsible for getting me started in scrapbooking and quilting. She is the best friend a person could have.
Pam Fenlon, Sandy, Utah

Simone de Klerk said...

I enjoyed reading the interview (O: Beautiful work. Always nice to see and meet new quilters (O: