Friday, July 24, 2009

The Table Runner for the Stanley and a Surprise Gift



I finally finished the table runner for the Stanley Stove. Here in Ireland, many of the cottages and bungalows have Stanleys in the sitting room. You can put turf or coal into the Stanley, and it will heat the whole house. There is also a hot plate on top and you can cook on it, but the table runner is covering that. Also, on the bottom of the Stanley is an oven,where you can actually bake cakes, etc. I don't use the Stanley, as I have an oven in the kitchen, and we use the storage heater to heat the house, as it is set to a timer, and it doesn't go on till the evening when the rates are much lower. It is therefore more economical than the Stanley. I do like having the Stanley in the living room, and on Christmas day, I may light it, as it will make the living room very cozy. I decided to decorate the Stanley a bit, thus the runner. I am pleased with how it turned out, and boy does it make a difference. Patches, my teddy bear, is quite pleased that I decorated the Stanely as yuu can see by his big smile. By the way, Patches is wearing the Donegal Sports Logo baseball cap....funny, huh?

Also today, I received a surprise gift from my friend Kath. She sent me the audio cds for the book The Time Traveller, which is a neat book about time travel and tells of a lovely romance It was written by Audrey Niffenegger. Thanks so much Kath. i will be listening to the audios while I sew.

Hope everyone had a great day! I have had a lovely long walk with Joe, and we are now relaxing in our cottage. Everyone have a great weekend!
PS: Colleen asked me about the pattern that I used for the table runner. It came from Patchwork and Quilting Magazine(UK version), December, 2008 issue. The pattern was in Christmas fabrics, but I wanted it to match our decor, so I changed the fabrics. Full sized foundation piecing patterns and templates were provided, and the pattern was mostly paper pieced, which I love doing. There was no name to the pattern, except that they called it Country Christmas. You could make either a runner, like I did, or also make matching placemats. I just fell in love with it!

28 comments:

Colleen's Blog Long Island NY said...

That looks very pretty Micki from what I can see of it. What is the name of the pattern?

Zlaty said...

Adorable table runner!

My mom in Bulgaria used to have a stove like that but it broke and she got different one.

Nice gift you got!

Happy summer!

Zlaty :)

Snot Head (a.k.a Kylie) said...

I really want to see that movie. I haven't read the book, but I'm thinking the movie might be to emotionally rollecoaster-y for me. Who knows? Congrats on the gift, though, and the runner is very cute. Have a good weekend, lady!!

scraphappy said...

Your table runner turned out just lovely. It looks so decorative sitting there on the Stanley. I saw the commercial for Time Travelers Wife and noticed that it was also on my list of 100 books you must read, please let us know how you enjoy it.

Unknown said...

I'd like to see that movie as well. However, it looks emotional so I'll wait for it to come out on DVD, so I can cry at home vs the movie theater. lol

Betsy said...

Micki your runner is quite charming and I love the Stanley. Makes it very cozy indeed.

retdairyqueen said...

Stanley does indeed look pleased with his new table runner It is lovely I really like the colours you chose
Love Illene

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Micki I had no idea that there was a movie for this book...will have to look out for that now!!! And wow, lighting a Stanley at Christmas...2 different worlds we live in...usually Christmas Day in the Land Down Under can be quite hot...you have a great weekend too...Dzintra♥x

Anonymous said...

Very pretty runner.. and I love the stove.. I'm afraid I'd be lighting a fire in it quite often..

Daffycat said...

I really enjoyed TTW although many people have told me they had trouble following it. I've been seeing previews for the movie of it on TV this week.

Sue said...

I love Stanley's new blankie. He is a very lucky little stove.

Miriam said...

You have made a beautiful table runner for the Stanley. We used to have a stove a bit like that when I was very young. I can remember the wonderful meals that were cooked on that stove!

Jocelyn said...

Love the table runner. Cute stove!

Judy S. said...

Very pretty table runner, Micki. Great read also.

marina said...

Your runner looks lovely Micki.

Searchfamilies said...

The table runner is lovely i do like it & it looks beautiful on the stove, this looks like a mini aga that are in more country homes such as farmhouses or large kitchens you can get something like them in gas & electric from stores i love one but not enough room something like your stanley would would be nice.
I read the book & i enjoyed it apart from some of the bad language that is in it but would make a great film.
Hugs Janice

Chris H said...

What a gorgeous runner! You clever tart. I love the stove too!

Cattinka said...

You have made a very nice runner, the colours are great and it looks lovely on your stove.
KATRIN W.

Unknown said...

Micki, here at the cottage this summer we could sure use a stanley.

I had forgotten about these little beauties. We had one in the parlour when I was a kid growing up in eastern Canada.

Tammy said...

Very pretty table runner Micki!

Anonymous said...

The runner looks lovely and I like how you decorated the Stanley.


Willow

Unknown said...

I love the table runner and I LOVE the Stanley~ its comforting to have things from the past alongside us each day...

Annika said...

The table-runner is really beautiful! Now I finally have vacation, 5 weeks :)

Jackie's Stitches said...

You should be pleased with your table runner, Micki. It's gorgeous! I love hearing about your Stanley. I'm curious, what is the silver book you have on top?

How is the Time Travelers Wife? The movie is coming here but I generally don't like to read the book AND see the movie.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Great cover for your 'Stanley'. It's so interesting to hear how another part of the world heats their homes :)

Tracey said...

Love this table runner very much,
i agree with you these burners do let a lot of heat out to the home,

Take care

a good yarn said...

It looks fabulous Micki! Ann :)

Cindy F. said...

LOVE your beautiful table runner!!
Good job girl!!