Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sheepdog Trials and Judging in Dunfanaghy









Joe and I really had a lovely time at the Sheepdog Trials and Judging . We walked about two miles to get to the fields where the trials and judging were being held. Both of us got in for 5 euro. First, we saw the judging of the sheep, and after the judge weaned out sheep after sheep, three winners were chosen from each group that was judged. The sheep were so cute!







We then headed out to the other field and that was where the sheepdog trials were being held.
It was so exciting to see the handlers and the incredible sheepdogs work together . They had to get the sheep through three gates and finally had to get them into a small fenced in stall, and it wasn't easy, but each handler was successful in doing it. They were timed, and that was what made it hard, and of course the sheep didn't usually want to cooperate. The dogs were so intelligent, and it was amazing to see them respond to the handler's whistles, each of which was a specific command.










It started raining, so we went into the tent where they were selling sandwiches, coffee, etc. and there was much chit chat among friends. I talked to my friend Isabel, who is a member of the Sheephaven Guild, and then Joe and I sat at the table, and waited for the rain to stop. Then we walked two miles again and arrived at our wee cottage.

What a lovely time we had! I hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday too!

16 comments:

Colleen's Blog Long Island NY said...

I love sheepdogs. I would love to own one. You sound like you had a really nice time and got some exercise in at the same time. How is your diet coming along?

Daffycat said...

Ooo, ooo, love it! So wish I could have been there. My Sheba is so jealous; she has always wanted to try her paw at herding but alas, she is only a house-dog.

Maggi said...

What fantastic horns! My cat is fascinated with sheepdog trials on the TV - he stands on his hind legs with his nose a couple of inches from the screen when it is on. Lovely Stanley topper in the previous post.

Cattinka said...

Your post looks very irish, it was a pleasure to see!
KATRIN W.

Unknown said...

wow, what a great way to spend the day. you and joe just walk all the time.

Kath said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day Micki, my friend Linda had working sheepdogs and they are a delight to watch. The 2 terriers come up with them to fetch the cows, but they soon get distracted by the rabbits in the hedge! Kath x

Miriam said...

I love the black sheep, the stone fence, the green grass, and gosh, the horns on that ram!!!!!!

Sounds like you had a great day!

Nedra said...

I know Irish wool is among the best in the world! Cute sheepdog.

retdairyqueen said...

Don't you just love watching those dogs at work
I was raised on a sheep station where my Dad was a stockmen He always had great working dogs
Took me back to my childhood seeing your photos

Lurline said...

Would have been a great day - I love the border collies - we had one once!
Hugs - Lurline♥

webbsway said...

I too, love to watch the sheep dogs work - they are amazing.

I used to spin the wool and loved to do that also.

Thank you so much for sharing ! What a wonderful day!

Nat Palaskas said...

How fun Micki, I love watching sheepdogs in operation. They are very clever both the handlers and the dogs. I used to lived in the country in NSW, Australia and we used to go to see those kind of activities.

a good yarn said...

They are the cleverest doggies! Ann :)

Searchfamilies said...

What a lovely way to spend a Sunday i would love that, your photos make it a little like we are there well we are in spirit if not in person
Hugs Janice

Snot Head (a.k.a Kylie) said...

Love the pics!! I love the hills, and the green, and the relaxation! I e-mailed you shortly ago, and I'm glad to know you had a nice weekend. Your leg warmers are officially en route to you! :)

Anonymous said...

That's so neat! Your post reminds me of a scene in the movie "Babe". :)