Monday, July 27, 2009

Our Bedroom With the SBS Quilt, a New Needlecase, and A New Giveway




I finally put my Sylvia Bridal Sampler on our bed yesterday and had Joe take a pic. I was excited as it fit our new bed. Our last bed was much smaller, and this one was perfect for the quilt, so I was thrilled that it was no longer in a box stored away. That quilt has 140 blocks and took me four months to do, but I really feel that I learned the most from that quilt. Each block taught me a diferent technique, and it was definitely the quilt that I enjoyed doing the most. I am sure that you have a quilt that you did that holds your fondest memories. This is mine. I got a kick seeing it on our bed and Joe taking a pic of it with the oriental pillows that I made and the geisha quilt on the wall. If you ever want to do a sampler quilt, this one is so much fun to do. I used batiks and mostly Michael Miller fairy frost fabrics, but I have seen the quilt in numerous kinds of fabrics, each one giving it such a different look.Here is the link showing the quilt and all of the blocks. There was a book that was published recently about the quilt called Sylvia's Bridal Sampler,The Elm Creek Quilts by Jennifer Chiaverini. I found out about this quilt when I was reading Jennifer's series of books beginning with The Quilter's Apprentice. Once I read this book, I had to continue reading the series. It is all about the lives of quilters, and it is very addictive. The Sylvia Bridal Sampler was mentioned in one of her books.

Anyways, I thought you might like to see the pic!

There is also a wonderful giveway for cat lovers. You can find it here at Simply This and That.


Finally, I made a needlecase and it was so much fun to do! It is so easy to make and makes such a lovely gift for someone.


















39 comments:

Nat Palaskas said...

Wow Micki, Sylvia Bridal quilt looks great on your bed. I just love it! I agree, you never have too many needle cases. I love scissors and never have too many of them too - Hugs Nat

susis quilts said...

hello,the quilt looks fantastic,oh what a work, greetings, susi

Colleen's Blog Long Island NY said...

Micki, Love the SBS quilt. I have been working on one for awhile now and have 3 rows completed. I am doing mine in blue and white.

Anonymous said...

The quilt is so lovely and that Winnie the Pooh brought back some memoiries. My Son was really into him when he was little and I sat him on his bed too like you did. So many years ago. He is 30 years old now. His Sister was into Strawberry Shortcake.

Willow

marina said...

Micki, that quilt is just magnificent. Can't believe you did it in such a short time.
You are a talented woman!
(I like needlecases too, can you ever have too many?)
cheers
Marina

Betsy said...

Micki your quilt is outstanding. You did a lovely job .

Kath said...

Micki, your quilt looks wonderful, so homely and cozy.love Kath

Unknown said...

Your quilt, my friend, is a masterpiece~ I will never attempt one so I will simply enjoy yours!

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

Those are beautiful! Congratulations on finishing them.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Beautiful work as always Micki!!!
Now we seem to have the same books...I have The Quilters Apprentice lined up to read...have you read them all? Dzintra♥x

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Fabulous quilt! I purchased the book for the quilt, but haven't started it yet. Hopefully this winter I'll get started.
I too have read all the books, and felt like I was part of the Elm Creek family :)

Laurie said...

I adore the color scheme of your quilt! What a fun series of books to get into!

Judy S. said...

What a beautiful quilt, Micki! So glad you have it on display. Samplers are great, aren't they? No repetition!

Snot Head (a.k.a Kylie) said...

Now see, I would like to make quilts, but I will start small. I get overwhelmed too quickly, so I'm going to start a simple, small, rag quilt in the next few months. Can't wait, but great job on the quilt! Love the Winney the Pooh!!

Cattinka said...

How were you able to make this gorgeous quilt in just 4 month? It is so nice. And you are right you can never have enough needlecases. I neek lots of them because I always seem to be looking for one.
KATRIN W.

andsewon said...

Oh Micki..it is lovely!!! You are such a talented and prolific stitcher!!!! Such a show case there in your pretty bedroom of your quilting!
Cute needle case too!!
I finished The Lost Quilter and was pretty good. Read it yet??
Now Uncle Ollie wants to read so have to run i up there later.;-)
Hugs,
Lola

Anonymous said...

Wow...that quilt is very nice. So colorful and cheery. I've not mastered the art of quilting yet. I hope with time it will get better =) Meagan

Marlene said...

Micki the quilt is out of this world and in only four months. Our sewing club is starting it as a project so I may now have to attempt it.
Great blog.

Jocelyn said...

What an incredible quilt! You are such a talented quilter. I did pass your Friendship love on. You can read it on my blog :-)

Lisa V said...

Lovely quilt Micki, and I love your little needlecase aswell.

Liz said...

Wow Micki, that looks gorgeous on your bed, hope that Pooh not a bed hog at night?
Big hugs, lizzie
XOXO

a good yarn said...

It's such a delightful quilt, Micki. Seeing it on display obviously brings you joy. You should be very proud of your efforts. Ann :)

Mystica said...

Your quilt is a work of art - its not just sewing. I dont think I can ever come to your level so will just admire yours!

carole ann said...

Micki, that quilt is amazing. I am not sure if I would have the patience for that.

Vicki H. said...

I have finished reading the Elm Creek Quilt Series last year. I enjoyed them. After reading the, I found the Bridal Quilt pattern and thought hmmmm, some day. I had Dear Jane planned and a Civil War diary quilt. I will make one when the previously mentioned are done. I have to start paper piecing!!

chrissi said...

Hi Micki, nice pictures in your blog. I live in Canada and my husband went 32 times to Cavan for pike fishing and he had a great time, Christel

Searchfamilies said...

Hi Micki
The sewing cases are great & boy the Sylvia Bridal quilt looks beautiful, i also love the photo at the bottom of today's posting that a lovely quilt also you do fantistic work
Hugs Janice

Tammy said...

Your needle case is cute Micki! I love them too.
Your quilt is so beautiful! and inspiring I have this book also.
Very pretty on your bed.

Cindy F. said...

Micki! I would love to shop at your house! You have soooo many handmade goodies!
Your quilt is AMAZING!! I love the design and the colors!! Beautifully finished!!

Anonymous said...

My goodness, Micki! The quilt looks absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

Granny Lyn said...

Oh, I'm in love with that quilt!! and I am in awe that it only took 4 months!!!

I read the series, too, and loved them, and I admire your gumption to make the quilt!

scraphappy said...

Your SBQ is terrific. It is so fun seeing other people take the same patterns and blocks and turn them into such individual and unique expressions of themselves. Sampler quilts are especially fun in this way. The memories they hold are so much more than anything other people see when they look at them. I love to revisit all of those memories when I look at a finished quilt. I am glad you are able to use and display it on your new bed.

Jeanie said...

I just love that gorgeous quilt ! and it only took 4 months !?!?

The needlecase is cute !

Tracey said...

Beautiful quilt!! What a great feeling to finally have it on your bed, I know! Your needlecase is lovely too. You know I don't have one? I really like the new one by LHN but have not bought the kit yet.

Loralynn said...

Your quilt is gorgeous!!

CindyMae said...

Oh it is just simply gorgeous!!!!

Chris H said...

The sampler quilt is beautiful. Well done mate.

Patty said...

Thr bridal quilt looks fabulous!

Mrs Quilty said...

I just finished the reading series of Jennifer Chiaverini!!! Loved every one them! Hated to be done!! Yes, I love that bridal quilt and yours is lovely and looks wonderful on that bed with the bear and the pillows!!! Beautiful!!!