Thursday, August 27, 2009

My Stars and Stripes Quilt Finally, Well Wishes and Congratulations to Kylie, and Farewell to Ted Kennedy




I came up with a brilliant idea this morning! So many people were asking to see the Stars and Stripes top, so I finally thought of how to take a pic of it. DUH!!!! Joe would hold it! Why didn't I think of it before? It sort of makes the story about Joe climbing on ladders even funnier. Joe held the quilt for me, and I took the pic, and though it had a few wrinkles, because it is impossible to hold it up completely straight, I am proud to show you the quilt, and Joe's feet of course.LOL

It really did turn out beautifully, and I will be thrilled when it is hanging up! Joe laughed and said that he looked like the Headless Horseman...Yes, you can't see his cute face in the pic, but boy did he do a good job of holding it! Thanks Joe so much!!!!! The light from the back of the window and camera showed up on two points on the border, but you will excuse that I am sure.LOL

Also, a friend of mine named Kylie, whom I introduced to you a while back, is getting married, so if you have the time, send her some well wishes and congratulations at her blog. She is going through a bit of a hard time, but I am thrilled to bits that she is getting married, and I am so happy for her. She is thinking of her mom not being there at her wedding, as she died two years ago, and it got me thinking of my dad. Funny enough, I saw an episode of Beauty and the Beast today, and the story was so much like mine and it did remind me of Kylie also. I do try to just remember the good times that my dad and I had. The best memory was my dad reading the story The Velveteen Rabbit to me. I loved that story, and told Kylie today that I read a portion of that story at his funeral. Here is what I read:

What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"
"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."
"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.
"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."
"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

I sometimes reread that story, and it is lovely. It has gotten me through many a bad time, and I sent it to Kylie today. Here is the complete story of The Velveteen Rabbit, if you want to read it.

Kylie, congratulations on your wedding, and as I told you today, your mom will be smiling, as I am sure my dad did also when Joe and I got married.


Finally, I heard that Ted Kennedy died, and I was very saddened. I really loved all of the Kennedys, and I was so unhappy to hear it. I remember that I was in my French class the day that John F. Kennedy died, remember how I felt when I heard that Robert Kennedy was assasinated, and it seems that there was always sad news associated with the Kennedy family. Ted Kennedy was a Lion in the Senate, and I am sure that he will be missed greatly.All I can say is "Thank you and goodbye!"

31 comments:

Simone de Klerk said...

Terrific, the quilt! What a wonderful job (the quilt and Joe holding it LOL). I love the story you passed on to Kylie. Very beautiful. I will have a look at the whole story. Thank you for sharing. Our HD just arrived. We'll have to wait for Ger to fix it /O:

Nat Palaskas said...

Micki, that is beautiful and specially the socks!!! It will be great when it quilted. I am with you about Ted Kennedy. He was really committed to his responsibilities on healthcare and homeless. I am sad too. Hugs Nat

Lisa V said...

I loved your little section of the story, what a glorious way to look at something that is so special to you, I know I have certain teddies that I could never discard of no matter what! I even have a teddy that used to be my Mum's teddy when she was young.

a good yarn said...

Well done Joe! Great work on the quilt Micki. It's a triumph! Ann :)

Jocelyn said...

Oh wow Micki, the quilt turned out so beautiful!! Love it! I have also have pictures of headless quilts ;-) Sometimes it's the only way.

pajudie said...

Love your quilt, Micki. And great job, Joe!!! I have tears in my eyes reading the part of the "Velveteen Rabbit" - I'm sure your Dad is smiling down on you. And the last Kennedy brother passing - what a wonderful family they are with all their committment to those less fortunate than themselves. Teddy will be missed but his legacy will live on - that's all one can hope for.
Judie

Mary L. said...

The quilt looks wonderful. And I agree with you about Ted Kennedy.

Tracey said...

The quilt is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing it!

Kath said...

I've always been sure that the people we love are only out of sight. It's like they just popped out of the room, always in our thoughts and very real in our hearts.Kath xx

Quilter Going Bananas said...

I love Joe's feet! And the quilt too
of course :^) Kylie is lucky to have a friend like you, you are so sweet.

Pat from Florida said...

Your quilt is wonderful. Very patriotic for USA, your roots.

Tammy said...

The quilt is beautiful Micki! Even with feet ;-)
Lovely story to pass along too, kudos to you!

Chris H said...

Woooohoooo that quilt is AWESOOME!

Wendy said...

Micki, your quilt is beautiful! I know you are proud of it.

Snot Head (a.k.a Kylie) said...

Thank you lady! I really like the story. It is sweet. I am feeling much better as I said in my e-mail. I am ready to be excited about my wedding. I am ready to enjoy my wedding and stop associating it with such sadness. My mom would not be sad that I am not sad on my wedding day. She would be thrilled, and if she just happens to trip me while I'm walking up the aisle, she can have herself a good long laugh at that! She would love it. She really was a jokester. Thanks again. :)

Anonymous said...

I love your quilt! And I love the quote, so much so that my husband and I used it in our wedding! I think it is a beautiful statement regarding love, and what love means and is to everyone.

Julia said...

Well done Joe..Great quilt, so sad about TK, he was loved by many...
I remember when JFK died, the same year my DD was born...
Julia ♥

Maggey and Jim said...

Micki,
That really turned out spectacular. I will look so good on the wall and what a beautiful reminder of the US. Your work never ceases to amaze me
Hugs
Maggey

Granny Lyn said...

Oh, do I love that quilt top! You (and Joe) did a wonderful job!

We all mourn the loss of the Lion. Very sad in this country. Wish we had more families with such a gracious servitude as the Kennedys. God bless them!

Liz said...

Fablous Micki, I love your quilt and 'The Velveteen Rabbit' is one of my favourites too. He was a grand man Ted Kennedy and he did many good things for many people The end of the Dynasty.
Lizzie
XXX

Patty said...

Quilt looks awesome! Husbands do make excellent quilt holders don't they? Love the story you shared. It's funny how things remind you of family members passed. You made me think of my Dad. Yes it is sad to hear of Ted Kennedy's passing, he was my senator and he accomplished ,many good things. I think people don't realize how much good he did. They have a tendnecy to only see the flaws and he had a few, but that was only one side of him. I am proud to that he came from my state and that I voted for him. He was very approachable and helped some family members out in several ways. he will be missed.

webbsway said...

Dear Micki - your quilt is absolutely breath-taking!Joe is really "grounded" nicely!

You are so right about the Kennedy's - so much sadness for that family.

Wonder what your next project will be?????

Waiting to see - hugs - linda

marina said...

Micki, I think your quilt has legs, is it a portable quilt?
Looks great.
cheers Marina

Tracey said...

its a wonderful quilt Micki, yes its sad news about the Kennedy family,

take care
Tracey

Searchfamilies said...

What a lovely quilt & story
Hugs Janice

Anonymous said...

Hello Micki, love your quilt My Stars and Stripes....also for the link for Velveteen Rabbit...I have saved it to read.....Warm Regards Lyn

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Wow Micki this is wonderful...and Joe did a great job!!! Thanks for sharing The Velveteen Rabbit...I had not heard of that...Dzintra♥x

andsewon said...

WAY TA GO Micki!!Love it.I see some VA Fats were used in it as well.. ha!!
Joe is an awesome hold upper too...;-)
That is our family fav book as well. I used to read it to the Special Ed classes and they would just love it too.
Congrats on your pal getting married.Yes we miss our loved ones forever but they loved us and would want us to be happy.
Guess what we will be 70's F next week! YES!

Loralynn said...

Great job on your quilt! I love that excerpt from the story! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

HI Micki - I was really drawn to your eagle center on the Stars and Stripes quilt...great job! There is an eagle motif in my quilt future somewhere...just have to do it. Thank you for sharing & also I appreciate your listing my own blog site. We are so fortunate to have such a wonderful quilting community online. Have a good week.

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Hi Micki,
I love the Stars and Strips Quilt. It's beautiful.
Wow! your blog has grown by leaps and bounds since my last visit.
So sad about Teddy.