Monday, August 3, 2009

Stars and Stripes Forever




I started the wall-sized Sampler Quilt from the Stars and Stripes Sampler book by Liz Porter and Marianne Fons. I decided on the wall-size which is 44"x50". I will hang it up in the living room, as I wanted to have something of my home country, America. Being from Philly, one of my favorite areas of the city was Historical Philadelphia. I finished the top of the wall quilt called the Old Glory Flag Block, which is 10"X18", as you can see by the pic. Today, I will start cutting out the pieces for the larger Eagle Block which is 20"x26". I will be using Steam-A-Seam 2 fusible web to do the applique. I went to a big sale at my local quilt shop to get the fabric that I will need for the blocks. I am so looking forward to making it, as I have wanted something patriotic representing America for a long time.
I will post the pic of the eagle soon, as it will take me a day or two to complete it.
Joe is feeling a bit better, and thank you so much for asking.

I am off to start working on the Eagle Block. Happy Monday to everyone!


23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic Patriotic quilt!

Loralynn said...

I'm not a big fan of primitive things, but I love this quilt! I can't wait to see your finish, I'm sure it will be lovely!

Zlaty said...

You did a great job on the flag block! That will be a nice quilt for your living room!

Happy Monday to you too!

Zlaty

Shakerwood said...

I love that quilt. I'm from the Philly area, also, now living in South Carolina (for the last 30 years).

Marie said...

So happy Joe is better, love the Americana quilt girlfriend. Hugs,Marie

scraphappy said...

What a great project. I enjoy how each project you start has a specific purpose or place.

Browndirtcottage said...

Ooouuuu...I really like this Micki!! I want to make an Americana
quilt one day too!!!

Anonymous said...

I love it and you did such a great job.

Willow

Patty said...

looking Good!It'll be nice to have a bit of homeland with you I'm sure.
glad to hear Joe is on the mend.

Miriam said...

What a great quilt! Can't wait to watch your progress.

Good news that Joe is feeling much better.

Tammy said...

Love this quilt Micki, can't wait to see yours!
Glad Joe is feeling better.

retdairyqueen said...

What a lovely wall hanging and I'm sure you will do it proud
Glad Joe is feelinga bit better
Take care

Bunny said...

That looks like a great wall hanging love those Patriotic quilts.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Micki...this is gorgeous...I do have a soft spot for Americana (as I call it anyway). When I did my first blocks on my 20 year quilt we had an American teacher♥x

Granny Lyn said...

Oohh! I can't wait to see it all done and on the wall! I love this pattern!

Vicki H. said...

I am a BIG fan of Americana quilts. I have made several blocks but I don't think I have made a whole quilt. I think this is a great pattern. Your flag looks great. The eagle looks challenging.

webbsway said...

Micki, your quilt is lovely. I would have a heart attack to tackle something that complicated.

So thankful to hear that Joe is improving. Maybe it won't be long before your can be back on your walks again.

I keep wondering how much longer before it starts turning cold there?
Hugs

Nat Palaskas said...

I love it, stars and stripes are my favorite fabric and I have collected a lot too. Your quilt looks great. You would be proud hanging on your wall.

Judy S. said...

Nice work, Micki! This is going to be fun to watch progress.

Unknown said...

Wow, Micki!
I like that and it is very patriotic! hooray!
hugz
Pam

Searchfamilies said...

What a lovely wall hanging that will be, i wish i had space to have wall hangings
I know you will do a great job & look forward to seeing it's progress & finish
Hugs Janice

a good yarn said...

That's a nice pattern, Micki. Congratulations on winning one of Lola's giveaways. Weren't we lucky? Ann :)

Frog Quilter said...

Love the wall hanging. Happy Wednesday from SC.