Thursday, August 6, 2009

Schoolhouse Block


This is the third block that I completed in the Stars and Stripes Wallhanging that I am doing. If you look at the August 3rd post, you will see where this block will go in the wallhanging. It is 12 inches, and it was a lot of work. They didn't give me a paper pieced pattern for the roof, so I had to draw the pattern onto foundation paper based on the measurements that they gave in the roof section diagram. I now have 5 more blocks to complete. I will have to get some more fabric, and since my quilt shop is having a big sale, now is the time to do it.


I was busy with the block for a few hours in the afternoon, and now Joe and I will be heading out for our long walk, and we are definitely into fall weather now. We had about a week's worth of summer weather, and most of the summer has been like fall. Off for our hike...hope your day has been a good one!

26 comments:

Cattinka said...

Your new schoolhouse looks really nice! You have done a great job.
KATRIN W.

SewCalGal said...

I really like your schoolhouse block. Very cute. And I love sales. Wish I could go shopping with you. That would be so much fun!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

quiltmamajb said...

Micki - so many exciting things!!!!The blocks for the sampler are terrific! That is going to look so nice in your cottage. I'm glad to hear that Joe is feeling better. And how exciting that you are in the Irish Quilting magazine. I am anxiously awaiting my copy - I have a subscription and just love it! Now, I am really looking forward to it. I can't wait to read about you. I enjoy Kim's blog as well. Thanks for commenting on our Quiltmama blog - when I told the girls where you lived, they were just amazed. Have a wonderful weekend...hope you get to see the Harry Potter movie soon. Take care...piece.

Jean

Unknown said...

Glad to hear hubby is up and about...walking is a good sport to do together..... I really like your schoolhouse block! Kudos to you for making your own pp pattern! It looks lovely, and for all the trouble and work you put into making the block....the house looks perfect! Hooray!
hugz
Pam

Kath said...

So cute! Kath x

Betsy said...

Micki the house block is very nice. I woud simply die if the pattern or instructions were missing on mine. I would not know what to do like you did. Good save.

Patty said...

Good job on the block. It can be very frustrating when patterns are incorrect or missing. Good for you for sticking with it. Enjoy your shopping trip.

Julia said...

Your new schoolhouse looks really great Micki..
You did great, even without the right instructions..
Julia ♥

Anonymous said...

This block is just beautiful. I love houses, schoolhouse blocks. I think they are always so much fun to look at.

webbsway said...

Your block is coming along so beautifully ! I was interested in your weather. Here in Va. it has not been "hot" this summer and cool at night - in the 60's. But I just looked at the weather and they are calling for it to get up to 90 over the weekend! I won't know how to act.Hubby and I took our walk this afternoon and we covered 4 miles.

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Oh my! You had to draft the roof? Yikes! I'd run for the hills! Glad you perservered though :^)

Nat Palaskas said...

I love the red schoolhouse block. Perfect for the Stars and Stripes quilt.

Nedra said...

Your blocks are coming along nicely!

Searchfamilies said...

Lovely block it great, we only had really one great week of summer so far, it still wet & damp here & been raining overnight so we are in the same boat start paddling lol
Hugs Janice

Annelies said...

Your schoolhouse block loks very beautiful.
We had a few warm days in The Netherlands, but in the afternoon we will get rain and the temperature will fall down again.

Liz said...

Lovely block Micki, can't wait to see the whole thing. Enjoy the walk
Lizzie
XXX

Anonymous said...

Your schoolhouse block is wonderful!
I love it .

Rena

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Micki...I saw a pattern for this yesterday at the Craft Fair!!! Dzintra♥x

Tracey said...

Cute!! I bet this is going to be lovely when it's finished. I am SO jealous of your weather!! It is supposed to be 99 here on Sunday- 94 tomorrow, 90s today.. you get the picture. UGH.

Anonymous said...

It looks great, can't wait to see the whole thing finished.

Willow

Mrs Quilty said...

I love your schoolhouse! Adorable! By the way, I love your pic of your bedfellows! Adorable!

Mary L. said...

Hi Micki,
I'm so glad I found your blog (Anneliese sent me the link). I've made the American Sampler pattern in the past and enjoyed it very much.
I've tried to contact you by email to find out if you ever received the siggie I sent you back in April. I've not heard back from you so wonder if my emails are being blogged by a spam program or something. Hope to hear from you.
Mary

ceecee said...

I can't believe you said it is fall weather there! Lucky girl!
Catherine

Maggi said...

A really cute block and congratulations on getting into Irish Quilting. I don't know about Fall weather, it is a real scorcher here today. Maggi x

Bunny said...

Oh how wonderful is your schoolhouse block I love it.

Jennifer Williams said...

How darling is this? You did a great job!