Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Blazing Star




I finished another block for the Stars and Stripes wallhanging. This one is a 12 inch block called The Blazing Star. Here is what they said about this block in the book: "In a flash of inspiration, Francis Scott Key wrote the words to our national anthem in 1814. Held aboard a British ship during the bombardment of Baltimore's Ft. McHenry, Key spied the broad stripes and bright blazing stars of the flag throuh a haze of gunsmoke. The song, performed in public a few days later, became popular immediately." Well, this star is named appropriately. It is like a blazing star, and what I love about it is that it has incredible dimension to it. The gold part seems to pop out. It is all paper pieced, and it was hard to match all the points, but it is now one of my favorites.

I wanted to thank Kath for her suggestion about making a label for the back of the quilt, where I would explain the history and story behind each block. What a great idea Kath, and thank you again!

Well, just one more block to go and I can put the top together...I am heading to the quilt shop to buy some more gold fabric, so I can complete the last block. YEAH!!!!!!!!

33 comments:

Maggey and Jim said...

Hello,
This is coming along so nicely..I really like this block and it does look difficult but gorgeous..You will have a treasure when finished. I love quilts with history behind them. Hope you and Joe are doing well.
Hugs,
Maggey

Mama Spark said...

I can't wait to see this one all finished. What a wonderful pattern!

Miriam said...

Wow, it seems like only yesterday when you started this quilt. I love that star. It does really pop. Your points are perfect!!!

Browndirtcottage said...

oooouuuuu...I am s-o-o-o-o- loving this one!!!!

Jocelyn said...

I LOVE the idea of adding the history to the blocks. Genius!

Unknown said...

oh la la, love that star....

Nedra said...

Your star block turned out wonderful. I saw a whole quilt done with just that star block and it was beautiful too. Love the dimentional look.

Searchfamilies said...

Very nice well done
Hugs Janice

Mary L. said...

Great job. You're making me want to make this pattern a second time. It really was fun.

Colleen's Blog Long Island NY said...

e that star Micki.

Betsy said...

Micki, stunning. All the fabrics work so well together.

Maggi said...

I really like the three-dimensional look of this block. Maggi

SewCalGal said...

Beautiful block. It is going to be difficult for me to wait to see this quilt finished. All the blocks look lovely.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Kath said...

Oh the perfect-ness of those points (sigh) Kath xx

Tracey said...

Gorgeous!! I love the colors.

Rena said...

Hi Micky,
your Blazing Star is beautiful !
I can`t wait to see all finished. I love it .
Thank you very much for your daily comment ;-)

Rena

Granny Lyn said...

The stories are almost as beautiful as the blocks. All of the blocks are coming about so nicely,,,, and I agree about the label, what a good idea!

Chris H said...

I really like that one!

Julia said...

Oh, I love this block!..looks great!
Julia ♥

Laurie said...

ooh, I really like this one!

Loralynn said...

This is my favorite one so far! I love your material choices, they are perfect together!

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

That gold star does pop out Micki...it's wonderful...Dzintra♥x

webbsway said...

O Micki - it is breath - taking! Is this one of those projects that is like one of your books - that once you start you don't want to put it down - OR - is it so strenuous that you are glad for a break? Or is it one of those projects that you are just enjoying the process as you go along? This is my very favorite piece so far!
hugs, linda

Mrs Quilty said...

Dear Micki, I love that block! It is amazing! Such depth and wonderful coloring! Good Job! I can't wait to see the completed top! The history behind each block is so interesting!!! Thanks for sharing that part!

marina said...

You are just breezing through these blocks Micki. They are just beautiful.

carole ann said...

I love this block, one of the things I love so much about quilting is the way they can look three dimensional. Keep up the good work and cannot wait to the finished product. That is a great idea about the history of the quilt as well.

randi said...

Very pretty block! I quilt too, but I am in the simpler stages of things. Maybe someday I will try something this intricate!

Dena said...

I love the blocks you've sewn for your quilt. Nice job! Great idea to put the history of each block into your quilt label. I'm anxious to see your finished quilt.

Anonymous said...

Oh my Micki, that's an amazing block! The dimensionality of the star is astounding.

Well done.!

Judy S. said...

Nice work on your latest blocks, Micki. I love your fabric choices, especially this one. It's perfect! I, too, am anxious to see it sewn together!

Deb York said...

Micki,
Great fabric choices on this block. Looks like you did a great job on the "Y" seams, too.
Deb

Ivory Spring said...

My goodness, Micki - your blocks are looking sooo good. The latest one is probably my favorite!

a good yarn said...

That's stunning, Micki. Ann :)