Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Two More Blocks for the Stars and Stripes Wallhanging




This morning, I made the Life block and Declaration Star Blocks. The Life Block is a 10 inch block, and it is so colourful and fun to make.
The Declaration Star Block is also 10 inches. I made a four patch and then fused the circle and star onto it. I am enjoying reading the history behind each block. The Life Block shows the different paths we take in our lives and how many of them cross each other. The Declaration Star Block
represents the independence of America from Great Britain, and the Declaration was of course officially adopted by the Continental Congress on July 4, 1776. It has been amazing making this wall hanging for me, as I did come from Philadelphia originally, as I have mentioned so many times before.

Anyways, I have two more blocks to do , and then I will put the top together. It will be exciting to see the wall-size sampler put all together.

15 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Micki, I love how your blocks are coming together. The fabrics are so vibrant! I know you will enjoy this quilt when you get it all put together.

Nedra said...

Your patriotism is showing through. All are coming together nicely.

Tracey said...

So pretty! Can't wait to see it finished. :)

Kath said...

How lovely to have a sense of history in your work. I look forward to seeing it completed. Will you add a label on the back, which explains about the blocks? KAth x

Unknown said...

Heh Micki, i love the life block. Your colours are so very well co-ordinated. As always...

quiltmamajb said...

Micki - the colors are just lovely! I can't wait to see the completed top. I like Kath's idea of adding a label with explanations of the blocks - you are putting so much thought and so much of yourself into it. It would be nice for folks to know that information in years to come. I often wonder what the quilter was thinking when I look at an antique quilt. Hope you and Joe are enjoying these last weeks of August - it'll be gone all too soon. Piece...

Maggi said...

This is going to make a really colourful hanging. Lovely. Maggi

Mumzie said...

Micki, The colors are lovely. One day, I will pull out my quilting again. Have a great day. Mumzie :)

Tammy said...

These blocks are coming along very nicely Micki, can't wait to see them all together.

Chris H said...

You may live in Ireland mate, but you are still an American at heart! Love the blocks.

webbsway said...

Micki - I think your color choices are beautiful! But someone as beautiful as you - it has to show through!

Liz said...

All the blocks are looking amazing Micki, the red, white and blue is always fabulous no matter which hemisphere you're in!!
Lizzie
XXX

Loralynn said...

Your blocks are lovely!

SewCalGal said...

Your blocks are delightful. I can't wait to see this quilt when it is finished. The Star block design is new to me. Very nice.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

"It has been amazing making this wall hanging for me, as I did come from Philadelphia originally..."

And by chance, did you not do as much appreciating of living in Philadelphia ['The Cradle of the American Revolution,' is it called?] then, as you do now? You know, the old, "I never visited the sights in my own home town" thing... :-)

A lot of us, are like that... People come from miles around, to see things, in our own home town. But have we 'seen' them?

Aunt Amelia