
I just ordered some fabric for my pillowcases. I wasn't happy with what I had. I will finish the pillowcases next week, as I ordered this really neat blue Bella solid fabric for the 9 inch strip of the pillowcase and some thirties fabric for the 2 inch strip.Don't you just love them? The solid bright yellow, I will use for the main part of the pillow, and then hand sew the Dresdens onto the two pillowcases. Kimberly already shipped the fabric, so it should arrive by Wednesday...I will have them done by next weekend.Now, for the tutorial on the circle quilt. Here is how I did it all. I decided while I was waiting for the pillowcase fabric to start on my circle quilt, and boy am I having fun with it all!
Here is a pic of the circle die and the 6x12 cutting mat. I used the Sharpie again to outline the dies around the blades.To prepare the fabric for the cut, I used a layer cake, and then ironed to it a square of Heat and Bond Double Fus
ible that I cut out for each 4 that I did at a time. With the fusible ironed behind each block, I decided to do only four at a time...but boy was it easy!
ible that I cut out for each 4 that I did at a time. With the fusible ironed behind each block, I decided to do only four at a time...but boy was it easy!For the fun, I drew a circle onto freezer paper and cut out one circle...Don't ask me how long that took and it was nerve wracking to get the circle just cut out right. The GO made it so easy.
This way, I was cranki
ng four at a time,it was going chick chock and voila, four beautiful cut circles from gorgeous 1930's fabrics.Now, here is a tip to get the circle pefectly on the layer cake.
As you can see by the photo, I folded the layer cake into quarters, and then did that also for the circle and it was easy to
see where the centre was and to line up the circle perfectly before I ironed it to the block.
see where the centre was and to line up the circle perfectly before I ironed it to the block. Joe took a pic of some of the blocks, so you can get an idea how the quilt will look...I have tons more cut out, but you can see how I will be alternating the blocks in the quilt.
I just have to finish cutting them out today, and then I will be using a blanket stitch on the machine around each circle...I think I will
have to get some more fusible from our local shop, as I don't think I will have enough, even though I got three metres. After all the blanket stitching is done, I will be able to sew the blocks together and then sew the rows together.
have to get some more fusible from our local shop, as I don't think I will have enough, even though I got three metres. After all the blanket stitching is done, I will be able to sew the blocks together and then sew the rows together.It will be a very bright, happy quilt...just what our bedroom needs, and Joe put in a special request for me to use the bright yellow, so he got just what he asked for.
Hope you enjoyed the tutorial.....Joe will be taking some pics this week of our village and area, and I will post a few, as someone requested that I do that ....a new blogger friend of mine named Bridgette.
17 comments:
Great looking quilt! I am enjoying seeing your progress and experimentation!
That sure will be a fun quilt when you are finished.
Wonderful! I would get lost after the first circle....if only I could quilt. Looks really fun and love the fabric. Mumzie :)
That Go cutter seems to help everyone get fast results. I love your fabrics! Very pretty and delicate.
Nice tutorial. The "how to center the circle" is excellent advice.
Yes, cutting the circles (or any of the shapes) on the GO! is much faster!
What an easy way to cut out your circles, Micki! It must have been fun to do a comparrison with cutting one out by hand.
I think your blue and yellow pillowcases will be gorgeous. I have always loved that color combination.
Looking forward to the village pictures!!!
It looks like you're having a ton of fun! It's going to be a beautiful quilt. I like how you figured out the center of each circle to make sure it was placed correctly.
Colleen makes cutting out much faster and you seem to enjoying learning how to use her.
the blue and yellow pillows cases will be lovely. Looking for to see both your quilt and pillow cases.
What a fun quilt Micki.... it is hard to get the circles exactly when you do it by hand...I did a circle quilt a while back (without the go)....you have to draw, fuse, cut...alot of work. This saves alot of time...you will be done before to long.
love those fabrics!
looking great, Micki. Love the fabric you picked.
Oooh! I LOVE blue and yellow! Can't wait to see the quilt! SO excited to see the pic after the weekend, have a good one and will be looking for you on your blog! *HUGS*
Looks like you are having a lot of fun Micki! What a great invention that Go cutter is! Are there quilt shops close to where you live or do you order online?
Very nice tutorial, thanks for the tip on centering. Looking forward to seeing the village pics.
That looks so easy !! Beautiful fabric !!
Colleen and you are having so much fun Micki...sure makes cutting the circles easy..I can never cut a perfect circle.
It will be very pretty.
Julia ♥
Oh I do like that fabric. And I love making pillowcases! I have them to switch out on my bed all the time! Did you notice the really fun retro 50's ones I just made? Aren't they too fun!
Post a Comment